Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Update: Tim Tebow runs for 117, tosses two TDs in win

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

TIME: 04:05 P.M. EST

VENUE: O.co Coliseum

Oakland's Carson Palmer and Denver's Tim Tebow each looked completely out of sorts in their last game.

The Raiders are hopeful an extra week of practice plus the acquisition of one of Palmer's former teammates can help the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback get more comfortable with the offense.

The Broncos can only hope Tebow learns from his many mistakes.

After a much-needed bye, Palmer is expected to make his first start of the season Sunday for a Raiders team looking to win its fifth in a row over Denver.

Palmer had a bit of an excuse for a sloppy performance in a 28-0 home loss to Kansas City on Oct. 23. He was acquired five days before the game and only participated in three practices before being inserted for an ineffective Kyle Boller.

"I put him in a very tough situation," coach Hue Jackson said.

The unfamiliarity showed. Palmer matched Boller's three interceptions with three of his own, finishing 8 of 21 for 116 yards.

"This bye week may be the most valuable to me of anybody in the league," Palmer said.

In an effort to ease Palmer's transition, the Raiders (4-3) - tied atop the AFC West with San Diego and Kansas City - signed wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh on Tuesday.

Houshmandzadeh and Palmer were teammates in Cincinnati for six seasons. The signing also reunites Houshmandzadeh, who had been out of the league since playing with Baltimore last season, with Jackson, who was the receivers coach in Cincinnati from 2004-06.

Houshmandzadeh practiced with his new team on Wednesday, but star running back Darren McFadden is still on crutches and wearing a protective boot after spraining his right foot early against the Chiefs.

That makes it unlikely McFadden will play, something the Broncos (2-5) certainly wouldn't mind.

McFadden, who led the NFL with 610 rushing yards through Week 6, ran for 150 yards in a season-opening 23-20 win at Denver. He has amassed 508 yards with three touchdowns while averaging 7.3 yards per carry during the Raiders' four-game winning streak in the series.

While Oakland feels Palmer can help lead the team to its first playoff berth since 2002, the Broncos are not yet convinced Tebow is their franchise quarterback.

After rallying Denver to an overtime win in Miami in Week 7, Tebow struggled mightily in last Sunday's 45-10 loss to Detroit. Tebow completed 18 of 39 passes for 172 yards and an interception, fumbled once and was sacked seven times.

His lone touchdown pass came in the fourth quarter with the Broncos down by 42.

Following the loss, John Fox wouldn't confirm if Tebow would get another start. A day later, the coach said he would give the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner another shot, but is not committing to him beyond this game.

"I think at the end of the day, we've got to see if he can improve and get better in the passing game," Fox said.

So far, Tebow has been brutal when dropping back.

In two starts, he has thrown for 333 yards, completed 47.0 percent of his passes and has been sacked 13 times.

"I think they have confidence in me, but more than anything, I've got to have confidence in myself and my teammates around me and at the end of the day that's what matters," Tebow said.

Tebow was greatly frustrated by a Lions defense that crowded the line of scrimmage and blitzed frequently, forcing the inexperienced quarterback to beat them with his arm.

The Raiders could use a similar strategy against Tebow, who is completing 23.5 percent of his passes when being blitzed.

Oakland has been one of the most blitz-heavy teams in the league since Week 5, averaging 24.0 per game. The extra pressure has paid off, as its opponents are completing an NFL-low 35.7 percent of their passes against the blitz since Oct. 9.

"It's just something I truly believe in," Jackson said. "I think you have to get after people. If I'm going to go down, I want to go down bombing everything. That's just the way I feel about it. I don't want to be sitting back watching and having people go get us."

Like the Raiders, the Broncos could also be without their top running back.

Willis McGahee, who has rushed for 460 yards, sat out last week's game after injuring his right hand against the Dolphins. Knowshon Moreno, who has been slowed by a hamstring injury, got his first start since rushing for 22 yards on eight carries against the Raiders. He finished with 69 yards on 14 attempts.

McGahee practiced Thursday for the second straight day and was able to carry the ball in either hand.

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by BLUE

:Broncos: 13

:Raiders: 38

Carson Palmer makes people think he's a good QB, at least this week.

:Raiders: 20

:Broncos: 17

No Darren McFadden and a QB who is still acclimatizing to his team will make this game closer than you guys think. I still won't be bold enough to predict a Denver win, but if they do keep us in it...

this will be closer than most think.

the Raiders don't have D'Mac and their QB situation is a mess unless Palmer learned the offense during the bye week.

IMO Denver will be a tougher out than the Raiders think today.

Willis McGahee (hand) is active for Sunday's game against the Raiders.

McGahee is expected to start with a plate and five pins in his right hand. The Broncos appear confident that he won't be limited, so owners can get him going as a high-risk kind of RB2. Knowshon Moreno will serve as the mere third-down back, at least to start the game.

Broncos inactives: FB Quinn Johnson, TE Virgil Green, T Tony Hills, G Manny Ramirez, DE Derrick Harvey, CB Cassius Vaughn and S Rafael Bush.

Sebastian Janikowski (hamstring) is active for Sunday's game against the Broncos.

The Raiders do not have another kicker active, so they are confident Janikowski will make it through the game. Michael Bush is starting in place of Darren McFadden (inactive, knee).

Other Raiders inactives: QB Jason Campbell, QB Terrelle Pryor, TE David Ausberry, OL Bruce Campbell, CB Chris Johnson and CB Chimdi Chekwa.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Tim Tebow completed 10-of-21 passes for 124 yards with two touchdowns and added 12 rushes for 117 yards in Sunday's 38-24 win over the Raiders.

So much for immediate concerns about Tebow's job security. He showed significant improvement in the passing game today, threading a perfect 27-yard strike to Eric Decker on a deep post in the first quarter and moving the chains with some out patterns in the second half. More importantly, he was accurate enough not to throw any interceptions and he led his team to a win. From a fantasy perspective, Tebow continues to put up big numbers. In his three starts, he is averaging 79.6 rushing yards per game and has tossed five touchdown passes. Tebow will be on the QB1 radar against the Chiefs next week. Nov 6 - 7:36 PM

Tebow is such garbage, but somehow he keeps winning games. What in the hell is going on here? :shrug:

You dont fuck wit Da Jesus.

• Upvote 1