Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Week 5 | Titans vs Steelers

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Heinz Field

With Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall both hurting behind a shaky offensive line, facing the stingy Tennessee Titans might not provide the struggling Pittsburgh Steelers' offense with a good opportunity to get back on track.

The banged-up Steelers hope to find some way to bounce back from their latest defeat while trying to snap the Titans' three-game winning streak Sunday at Heinz Field.

If Tennessee (3-1) has been one of the NFL's biggest surprises, Pittsburgh's start has generated some concern throughout the Steel City.

The Steelers (2-2) scored 47 points in victories over Seattle and Indianapolis - teams with a combined one win - but 17 in losses at Baltimore and Houston. Pittsburgh amassed a season-low 296 yards in a 17-10 defeat to the Texans last Sunday and ranks 27th with 16.0 points per game.

"We are not going to make something out of this that it's not," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We understand that we are capable of playing better. We know where the solutions lie, of course within us, and how we prepare and ultimately how we perform."

The concerns on offense begin with a line that has yet to start the same combination in consecutive weeks due to injuries. That's resulted in Roethlisberger having been sacked 14 times - the third-highest total in the NFL. Looking to provide some depth and leadership, the Steelers signed former starting lineman Max Starks this week.

Hurried and harassed, Roethlisberger has thrown three touchdowns with five interceptions and is limping around on a sprained left foot. Expected to play wearing a special shoe, Roethlisberger has completed 77.8 percent of his passes for 581 yards with three TDs and two interceptions while winning both career home starts versus Tennessee.

"Ben's a warrior, he's going to come out fighting like he has in the past," receiver Hines Ward said.

Roethlisberger missed a 19-11 win at Tennessee in Week 2 last season while serving his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Mendenhall's status because of a hamstring injury suffered last week does not appear as positive. If he's unable to play, Isaac Redman and Mewelde Moore could split time in the backfield. The pair combined to rush 10 times for 74 yards against the Texans.

Ranked 21st with 93.8 rushing yards per game, the Steelers could find it even tougher to run against a Titans unit that's given up an average of 87.8 yards on the ground. Tennessee also ranks first in the NFL allowing 14.0 points per game and has not given up more than 16.

"We're still not playing our best football," safety Jordan Babineaux said. "That's scary. Watch out."

While Tennessee has played well defensively, its offense has been equally effective.

Veteran Matt Hasselbeck ranks second in the AFC behind Tom Brady with a 104.7 passer rating. He's thrown eight touchdowns, three interceptions and been sacked just four times.

"Just having continuity with the teammates and with the guys, even though I'm new, they are really stable," Hasselbeck said. "It's not musical chairs, which has made it a lot easier for me."

Hasselbeck, however, has completed just 53.3 percent of his passes with two TDs and two interceptions in three starts versus Pittsburgh - including the Super Bowl XL loss with Seattle.

Star running back Chris Johnson has averaged only 53.3 yards in three games against the Steelers. He finally broke out with 101 yards on 23 carries in last Sunday's 31-13 win at Cleveland, a welcome sight after the $53-million man totaled 98 yards in his previous three games.

"Part of the areas that we know as a team that we are not where we want it to be is running the ball," first-year coach Mike Munchak said. "We got glimpses of what we think we are capable of, but we are still not consistent to where we are happy with where we are at."

Despite his history against the Steelers, Johnson could be in for a second straight successful game while facing a Pittsburgh unit that's giving up 4.8 yards per carry - well above the 3.0 it yielded in 2010.

The Steelers also will be without star linebacker James Harrison, who is out with a broken right-eye orbital bone.

Potentially more beneficial for Johnson and the Titans, fullback Ahmard Hall returns after serving a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Source: CBSSports.com

Guest MikeyDay

Only way we dont win is if we come out flat. This is almsot as good a gimme game u can get. Specially against the Steelers.

Rashard Mendenhall is active for Sunday's game against the Titans, but is expected to serve as the Steelers' No. 3 tailback.

