Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

Driving

How fast do you typically drive (in relation to the speed limit)?

What's the fastest you've ever driven?

I generally drive between 3-10mph over the speed limit on side streets and 10-15 over on the expressways. Fastest I've ever driven is a tie between when I was driving through South Dakota with when I was driving through Indiana. Drove 88mph both times (limit was 70 in IN and 75 in SD). The fastest I've ever gone as a passenger was 100mph, my dad driving through Wyoming.

How fast do you typically drive (in relation to the speed limit)?

What's the fastest you've ever driven?

I generally drive between 3-10mph over the speed limit on side streets and 10-15 over on the expressways. Fastest I've ever driven is a tie between when I was driving through South Dakota with when I was driving through Indiana. Drove 88mph both times (limit was 70 in IN and 75 in SD). The fastest I've ever gone as a passenger was 100mph, my dad driving through Wyoming.

10-15 mph over the limit? Yikes. How many tickets have you gotten, if any?

I usually stick to 5 over. Cruise control is my sidekick.

The fastest I've gone? 110 in a friend's van. Engine was smoking and rattling afterwards.

I am usually never under 5 over unless there is bad weather, heavy traffic, etc etc. So somewhere between 5-10 over almost always.

Fastest I went was about 118 or so in my mom's van on the highway at about 1 in the morning driving back from Adventure Land... My mom was asleep in the passenger seat. Pretty much topped it out, and I am pretty sure the van completely died a few weeks later. I take no responsibility for that.

Edited by Favre4Ever

10-15 mph over the limit? Yikes. How many tickets have you gotten, if any?

Only had my license for one year and haven't gotten a ticket yet. I usually go 70 (speed limit is 55) and I'm one of the slower cars out there. People pass me at 80+ constantly. Everyone here in Chicago drives like it's a constant race.

And I never go 15 over on the side streets. I try to always go 5 over on the side streets.

Go with the flow of traffic, so whatever the average speed around me is :shrug:

Go with the flow of traffic, so whatever the average speed around me is :shrug:

Old people and women severely throw that strategy off course.

I usually leave early and take it easy on gas, plus enjoy listening to the seattle sports radio station debates. Seattle traffic also is alot worse than average. The road system out here is major fail.

Edited by BC

Going with the flow of traffic is the best way to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb. I rarely go 10 over, even if the general flow is moving faster. The less attention I draw the better.

Highways:

Speed limit 55mph - I do 70.

Speed Limit 65 - Still do 70.

On city roads and such I generally do the speed limit. But on back roads as long as they aren't too bumpy I just do whatever lol

Guest Phailadelphia

No more than 5 over unless I'm on a road trip and going with the flow of left lane traffic.

I hate driving... so usually I'm about 5 KPH (about 3 miles) under the speed limit.

Old people and women severely throw that strategy off course.

Women cut me off a lot, but I wouldn't say they drive slow. They're just like men; you get some slow drivers and some fast drivers. The fastest driver I know is a woman. 90 in a 55 is typical for her on the freeway.

In regards to the flow of traffic, I like that rule as long as it isn't to the extremes. I usually stay 5-7 over the speed limit, but I was just out on my local road and traffic was moving at 55 in a 40. I only went 50 because I didn't want to risk a ticket, but I went faster than normal because traffic was. If traffic was going the speed limit, I would, too. Where I draw the line is when traffic is going under the speed limit.

Edited by WindyCitySports

I had my license suspended for accumulating too many points in a 12 month period, so now I'm the little old lady on the road.

Fastest is 100+

that's also an automatic impound in my neck of the woods, so it's not worth it. A 30-day hold on the vehicle, with daily fees accruing, hits you deep in the wallet.

I tend to go 8mph over the posted limit.

I got my Supra up to 122 on I-95 as I was driving back home after purchasing it in Virginia.

Used to be i'd see how much i could get way with on the streets.

until i had three speeding tickets and one hit from behind, i lived and learned.

Now:

Side Streets - 5 mph over the limit

Highways - Cruise Control.

70-75 on State Highways (65) and County Roads (55). Interstate I usually go between 79-85 (75), depending on how heavy traffic is. I make a 1 hour drive to school multiple times a week, so I'm really sick of that drive and tend to just get it over with ASAP.

Fastest? I dunno. 90ish.

I try to keep it under 15mph over in the city...I do not speed in school zones at all, nor in construction zones with workers present.

Fastest around 140mph on my bike, over 100mph I don't spend hardly any time checking the speedo, I need to watch the road for hazards, slow cars, and cops.

I'm a careless driver with a reckless disregard for the haterz... Lol, j/k.

But I really don't know, most of the time I drive 10 or 15 mph over the limit. I remember one time I was driving through a neighborhood and I guess I was driving too fast, so a guy tried to jump in front of me to get me to slow down.... Hopped outa the way real quick... Only place where I don't go 10-15+ is on the highway... but that's cause I am afraid of being on the highway...

But I have never tried to go over 90, hell, I've probably never even gotten to 90....

5-15 over the limit, usually.

No idea what my fastest was. never been big into seeing how fast I could go. Probably 100 in a car that wasn't mine.

Oh yeah, I don't speed through neighborhoods either...especially my own, my bike is pretty loud and I have cops in my neighborhood, so I try to creep around there in the AM when I leave for work.

I forgot to add this. Like I said, I generally stick to 5 over, but sometimes I will go what some people would consider too fast if 1. traffic is moving really fast (it's contagious) or 2. I am in a rush and/or feel like going quicker and see someone speed by me, at which point I will get behind them and use them as a shield, which makes me feel safer from the cops.

I like driving.

Edited by WindyCitySports

Highways are often pretty congested here, so I typically don't go that fast. Just go with the flow of the traffic.

As for side streets and relatively long stretches of road, I usually go 5-15 over on side streets, and 20-30 over on longer stretches of road. 60-70 MPH is usually the standard for me in 40 MPH zones. I'm ALWAYS aware of my surroundings, though. Big reason why I've never had an accident... nor gotten pulled over in 3 years of having my license.

Really depends on the side street. Most side streets I only do 5 over, but some I do 10 over. Highway I usually do 10 over (like the speed limit is 65 here I do 75). I know troopers and they say they only really pull over for 11+ over.

I've gone 100 or a tad over twice in my car.

It depends. If I know the area where I am I'll probably go 5-15 over (gotten pulled over twice for speeding haha). But if I'm in an unfamiliar place, I slow down a lot just because I don't wanna miss my turn or anything.