Bay

DPOTY?

lol @ Kyle Arrington

If DeMarcus Ware or Jason Babin had gotten to 22 sacks, you'd be declaring them the obvious winner. You just don't like Jared Allen. Justin Smith has other beasts around him. Jared Allen has an aging Kevin Williams who isn't half the player he used to be and a couple of scrubs on his DL. Greenway's good, but EJ Henderson isn't himself anymore and Erin Henderson was a first time starter. Allen had gaping holes on his defense that other offenses were able to attack and he still racked up a ridiculous season. He played the best of any defensive player in the league, so he should win it.

No, because I know Justin Smith is the best defensive player in the league and like I said he has been for like 4 years. I don't see one or two stat categories and declare a guy DPOY. You know there is a lot more to football, especially for a 3-4 DE than sacks right? Can you comprehend the fact that the 7.5 sacks Smith gets as a 3-4 DE is extremely impressive especially considering that he's very arguably the most dominant run defender in the league. Like I said before the guy gives all kinds of opportunities to the other guys on the team by consistantly eating blockers and is so unblockable that he comes up with around 8 sacks every year. We're talking about a guy who has played at a DPOY level for four years in a row. He deserves the award. Jared Allen has played at that level this year. I'll give him that, but I just don't see him as being anything close to the player that Smith is.

No, because I know Justin Smith is the best defensive player in the league and like I said he has been for like 4 years. I don't see one or two stat categories and declare a guy DPOY. You know there is a lot more to football, especially for a 3-4 DE than sacks right? Can you comprehend the fact that the 7.5 sacks Smith gets as a 3-4 DE is extremely impressive especially considering that he's very arguably the most dominant run defender in the league. Like I said before the guy gives all kinds of opportunities to the other guys on the team by consistantly eating blockers and is so unblockable that he comes up with around 8 sacks every year. We're talking about a guy who has played at a DPOY level for four years in a row. He deserves the award. Jared Allen has played at that level this year. I'll give him that, but I just don't see him as being anything close to the player that Smith is.

Jared Allen deserves the award just as much, and should get it. Unfortunately, it's going to go to Terrell Suggs, as I'm sure we're both aware.

It should matter if he's not the best defensive player though.

first off, Troy Polamalu was overwhelmingly named the best player in the entire NFL on this very site last season. He was easily the most influential defensive player on the field for at least a couple of years, so to say that Smith has been the best defensive player in the game for the last 4 years sounds like quite a bit of a stretch to me.

On top of that, the DPOTY is not an award for the guy who soaks up the most blocks. Hell, almost everyone on this site ripped Suh last season, calling him overrated and what not, and he did the same thing from the tackle position and still managed to pick up 10 sacks, 60+ tackles, a pick, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, and a TD on the year. As rookie, he had a Justin Smith year.

Don't get me wrong; Smith is a hell of a player, but what he did this season isn't unprecedented or historic. What Allen has done this year is amazing. Getting 22 sacks while making an impact on the running game is one hell of a feat. He deserves the award this year.

As a side note, I think it's pretty crazy that a guy who throws for 5,476, 46 TDs to only 14 picks, and a 110+ passer rating in a season doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of winning the MVP the same year that a guy with 22 sacks is in question of not getting the DOPTY award.

Well not overwhelmingly, the polls had Polamalu barely beat Tom Brady (51%) and Aaron Rodgers (52% of the vote) near the end. It'll be pretty cool to see what happens this year when people actually vote in the finals. Right now we're in the preliminaries this year, so look for any topics named best player in every division forum and vote in them.

Suggs is incredibly deserving. The only reason he hasn't had a presence in some games is due to conservative defense, with us dropping more into coverage.