Vin

Update: DeMarco Murray stays hot w/ 186 yards in win

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Cowboys Stadium

A favorable set of games might help the Dallas Cowboys forget about the miserable performance in their most recent one.

The Cowboys open that stretch with a visit from the inconsistent Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

Dallas struggled on both sides of the ball during a 34-7 drubbing at NFC East foe Philadelphia on Sunday night. The Cowboys (3-4) gave up a season-high 495 yards and 239 on the ground - their most in three years - after previously allowing a league-low 69.7 per contest.

They also gained a season-low 267 yards while falling two games behind New York in the division and scored their fewest points since a 45-7 loss to Green Bay last November.

"We weren't up to the task," coach Jason Garrett said. "This game is not coming back. We can learn from it and move on to the next challenge."

Dallas might not have as many challenges over its next five games and that could give it the opportunity to bounce back. Those five opponents are currently a combined 11-24 and only one of those teams - Buffalo - has a winning record, but that game is at Cowboys Stadium.

"We don't look ahead too much. We certainly feel like we just have to control our own business," Garrett said. "Our entire focus is doing our best to get ourselves ready to play Seattle."

Dallas might be a little short-handed for this stretch. The status of leading tackler Sean Lee is unknown because of an ailing left wrist, and punter Mat McBriar (left foot) and cornerback Mike Jenkins (right hamstring) are also dealing with injuries.

Felix Jones is still trying to come back from a high ankle sprain, and his absence has left DeMarco Murray and Phillip Tanner as the only healthy running backs on the Cowboys roster.

Murray had a team-record 253 yards in a win over St. Louis on Oct. 23 and 74 on eight carries in his first career start last Sunday before the Cowboys were forced to go to the air after falling behind.

If Murray can add to his string of strong performances, it might be enough to lead the Cowboys past the Seahawks (2-5), who have one touchdown in their last two games. Seattle has 15 points over those contests after scoring a combined 64 in its previous two.

The Seahawks have registered 17 or fewer points in five of their seven games.

Marshawn Lynch scored the lone TD during last week's 34-12 home loss to Cincinnati but was held to 24 yards on 16 carries. Seattle gained just 61 on the ground with 28 coming on one run from Leon Washington.

Tarvaris Jackson, initially supposed to rest a strained pectoral, threw for a career-best 323 yards in relief of an ineffective Charlie Whitehurst, but the Seahawks couldn't overcome some late mistakes.

They gave up a punt return for a touchdown with 3:22 remaining, and Jackson's lone interception was brought back for a score in the final seconds.

The team's performance left Lynch visibly upset on the sidelines.

"There's already frustration now. I think you could see it in our play," coach Pete Carroll said. "I think our guys were over-trying at times and it got us a little out of whack. ... I think that comes from pressing, which is a result of frustration. I think it's already here. They're already frustrated and I am, too."

Trying to stop Tony Romo has frustrated the Seahawks in the past two matchups as he's thrown for three touchdowns in each, and the Cowboys won those by a combined 72-26 score. Romo's only other start against Seattle was the infamous 2007 playoff loss in which he botched the hold on a potential 19-yard, game-winning field goal.

Romo was the holder on Dan Bailey's extra-point attempt last Sunday but is expected to serve only as the backup this week.

The Seahawks are hoping to have Jackson for a full game this time, but he'll likely need a better performance than in his only other matchup with the Cowboys. Jackson was 6 of 19 for 72 yards during a 24-14 road loss for Minnesota in 2007.

He wasn't touched by Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware in that game but might not be so fortunate this time.

The Seahawks have allowed a league-worst 28 sacks this season, and Ware is second in the NFL with 12 after having had a career-high four sacks last Sunday.

"You have to be aware of him at all times," Carroll said. "He's that good. He's that impacting. They do move him around, which makes it more difficult. We have to have a plan to keep track of him or he'll control the game."

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by BLUE

Got the Cowboys winning this one but atleast there is some what of a chance with Jackson starting.

Guest Phailadelphia

Got the Cowboys winning this one but atleast there is some what of a chance with Jackson starting.

No there isn't.

No there isn't.

You just got wrecked by the Eagles 34-7.

The Rams just beat the Saints 31-21.

The Cards nearly pulled off an upset of Baltimore.

You really should never say there isn't "a chance" that any one team will defeat any other in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

:Seahawks: 21

:Cowboys: 27

I think this game is pretty close, but the Boys pull it out.

@Sacks98 - Phailadelphia is an even bigger Cowboys homer than I am a Seahawks homer. Which is saying quite a bit. You're better off trying to have a metaphysical debate with a rock than to try and convince him his team might lose. So take anything he says about the Cowboys with not just a grain of salt but rather an entire salt mine.

Anyway, on to business. I will not be shocked at all if we drop this one to the Cowboys. They are statistically the better team after all. However, we now have Tarvaris Jackson back as well as all the other players we lost against the Giants in the process of beating them. Which means if we show up with the Hawks than hung in against the Falcons and beat the Giants at home, then we have a decent chance at this. Especially if we get the "Bad Romo" Cowboys who have shown up for the last couple weeks.

