Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Warren Sapp: Josh Freeman is an MVP candidate

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT

Warren Sapp won a Super Bowl ring during his time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but after spending time around the Bucs today, he said he’s jealous of what the current Bucs team has.

Specifically, Sapp said that Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman is better than any quarterback Sapp ever had for a teammate in Tampa Bay.

“The one thing this team has that I never had is a franchise quarterback,” Sapp told the Tampa Tribune. “They have a franchise quarterback and I see the kid as an MVP candidate this year.”

Freeman has obvious physical tools, but Sapp is more impressed with Freeman’s leadership qualities.

“This young man, there’s something about him,” Sapp said. “Watching this kid grow and watching the young men around him grow with him, he commands them.”

Source: ProFootballTalk

He's gonna continue to grow, and I am not denying that he could have an outstanding year.... But I think we are still a couple years out before he is a legit MVP type guy.

With QBs in the league still like Peyton, Tom, Brees, Rivers, and Rodgers... It's gonna be hard to beat out ALL those guys.

I agree with Sapp. Definetely worthy of the MVP. Who cares if the season hasn't even started yet.

I think he definitely has the potential too and can be a candidate this year. Doubt he will win, but I could see him in the competition if he continues to improve. Last year he was amazing, and now he has a full year under his belt and his weapons should only be getting better as well.

As long as Peyton and Brady are playing, he'll never sniff an MVP.

I don't think people know the difference between being an MVP candidate and actually winning it.

Can't be a candidate if you don't have a shot to win IMO.

He's gonna continue to grow, and I am not denying that he could have an outstanding year.... But I think we are still a couple years out before he is a legit MVP type guy.

With QBs in the league still like Peyton, Tom, Brees, Rivers, and Rodgers... It's gonna be hard to beat out ALL those guys.

Yeah I agree with this. Still a couple of years away probably. Though he definitely has all the tools to take a good shot at it.

All indications from camp are that Freeman has been damn near perfect. His hitting his receivers on target, making all the throws and looking cool as ice in the pocket. It helps that the offensive line is also beginning to solidify. Now that of course is against our defense, which still has a ways to grow. I think anytime you have a franchise QB leading his team, he is a candidate for MVP but that of course will depend on how far he takes the Bucs and how far Brady, Vick and Manning take their teams.