Bay

DPOTY?

I know its still a tad early but who is making some serious noise at contending for defensive player of the year?

Lets hear it TGP.

35 year old Charles Woodson is leading the league in INT. If he can notch 3-5+ FF and a couple more sacks... I think he has a realistic shot at his 2nd DPOTY.

As much as I hate to do so, I'm going with Allen. 11.5 sacks in 7 games is impressive. Woodson has the potential if he can get another pick 6 and some more picks on top of that with a sack or 2. That would put him near the numbers he put up in 09, winning the award.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

As much as I hate to do so, I'm going with Allen. 11.5 sacks in 7 games is damn impressive. Woodson has the potential if he can get another pick 6 and some more picks on top of that with a sack or 2.

Screw that. If they give DPOTY to a 1 dimensional player on a 1 win (right now) team I will flip shit.

Screw that. If they give DPOTY to a 1 dimensional player on a 1 win (right now) team I will flip shit.

I suppose but you have to admit 11.5 sacks is impressive. Winning doesn't really count when it comes to DPOTY and OPOTY. There's no real cut leader right now so hard to say. I'm sticking with Allen for now but it can change in these next 10 weeks.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

I suppose but you have to admit 11.5 sacks is impressive. Winning doesn't really count when it comes to DPOTY and OPOTY. There's no real cut leader right now so hard to say. I'm sticking with Allen for now but it can change in these next 9 weeks.

Unless he breaks the sack record, he has no chance. You can't give the award for leagues best defensive player to a guy who doesn't actually help his team win games.

One dimensional? Since when was leading the league in sacks, having the top-3 tackle totals of all linemen, 4 Pdef, 1 INT and 2 Fumbles one dimensional?

The fact his team is losing has nothing to do with him. He is helping his team have a chance at winning games but he can't do it all by himself. He's easily one of the best defensive players so far this year.

Edited by Shotgun

One dimensional? Since when was leading the league in sacks, having the top-3 tackle totals of all linemen, 3Pdef, 1 INT and 2 Fumbles one dimensional?

The fact his team is losing has nothing to do with him. He is helping his team have a chance at winning games but he can't do it all by himself. He's easily one of the best defensive players so far this year.

If I wasn't lazy, I'd go look up the last time a team this bad had a player win DPOTY.

If I wasn't lazy, I'd go look up the last time a team this bad had a player win DPOTY.

I couldn't care less when the last time it was. Point is the guy would deserve it, and you're flat out wrong calling him one dimensional when he's been one of the most dimensional DE's in the league for years now.

It's an award that's supposed to be given to the best defensive player in the league, not the best defensive player plus the unit he plays with. If someone only gets the award because his team has a winning record he honestly doesn't deserve it.

And it's Jason Taylor, 2006.

I couldn't care less when the last time it was. Point is the guy would deserve it, and you're flat out wrong calling him one dimensional when he's been one of the most dimensional DE's in the league for years now.

It's an award that's supposed to be given to the best defensive player in the league, not the best defensive player plus the unit he plays with. If someone only gets the award because his team has a winning record he honestly doesn't deserve it.

LMAO at Jared Allen being one of the best all around DE's "for years now". That's absolutely insane.

Jared Allen has been doing good yeah and if the season ended right now, I think he'd get considered but wouldn't earn it.

Woodson is having a quiet but studly year. He will get consideration as well.

If you are serious, Phail I'll have to watch some Cowboys games to see Sean Lee play. Never seen him before.

My DPOTY at the moment is...man I actually agree here with F I think it's Woodson. He's playing almost as well as he did in 2009...If there was one bright point in our sloppy defense right now, it's him. The 35 year old who should be on the decline. I think this season he does really well, and puts to rest any idea that he might not make it to the HoF right away.

35 year old Charles Woodson is leading the league in INT. If he can notch 3-5+ FF and a couple more sacks... I think he has a realistic shot at his 2nd DPOTY.

