Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

So You're Starting Your Own NFL Franchise

You get to pick one experienced veteran (30+ years old) AND one up-and-comer (3 years or less in the league) from any other team.

Who do you choose and why?

I'd go with Brian Urlacher to anchor my defense and Josh Freeman to build my offense around and be the future face of my franchise.

Peppers as the pressure he provides instantly upgrades the Dline and if he doesn't get to the ball it allows others to make plays.

The Up an Coming player I would take would be Sam Bradford, He showed a lot of poise for the Rams last year and with a better supporting cast is going to be a top 3 QB in the NFL.

I agree with Ranga's choices, although Lance Briggs may be a better choice than Urlacher. I agree with Freeman though.

30 and up, give me an offensive lineman, Harvey Dahl to be exact. A bruiser like that can only be a positive to my great team. The up and coming player would be Josh Freeman. I wanted to choose someone different, but QB's just have too much value to ignore, and Freeman does great with bad offensive linemen so he should be impenetrable...

:D

Is Matt Ryan considered "3 Years or Less"? If So I'm taking him. But in case, I'll just exclude Matt Ryan lol

3 Years or Less:

Sam Bradford - Guy has great accuracy, and he looks like he's going to be a leader. Just adding him to the Rams team gave them a shot at winning the division. (However poor the division is.) He can make all the throws an NFL quarterback needs to make, and he has pretty decent arm strength. He can only get better. Because I want a guy that will LEAD my team for years to come.

30 and over:

Ed Reed - Could I have chosen anybody else? Ed Reed has been the defensive example of clutch for years now. Sure, I could have taken Troy Pol, but I have always liked Reed over Troy any day. He's a leader on defense, and he will come up in big situations. He's a natural ball hawk, and when he gets the ball he doesn't just lay down, he scores touchdowns. Health concerns? Sure they are there, but it's a gamble I would be willing to take! If I was building a football team, I know that Ed Reed would take the rest of the defense under his wing, and make them absolutely nasty.

Oh, and honorable mention to Ndamukong Suh. I almost took him :O

Edited by Chris D

Up-And-Comer: Matt Ryan. He's a proven winner and has established himself as one of the top 10 QB's in the NFL. He's smart, relatively accurate, and knows how to put points up on the board. The NFL has become a QB driven league and there isn't a QB with 3 years or less that I'd take over him.

Veteran: James Harrison. He's getting older, but he's still a HUGE threat to opposing QB's. He can get to the QB, stuff the run game, and even drop back into coverage if it's asked of him. He's won championships and knows how to handle pressure that the big games bring. He's one of the hardest hitters in the NFL, and while he might not have the best attitude, he would boost any defense he played in.

Honorable Mentions:

Up-And-Comer: Josh Freeman. His accuracy has improved drastically, he is a hard target to bring down, and while he can win with his arm, he also can with his legs. He's a nightmare for defenses on 3rd and short and is very efficient.

Veteran: Nnamdi Asomugha. He's a shutdown corner that virtually takes whoever he's covering out of the game. He scares opposing QB's and causes them to throw to the other side of the field. Not only does he lock down his reciever, but he can be a player who locks down half of the field. Offenses hate him, defenses love him. He'd make any defensive secondary better and has the NFL experience to help mentor younger players and boost their playing and confidence.

Up-And-Comer: Matt Ryan. He's a proven winner and has established himself as one of the top 10 QB's in the NFL. He's smart, relatively accurate, and knows how to put points up on the board. The NFL has become a QB driven league and there isn't a QB with 3 years or less that I'd take over him.

Veteran: James Harrison. He's getting older, but he's still a HUGE threat to opposing QB's. He can get to the QB, stuff the run game, and even drop back into coverage if it's asked of him. He's won championships and knows how to handle pressure that the big games bring. He's one of the hardest hitters in the NFL, and while he might not have the best attitude, he would boost any defense he played in.

Honorable Mentions:

Up-And-Comer: Josh Freeman. His accuracy has improved drastically, he is a hard target to bring down, and while he can win with his arm, he also can with his legs. He's a nightmare for defenses on 3rd and short and is very efficient.

Veteran: Nnamdi Asomugha. He's a shutdown corner that virtually takes whoever he's covering out of the game. He scares opposing QB's and causes them to throw to the other side of the field. Not only does he lock down his reciever, but he can be a player who locks down half of the field. Offenses hate him, defenses love him. He'd make any defensive secondary better and has the NFL experience to help mentor younger players and boost their playing and confidence.

Matt Ryan isn't exactly an "up-and-comer." Sure he's young, but, like you said, he's established himself as Top 10 in the NFL and a proven winner (usually). Once you've established yourself as a winner, you are no longer a dark horse.

Might take some ridicule but I'll make mine a little different.

Up and Comer: Cameron Wake. I'm not sure if he really counts in this class because of his age, but I chose him because of the limited time he has played and the impact he has already shown he can make as a DE and as a blitzing linebacker. I'm a big fan of aggression and tenacity and he has plenty of both.

30 and Over: Drew Brees. I want to start my franchise off on the right foot with a thoroughly proven veteran at the offensive helm. He could easily have another 5 years left in him (barring serious setback), giving me time to find the heir apparent. In the meantime, I'd have a guy who knows how to find the open man with precision and poise on a consistent basis.

Guest MikeyDay

Might take some ridicule but I'll make mine a little different.

Up and Comer: Cameron Wake. I'm not sure if he really counts in this class because of his age, but I chose him because of the limited time he has played and the impact he has already shown he can make as a DE and as a blitzing linebacker. I'm a big fan of aggression and tenacity and he has plenty of both.

30 and Over: Drew Brees. I want to start my franchise off on the right foot with a thoroughly proven veteran at the offensive helm. He could easily have another 5 years left in him (barring serious setback), giving me time to find the heir apparent. In the meantime, I'd have a guy who knows how to find the open man with precision and poise on a consistent basis.

Wake is a beast, he def a 3-4 playmaker and gets major pressure idk who would say thats a bad choice. And Brees is enough said.

Most are taking their vet on defense; interesting.

Tom Brady easily gets my nod, along with Clay Matthews.

You don't specify players only so my veteran will be Bill Belichick and my up and come will be Josh Freeman. My team could have a lot of scrubs and Belichick would find a way to win. Add in Josh Freeman so he has a good QB to work on, the team will be good after a couple of drafts.

While Matt Ryan has established himself as an elite top 10 quarterback, I still think he falls into the "up and comer" category simply on the rule put at the beginning of the topic that says "3 years or less". The season begins on September 11th, so he technically has only played for 3 seasons. It's pushing it, I know. If not Ryan, than Freeman. Or maybe I could relook the whole think and pick a young defensive player and a vet offensive player. This post 2 years from now would easily have Aaron Rodgers on it for me if he stays healthy, elite, and doesn't get more concussions (which goes with being healthy).

Most are taking their vet on defense; interesting.

Tom Brady easily gets my nod, along with Clay Matthews.

yep. Tom Brady any day of the week and twice on Sundays.