BLUE

Week 6 | Panthers vs Falcons

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Georgia Dome

The Atlanta Falcons can talk all they want about how positive they remain despite a disappointing start. What they need is to turn that alleged confidence into some victories.

Looking to bounce back from another disappointing defeat, the Falcons could face another stiff challenge Sunday when they host the improving Carolina Panthers in rookie quarterback Cam Newton's first professional game in his home state.

Saddled with lofty expectations, Atlanta (2-3) has already lost as many games this season as it did while going 13-3 in 2010. An inconsistent offense and an underachieving defense can summarize the Falcons' rough start, but that's not enough to set the reigning NFC South champs into panic mode.

Not even after they were outscored 19-0 in the second half of a 25-14 home loss to undefeated Green Bay in a playoff rematch last Sunday.

"Certainly you have expectations to go out and play well," quarterback Matt Ryan said. "We haven't done that. But it's a long year. We're at that point where we've done some things really well, but we've also done some things poorly. We've got to feed off those positive things."

Ryan's play has contributed to his team's early struggles. The fourth-year signal caller has a 79.9 passer rating and has thrown six interceptions - three fewer than he threw all of last season, when he posted a career-high 91.0 rating.

"I need to play better," Ryan said. "All our guys need to play better. That's what we're trying to do."

Ryan's 196 attempts rank third in the NFL behind pass-happy quarterbacks Drew Brees and Tom Brady. Not exactly what coach Mike Smith envisioned from an offense he expected to be balanced.

Michael Turner has rushed for 360 yards but only 146 over the last three games.

An offensive line that could be without injured center Todd McClure (knee) for a fourth time this season has not only struggled in run blocking but also has yielded 14 sacks.

Top receiver Roddy White's 32 receptions are tied for second in the NFL, but he has just two touchdowns.

All of that has caused a team that ranked fifth with 25.9 points per game last year, to be currently ranked 21st at 20.8 per contest.

"We're just not clicking," White said. "We're not where we need to be right now. But it's only the sixth game of the season. We've got nothing to do but get better. I'm trying to look at the bright side."

Typically, facing Carolina (1-4) would provide a ray of hope. Atlanta won both 2010 meetings with the Panthers by scores of 31-10, and has taken three straight in the series at the Georgia Dome.

Turner has averaged 102.4 yards and rushed for nine TDs in his last five games versus Carolina. Ryan has thrown for 1,166 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions while the Falcons have won four of five overall from the Panthers.

However, things might not come so easily for the Falcons in 2011. Though the Panthers have just one victory, all five of their games have been decided by seven points or fewer.

Offensively, Atlanta will be without talented rookie receiver Julio Jones because of a hamstring injury. Defensively, a unit that ranks 24th with 26.0 points allowed per game must find a way to contain Newton.

The dynamic No. 1 overall draft pick, who grew up just south of Atlanta in College Park, Ga., leads all quarterbacks with five rushing touchdowns - one shy of tying the Panthers single-season record. Add in his 13 passing scores, and he's had a hand in 12 of the team's 13 touchdowns.

Newton's abilities through the air or on the ground obviously pose a challenge for the Falcons.

"It creates a lot of issues because in your preparation for most teams, more often than not, you don't have to account for the quarterback (as a runner)," Atlanta coach Mike Smith said. "That really is the issue it creates for coordinators."

While Newton appears to be a budding superstar, the Panthers still must learn to win.

They held a late four-point lead against New Orleans last weekend but allowed the Saints to score with 50 seconds left and lost 30-27.

"We're real close, but close doesn't get you nowhere," Newton said. "And that's probably the most disheartening thing, knowing how close we are to getting that win and putting us back on the map."

Veteran wideout Steve Smith has been a favorite Newton with 609 receiving yards - second in the NFL. Smith, who has already surpassed his yardage total (554) from 2010, has caught 16 balls for 299 yards in his last two games at the Georgia Dome.

Source: CBSSports.com

Give me the Failcons here.

:Falcons: 31

:panthers: 27

Without Julio and with Gonzo obviously hurting? I don't think so.

:panthers: 31

:Falcons: 20

Edited by Thanatos19

I can see the Panthers losing another close one.

Panthers declared RT Jeff Otah, KR Mike Goodson, QB Jimmy Clausen, DB R.J. Stanford, TE Richie Brockel, LB Omar Gaither, and DT Andre Neblett inactive for Week 6 against the Falcons.

The Panthers have become frustrated with Otah's injuries and may be turning the page on him altogether, opting instead for rookie Byron Bell at right tackle. Jason Williams will start at weak-side linebacker for the injured Gaither.

Falcons declared WR Julio Jones, CB Chris Owens, CB Darrin Walls, C Brett Romberg, DT Carlton Powell, S James Sanders, and DE Cliff Matthews inactive for Week 6.

John Abraham returns from a hip injury, which is bad news for the Carolina offensive line. Harry Douglas will start in place of Jones, but isn't a strong fantasy option with the Falcons vowing to use a "rotation" at wide receiver.

I can see the Panthers losing another close one.

I didn't see much of the game, but I know it was close at one point.

I didn't see much of the game, but I know it was close at one point.

I believe the first half was close, then Carolina fucked up and Atlanta capitalized and held that lead throughout the rest of the game.

Newton throws another 3 INT's... I think defenses have the key on him now.

I believe the first half was close, then Carolina fucked up and Atlanta capitalized and held that lead throughout the rest of the game.

It was close until 5 minutes left in the 4th when Newton threw his second pick and gave Atlanta the ball back at midfield with a 7-point lead. They took it down and scored a TD to go up by 14. Close all the way, we were leading 17-14 going into the 4th, but once again just could not finish.

I think the Panthers take a serious drop in my rankings until they show they can finish ballgames. You can play well all you want for 3 quarters, if you play horrible in the 4th, it means jackshit.

Newton throws another 3 INT's... I think defenses have the key on him now.

Naw. One INT was a one-handed grab by a defensive lineman off a screen pass. It was a great call by Atlanta's D, and a ridiculously great catch by Peters.

Another was off a deflected pass in the secondary. Hardly on Newton.

The third and final one was a desperation heave into the endzone with no time left.

Edited by Thanatos19

<_ is what happens when i don see the game. hate sleeping in on sunday.>

Dalton or Newton for OROTY right now? Maybe somebody else?

<_< Is what happens when I don't see the game. I hate sleeping in on sunday.

Dalton or Newton for OROTY right now? Maybe somebody else?

I think we can all say "holy fuck the Bengals are 4-2".

I think we can all say "holy fuck the Bengals are 4-2".

This.

I gotta give the nod to Dalton at the moment. Maybe it's just the Bengals soft schedule versus the Panthers tough one, but right now Dalton's stats may not be as pretty, but I'd swap Newton's stats for Dalton's wins in a minute. (I would not, however, swap the two QBs. I'm fairly confident that Newton is the better QB by far.)

A.J. Green is also in the picture, Julio is a distant 4th to those 3.

Edited by Thanatos19