INTs are such an overrated stat. I mean... NE's Kyle Arrington (who pretty much blows) was leading the league in picks before this week, so yeah lol.

And I'd totally call homer on Phail (y'know that's the routine for a Dallas fan saying his own player should win an award :shifty:),but shit man... I've gotten a chance to watch Sean Lee play a bit, and he's been pretty fucking impressive. That dude is GOOD.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

INTs are such an overrated stat. I mean... NE's Kyle Arrington (who pretty much blows) was leading the league in picks before this week, so yeah lol.

And I'd totally call homer on Phail (y'know that's the routine for a Dallas fan saying his own player should win an award :shifty:),but shit man... I've gotten a chance to watch Sean Lee play a bit, and he's been pretty fucking impressive. That dude is GOOD.

:yep:

And he has his best games on national TV. Dude is a legit beast.

In all seriousness, Sean Lee & NaVorro Bowman (sp?) should really be in the mix.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I completely agree. He isn't going to win it by leading the league in INTs alone. I think that's pretty obvious.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In all seriousness, Sean Lee & NaVorro Bowman (sp?) should really be in the mix.

Spelled correctly, :hifiver:

George Wilson. He's been coming up with crucial plays and turnovers when the Bills need them just about every week.

in 2006 it went to Jason Taylor of the 6-10 Dolphins, the Vikings may end up a bit worse than that, but this is a purely individual award so it shouldn't matter if the guy's on a bad team.

Yeah, right now I would give it to Allen or Woodson. Every time I start to think Jared Allen is one dimensional he makes a big run stop or pass deflection. He has single-handedly allowed the Vikings to stay in games and damn near got a safety that would have sealed a victory against the Lions. Enough of the one dimensional talk. Right now, he IS the best 4-3 DE in the league.

Von Miller... not yet.

The 49ers have a couple players worth considering, Justin Smith is playing really well, and the pair of inside backers they have are really ridiculous as well.

• Upvote 1

I think sacks are more overrated than INTs. A sack is a tackle for a loss. An INT is a change of possession and a game changing play.

In the case for Sean Lee, he has 5 total take-aways, compared to Woodson's 6. Lee has him beat by 25 tackles (51 to 26) though, several of which were behind the LOS.

Lee stops the run, plays excellent pass coverage, has been involved in almost every single defensive play he's been on the field, is always around the ball, and also leads and calls the defense between plays...in only his second year in the NFL (time served doesn't really matter though).

I'm not saying one way or the other, but Sean Lee has really been the heart of the Cowboys defense, even over Ware, and IMO it would be hard to argue against him right now as the most valuable player to his team's defense. It's not a homer thing...it's just the truth.

But I am a Cowboys fan so take it for what it's worth. There are several guys who do just as much for their own teams.

I think sacks are more overrated than INTs. A sack is a tackle for a loss. An INT is a change of possession and a game changing play.

In the case for Sean Lee, he has 5 total take-aways, compared to Woodson's 6. Lee has him beat by 25 tackles (51 to 26) though, several of which were behind the LOS.

Lee stops the run, plays excellent pass coverage, has been involved in almost every single defensive play he's been on the field, is always around the ball, and also leads and calls the defense between plays...in only his second year in the NFL (time served doesn't really matter though).

I'm not saying one way or the other, but Sean Lee has really been the heart of the Cowboys defense, even over Ware, and IMO it would be hard to argue against him right now as the most valuable player to his team's defense. It's not a homer thing...it's just the truth.

But I am a Cowboys fan so take it for what it's worth. There are several guys who do just as much for their own teams.

I would point out that as a linebacker, Sean Lee is of course going to have more tackles than a good DB.

A good DB doesn't let the guy get the ball in the first place, and is rarely in on stopping the run unless the RB breaks a big one and gets past the LBs.

While Lee is a great player, I'd agree with Bware. At the moment, it's Jared Allen. If he breaks the sack record, I don't think there would be much of a question. And he is certainly on track to do so.

Edited by Thanatos19