The Steelers' Week 5 inactives are RB Mewelde Moore, CB Cortez Allen, OG Chris Kemoeatu, DE Aaron Smith, OLB James Harrison, OLB Jason Worilds, and NT Casey Hampton. Hampton, Smith, and Harrison have 10 Pro Bowl appearances between them. The Steelers will start Isaac Redman at running back, with Jonathan Dwyer next in line for carries. Mendenhall is an emergency option.

Titans declared QB Rusty Smith, S Chris Hope, CB Chris Hawkins, C Kevin Matthews, T Byron Stingily, DT Zach Clayton, and DT Malcolm Sheppard inactive for Week 5.

We are so fucked.

Guest MikeyDay

I know its early but got damn wut is it with us playin injured teams and them playimg well against us? Never. Fails.

The Titans are who we thought they were...

Not very good.

Guest MikeyDay

The Titans are who we thought they were...

Not very good.

One bad game doesnt make us not good. It just means we gotta work harder during this bye. The Steelers def wanted this game more. The effort is not there today by us. We dominated Bmore who dominated this team. We are a good team we just needa work on effort this week.

Guest MikeyDay

Unless we can pull this out which is doubtful we 3-2 not bad but it def is shit how we played today. GG Steelers.

Turns out the Steelers are better than they've looked and the Titans are not as good as they've looked, is anyone actually surprised? I'm not too concerned tho, I really think the AFC South will be won at 9-7 this year

Steelers had 175 yards rushing. lol Titans defense, especially their DL.

Edited by Sarge

We are so fucked.

:nope:

See above post.

Guest MikeyDay

Haha this man, we are so fucked, bcuz u knew we are good, just hadda shitty game. Like i said, fuck outta here. All that convo was garbage after i read that lol. Made my point thank u Matty.

Haha this man, we are so fucked, bcuz u knew we are good, just hadda shitty game. Like i said, fuck outta here. All that convo was garbage after i read that lol. Made my point thank u Matty.

Lol, yea, you guys are so good to get dominated by the Steelers' OL.

Guest MikeyDay

Lol, yea, you guys are so good to get dominated by the Steelers' OL.

That happens alot when teams dont show up. Gave up 14 a game prior to this and when we look flat we give up 38? Yeah ill call it a off day. If this continues then u can say we suck. Til then, no sirrrrr

Unfortunatly for the Titans, this is what happens when bruce Arians ecides to call a decent game. It's not so easy to stop us when we're waiting for 7 step drop routes to develop, huh?

That happens alot when teams dont show up. Gave up 14 a game prior to this and when we look flat we give up 38? Yeah ill call it a off day. If this continues then u can say we suck. Til then, no sirrrrr

who have we played before today? Baltimore and garbage teams. The Steelers just straight up outplayed us, I'm not afraid to admit it, we couldn't get anything going on offense, we couldn't even slow them down defensively, and we got nothing out of special teams, it's not often that a team gets dominated in all three phases, but it happened to us today. But honestly, I like having that sort of a game going into the bye week, it should keep the team hungry and it should remind us that we're not there yet.

• Upvote 1

Guest MikeyDay

Unfortunatly for the Titans, this is what happens when bruce Arians ecides to call a decent game. It's not so easy to stop us when we're waiting for 7 step drop routes to develop, huh?

Yall got some speedy wrs. Thats for damn sure.

Losing this doesn't hurt us at all with Houston losing, so I can't really say I care that we lost. It was in Pittsburgh and they really needed a bounce back game. We get 3 home games in a row after the bye week, and should win all 3, Houston, Indy and Cinci. 6-2 won't be bad, compared to what I expected going in to the year.

Great all around game by the Steelers today. That makes us 2-1 vs. the AFC South now with Jacksonville up next.

I watched the game at my brother's place. That was a straight up ass whooping. It happens....

Edit - I'll say this, though....The Titans hurt themselves with stupid penalties a few times in key situations, IMO....

Edited by BLUE