But if we instead get "Good Romo" then we're pretty much going to get torched. The guy can play like an elite QB when he's on form. Me? I'll be hoping for "Bad Romo" since I'd love nothing more than to watch the high and mighty Cowboys drop one to the lowly Seahawks.

Edited by Jayrus

Guest Phailadelphia

@Sacks98 - Phailadelphia is an even bigger Cowboys honmer than I am a Seahawks homer. Which is saying quite a bit. You're better off trying to have a metaphysical debate with a rock than to try and convince him his team might lose. So take anything he says about the Cowboys with not just a grain of salt but rather an entire salt mine.

If and when I ever homer it up, I at least have legit reasons and/or statistics to back up my claims. Or I'm just joking. You, on the other hand, don't know football from the insides of your asshole so your passive aggressive attempt to lash out at me (which is something a bitch does...by the way) is pretty sad. If you have a problem with me, make a post in the smack talk thread. I'd love to go into detail about how pants-on-head retarded you are.

G'day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This will not be continuing here.... Take it NHB or lash out via PMs. Smack Talk isn't a forum designated to attack one another and neither are our Gameday threads.

Any further posts on the topic are subject to editing and / or deletion.

Edited by Favre4Ever

This was originally a long ass counter-rant at Phailadelphia. However, after posting I saw Favre's "Shut the hell up or else" decree and have deleted it. Feel free tor emove this post.

Edited by Jayrus

Smack Talk isn't a forum designated to attack one another

Lol yes it is.

Can't see the Seahawks beating the Cowboys in Dallas. If it was at Qwest, maybe, but the Seahawks really struggle on the road.

Can't see the Seahawks beating the Cowboys in Dallas. If it was at Qwest, maybe, but the Seahawks really struggle on the road.

Cowboys declared ILB Sean Lee, P Mat McBriar, RB Felix Jones, CB Mike Jenkins, OG David Arkin, C Kevin Kowalski and DE Clifton Geathers inactive for Week 9 against the Seahawks.

A coverage deficient Keith Brooking will start for Lee, though Dallas is expected to insert safety Barry Church on passing downs. Rookie Bruce Carter will also see defensive snaps for the first time this season. DeMarco Murray will carry the load at tail back with Jones out.

Tarvaris Jackson (pectoral) is active and will start against the Cowboys, as expected.

Sidney Rice (foot), Big Mike Williams (hamstring) and DT Alan Branch (knee/hip) are also active for Seattle. Rice and slot receiver Doug Baldwin are the only viable fantasy plays this week.

Seahawks inactives: QB Josh Portis, WR Kris Durham, TE Cameron Morrah, T Jarriel King, DT Al Woods, CB Ron Parker and S Jeron Johnson.

Lol yes it is.

Smack Talk ToS

Due to personal and insulting comments in the past, the smack forum will be under new rules. First and foremost, this is a football smack forum. This is not personal.

The new rules are as follows.

1. Attacking the post, the team, the mascot or anything else football related will be ok. Personal insults, comments about Mom's, will get you a bump in the warning meter. A second offense will be a Timeout, TBD on the severity of the crime. That said, the definition of a personal attack is a lot looser in the smack section then that of the other sections. If this bothers you, I recommend you use the other forums. Personal attacks will be judged under the staff's discretion.

2. Respect everyone's opinions, but feel free to challenge them.

3. To clarify football smack, saying "The xyz's suck" is Football smack. Saying "You're a Browns fan and you suck" is personal.

4. Don't abuse this forum. It is here for division rivals, old time rivals, and just plain old smack. Abuse of this forum will cause this to be closed.

5. Enjoy.

I can see why Cowboys fans hate Jason Garrett's playcalling so much. 1st and goal on the one-inch line and you end up settling for a FG. lolCowboys.

Guest Phailadelphia
:yep: Would like to see him hire a good OC next season.

Guest Phailadelphia

Pretty pathetic that Dallas is absolutely dominating the Seahawks right now but have only 6 points to show for it.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Pretty pathetic that Dallas is absolutely dominating the Seahawks right now but have only 6 points to show for it.

Pretty similar to whats going on between San Fran and Washington. :yep:

Guest Phailadelphia

At the half on the day, cowboys lead the nfl in rush yards, 2nd in receiving yards, 1st in pass yards...have 6 pts to show for it

At the half on the day, cowboys lead the nfl in rush yards, 2nd in receiving yards, 1st in pass yards...have 6 pts to show for it

Kinda sums up the Cowboys 2011 season, doesn't it?

Seems like the Cowboys are dominating this game, but just aren't producing points. Surprised to see this one tied up at half.

Guest Phailadelphia

And that's a sweep of the NFC West.

Congrats Dallas atleast Lynch ran for 100+ yards and even though Jackson threw 3 Int's should have only been 2 he still looks like our best option.