Sign in to follow this  
Shotgun

Tampa the brokest pro-sports city in America.

Tampa Is The 'Brokest' Pro-Sports City In America

Cork Gaines | Nov. 4, 2011, 8:39 AM

Of the cities in this country that host professional sports teams, none is more broke than Tampa, Florida. And this could go a long way towards explaining attendance woes for Tampa Bay sports teams. This ranking is based on the list of the 30 "brokest" cities in America as compiled by The Daily Beast. It is based on unemployment rate, median household income, average personal debt, and average credit score. Columbus , Georgia tops the rankings.

Overall, Tampa is the eighth brokest city. And Tampa is not the only Florida city on the list. They are joined by Jacksonville (#27), Miami (#28), and Orlando (#29), all of which are home to pro sports teams. In all, nine pro sports teams in the four major sports call these four cities home.

All three NFL teams in the state of Florida (Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers) are among the bottom seven in the NFL in attendance. In baseball, the Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Rays ranked 28th and 29th, respectively, in attendance.

Detroit, Michigan (#18 overall), is the only other city on the list with a team in one of the four major sports leagues.

I'd figure Detroit would be much lower.

I thought they lowered ticket prices the last 2 seasons.

Not from what I read. They increased season ticket prices even though the attendance was so poor.

My understanding was that the Glazers increased ticket prices overall (as in, average), but added packages for lower prices than were available last year. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

My understanding was that the Glazers increased ticket prices overall (as in, average), but added packages for lower prices than were available last year. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

I think that's what I read. So I probably misunderstood.

That whole area seems to have problems in any pro sport...not too sure why :shrug:

That whole area seems to have problems in any pro sport...not too sure why :shrug:

It's because such a significant portion of the population is comprised of people not originally from Tampa--or from Florida at all. Consequently, it's hard to build up a large fan base of die hard fans for life. Also, most people in Florida are bigger on college football than pro football. That's actually a trend of the Southeast in general, though.

It's because such a significant portion of the population is comprised of people not originally from Tampa--or from Florida at all. Consequently, it's hard to build up a large fan base of die hard fans for life. Also, most people in Florida are bigger on college football than pro football. That's actually a trend of the Southeast in general, though.

Hmmm I see...interesting :think:

I don't follow Tampa Bay sports teams that often, but I have noticed that they have a terrible Bucs fanbase and a terrible Rays fanbase (no offense to fans of either team on here). The stadiums NEVER look full unless it's being played across a friggin' ocean or if the Rays are playing an away game against somebody like the Yankees or Red Sox. This comes as no surprise to me, but like people are saying above, I'm surprised the Lions aren't further down on the list. I guess Justin Verlander & Calvin Johnson have helped out ticket sales.

The Bucs have had great fan support for a good amount of time until 2009 and 2010. Things started to go downhill with the economy and now many fans accuse the Glazers of being cheap and a lot of people feel the team isn't committed to winning. There is a lot of things not going well, but I hate when people say Tampa never supports the Bucs. That is a flat out lie. Raymond James Stadium was always sold out for a long time. Infact, last season was the first time the Bucs had a blackout at RayJay.

The Rays have always had problems, but that is because they play in a city full of people with allegiances to other baseball teams already. The Yankees play spring training right across the street from RayJay, and Steinbrenner has worked out of Tampa for a long time. Throw in the Trop being a dump and being located in a bad area and you get the crap the Rays have.

I don't follow Tampa Bay sports teams that often, but I have noticed that they have a terrible Bucs fanbase and a terrible Rays fanbase (no offense to fans of either team on here). The stadiums NEVER look full unless it's being played across a friggin' ocean or if the Rays are playing an away game against somebody like the Yankees or Red Sox. This comes as no surprise to me, but like people are saying above, I'm surprised the Lions aren't further down on the list. I guess Justin Verlander & Calvin Johnson have helped out ticket sales.

I think you're missing the point of the thread. If Tampa is THE BROKEST pro-sports city in America I think that says volumes to the blackouts that we have had the last two years...again...as Milla alluded too...the last TWO years. Not the last 5-10 years.

I'd accept the argument that Bucs fans, in general, suck if the blackouts have been an issue for many years prior. There are many factors, but this is and has been clearly the biggest factor. Don't get me wrong though...there are a group of complete idiots that think the Glazers are cheap and aren't committed to winning blah blah blah. They'll jump back on when we do start winning consistently again.

This topic has been beaten to death and you can thank the clueless media from other sports cities for a lot of the BS you've seen since this has been an issue...the last TWO years.

Also...good points, Milla.