badgers

Nick Collins gone for season

Packers FS Nick Collins' neck injury is season ending.

A tough break after an initial Sunday CT scan of Collins' neck came back negative. Any time a neck injury is serious enough to knock a player out for the season, it has to be considered career threatening, so it's entirely possible Collins has played his final NFL snap. An All-Pro three years running, he will be nearly impossible to replace, though Charlie Peprah will get the first chance. It's a huge blow for a Packers' pass defense that got torched in each of its first two games.

Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

!!!!!!!

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO US?

So much for fixing our pass D...

Edited by gobadgers77

You could have just updated the other Nick Collins thread....

And this blows.

Fuck sake really? Collins was a lynch pin for defence an he came up with so many big plays. Our pass D is going to struggle even more now. I hope we can find another diamond in the rough at safety or any chance we can get Atari Bigby back or maybe trade for Ward?

Wow this fucking blows, not just for the Packers but Collins as well. Hopefully its not career threatening as he's a great safety and easily the best behind Reed and Polamalu.

I have faith in Peprah doing an alright job in replacing Collins but there will be a dropoff. Wonder if Capers will switch Peprah and Burnett around as Burnett is more of a ballhawk and would fit the FS position better than Peprah.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Of all the positions to lose a player to a season ending injury.. and possibly longer. It had to be a spot where we have a perennial Pro Bowler and elite player at his position. Also.. a position in which we don't have a ton of depth. SS we do... but we don't have any real FS as Peprah just moved over.

Look for FS to be a #1 or #2 priority in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Also.. I think the title should be edited to say it could be career threatening.

Atari Bigby blows.

Darren Sharper is on the market, plays Collins' position, but idk how much he's got left. If he can fill in for a year, then that's all we need him for.

Figures the Packs secondary plays like shit (by their standards) and then Collins goes out. That's some tough luck.

Atari Bigby blows.

Darren Sharper is on the market, plays Collins' position, but idk how much he's got left. If he can fill in for a year, then that's all we need him for.

Would be a fitting way for Sharper to end his career at the end of this season, in all honesty if it the case of him or Peprah I would like Sharper in all honesty.

My guess is that MD Jennings gets the start.

Update:

UPDATE: Collins' agent, Alan Herman, said that he has talked to Collins twice and that a diagnosis is not complete. He said he did not know exactly what the injury is, but he said it is not spinal cord-related or a fracture.

"It's 100% not a broken neck or a spinal cord injury," Herman said.

All signs point to a disk injury, but Herman said one thing the doctors will be looking at is whether it was related to a previous injury.

From JSOnline

Alright...well at least the chances of it being career ending aren't as high now.

Wow this fucking blows, not just for the Packers but Collins as well. Hopefully its not career threatening as he's a great safety and easily the best behind Reed and Polamalu.

I have faith in Peprah doing an alright job in replacing Collins but there will be a dropoff. Wonder if Capers will switch Peprah and Burnett around as Burnett is more of a ballhawk and would fit the FS position better than Peprah.

Good call, homie.

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Coach Mike McCarthy did not rule out the possibility of using CB Charles Woodson to replace S Nick Collins, but the plan for Chicago is to use Charlie Peprah, who played more than 900 snaps last season. Peprah filled in for Morgan Burnett when Burnett blew out his knee. Now Burnett moves into Collins' play-making spot and Peprah fills in the other.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-09-21/green-bay-packers-team-report-charles-woodson-could-replace-nick-collins-at-safe#ixzz1YdSIXNcb

Really odd that we haven't officially put Nick on IR yet.. He is off the depth chart, but not the roster on Packers.com.

Really odd that we haven't officially put Nick on IR yet.. He is off the depth chart, but not the roster on Packers.com.

Waiting to see what the experts say? There hasn't been any information out since that quote from his agent.

Yeah maybe we're waiting a few more expert opinions before we make the final call. Unlike Barnett last year, Collins is definitely worth bringing back at the end of the year/playoffs if he can possibly make it back.

Yeah maybe we're waiting a few more expert opinions before we make the final call. Unlike Barnett last year, Collins is definitely worth bringing back at the end of the year/playoffs if he can possibly make it back.

Absolutely. Top 5 safety in the league for sure, and he is in his absolute prime. Gotta make sure we get the right diagnosis. :yep: And let's hope it's a good one.

Damn neck injuries are always scary. Wouldn't want to get him back in the lineup unless you were 100% sure he wouldn't be risking any further damage to himself.

I'd go for Sharper if I were Green Bay. They could get him for a relatively cheap price, and we all know veteran players like to go out with a Super Bowl win, something that's very possible for Green Bay. If the asking price is low, this move could pay off for both parties.

I'd go for Sharper if I were Green Bay. They could get him for a relatively cheap price, and we all know veteran players like to go out with a Super Bowl win, something that's very possible for Green Bay. If the asking price is low, this move could pay off for both parties.

I really don't see Ted Thompson going after Darren Sharper. Completely not his style. For the Chicago game.. We have 2nd year S, Morgan Burnett playing free and Charlie Peprah manning SS.

I really don't see Ted Thompson going after Darren Sharper. Completely not his style. For the Chicago game.. We have 2nd year S, Morgan Burnett playing free and Charlie Peprah manning SS.

Burnett was really solid today. Peprah had some mistakes but I expect him to fix it up as he did last year.

Burnett was really solid today. Peprah had some mistakes but I expect him to fix it up as he did last year.

Ya.. Peprah looked AWFUL. I hope he can turn it around.. but if he doesn't, I have faith in young MD Jennings.

We noted that Green Bay Packers safety Nick Collins had fusion surgery Thursday on his neck. By all accounts, the surgery went well.

Collins

But I think it's worth noting in a separate post that Collins' football future remains cloudy at this point.

ESPN.com's Adam Schefter reports that "it will take about six months to determine whether [Collins] will be able to resume his NFL career." Collins' agent, Alan Herman, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the surgery will "give him a chance" and Collins "would like the possibility of playing again."

We all know that neck injuries are serious, but this is the first time we’ve heard public discussion about Collins potentially never playing again. We'll cross that bridge if we get there. But for those of you who keep an eye on the big picture, Collins' future will loom as a big issue for this franchise during the offseason.

Hopefully the surgery allows him to play again as he was just entering his prime and the Pack need him.

Ya.. really sucks that this had to happen at all.. But he is JUST NOW entering the PRIME of his talented career. So... so.. very sad.

Maybe we will be able to put him on IR now... Being that we can't even evaluate him (football-wise) for 6 months.

Whether he ever suits up as a Packer again or not... The most important thing is his health. And he will always have a place on this team.