Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

2011-2012 NBA Rumors Thread

Oh it's going to be huge. Guaranteed record breaking numbers for the NBA on opening day.

H/T to Mlla for posting it first in the shoutbox....:yep:

With rumors swirling around Dwight Howard’s future, the Orlando Magic were dealt more turbulent news today, as CEO Bob Vander Weide reportedly will step down, leaving Magic leadership in flux as the ’11-12 season approaches. Perhaps more interesting is Vander Weide’s last move as CEO—a late-night call to Howard, pleading for him to stay in Orlando. Central Florida News 13 has the details: “Bob Vander Weide is retiring as CEO of the Orlando Magic, Bright House Sports Network learned Tuesday. Alex Martins, the Magic’s current president, was named as Vander Weide’s replacement. Vander Weide was promoted to CEO in July 2010 after serving as the team’s president for 16 years. He began his career with the Magic in 1992 as vice president of basketball operations. Solid sources have confirmed Vander Weide made a 1 a.m. phone call Tuesday morning to Magic superstar Dwight Howard, and Howard thought Vander Weide may have been intoxicated. On that call, Vander Weide told Howard how much the Magic want to keep him in Orlando.”

Source: SLAMOnline.com

Edited by BLUE

Tyson Chandler doesn't expect to return to the Mavs. Too many whispers out there that teams are willing to give him a max deal (Nets, Rockets, etc).

NO called OKC to discuss a CP3 for Westbrook deal. OKC not interested.

I'd like a center, but giving Tyson Chandler a max deal is risky with his injury history and tendency to disappear (Charlotte).

Guest Phailadelphia

I'd like a center, but giving Tyson Chandler a max deal is risky with his injury history and tendency to disappear (Charlotte).

I agree. But half of the NBA GMs are bar none some of the dumbest people alive. Chandler and Nene are both likely to get near max contracts.

Word is, Chris Paul will be traded some time in the next several days. Clippers and Warriors appear to be the favorites.

Guest Phailadelphia

Word is, Chris Paul will be traded some time in the next several days. Clippers and Warriors appear to be the favorites.

Man, if the Warriors trade for CP3 then manage to sign Tyson Chandler...that team will be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Man, if the Warriors trade for CP3 then manage to sign Tyson Chandler...that team will be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

CP3 dishing to Blake Griffin would be much more epic imo.

I agree. But half of the NBA GMs are bar none some of the dumbest people alive. Chandler and Nene are both likely to get near max contracts.

Well, between those 2, Morey better get Chandler then or we're going to have to deal with Nene, who's a great player but seems to miss most of, if not all of, every other year.

SI_ChrisBallard And at $15 mil Tyson Chandler smells like classic FA overpay: 10-year vet w/injury history coming off playoffs and career year

THIS. Whoever gives Chandler 15+ million plus a year is going to regret it big time. I remember a year ago the Bobcats couldn't give him away, and now all of a sudden he is a huge commodity after a title with the Mavs.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Peter Vecsey of the New York Post reports that the Celtics and Hornets had agreed to a trade for Chris Paul, but Paul's refusal to sign an extension in Boston canned the talks.

How many people still believe Danny Ainge's comments that he's not shopping Rajon Rondo? It's obvious the Celtics are making a final push to win a championship with the current core, but Paul doesn't sound amenable to signing an extension with the team. Ainge is playing with fire by repeatedly dangling Rondo, and it may have an adverse impact on his play as a result. Dec 7 - 10:39 AM

Source: NY Post

I'm telling you man, Ainge doesn't know what the hell is doing in trying to get rid of Rondo. He is seriously damaging that teams relationship, which in the last 3 seasons has become a solid core of players that all trust and rely on each other.

Guest Phailadelphia

What that says to me is Ainge doesn't think he can build a team around Rondo after the big 3 retire.

First amnesty victim, Richard Jefferson.

Not expecting many more amnesties tbh. I think teams will keep it in their back pocket moving forward.

Guest Phailadelphia

The Spurs have amnesty'd Richard Jefferson; are in pursuit of Caron Butler who met with the team this morning.

The Spurs have amnesty'd Richard Jefferson; are in pursuit of Caron Butler who met with the team this morning.

They are after Josh Howard too. I think they have better chances with him, it sounds like Butler is going to end up with the Bulls.

The Mavs are unlikely to keep Chandler and Butler, and JJ Berea is no lock to stay. They are losing some key pieces to their championship team. Though, to be fair Butler was hurt during their run.

Guest Phailadelphia

JJ Barea said he doubts he'll return. I think the Mavs are going to stock up on 1-year deals for this season then go after key free agents in 2012 with all the cap money they're going to have after they amnesty Haywood and those 1-year deals expire.

RJ had a nice little resurrection in San Antonio. He can be an asset to any team right now.

Amnestied players go through some sort of waiver wire/bidding system that only teams under the cap are eligible for. Not sure any of those teams will have interest in Jefferson. If he clears he'll go to FA.

JJ Barea said he doubts he'll return. I think the Mavs are going to stock up on 1-year deals for this season then go after key free agents in 2012 with all the cap money they're going to have after they amnesty Haywood and those 1-year deals expire.

I'm surprised by that. He's definitely a favorite of Mark Cuban. I'd think he would pay him more than anyone else would.

The Phoenix Suns, the last team to employ Carter, can give him a $4 million buyout with 72 hours of the CBA being ratified instead of paying him the $18 million he’d be owed on the final year of his contract. The move, widely expected since the end of last season, would give the Suns significant financial flexibility in their pursuit of their own free agent, Grant Hill, and others.

I just want to completely tear this team apart and start over.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Tracy McGrady has agreed to join the Hawks on a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, according to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Smith first mentioned the possibility of this scenario on Tuesday. It's unclear exactly what plans the Hawks have for McGrady, but in a best-case scenario for T-Mac's value (barring any additional trades), the Hawks would use him to fill the scoring void created by the potential loss of free agent Jamal Crawford. The 32-year-old McGrady averaged just 8.0 points in 23 minutes per game for Detroit last season, upping his average to 10.1 points (with 4.1 rebounds and 4.5 assists) in 39 games as a starter. Dec 7 - 4:34 PM

Source: ESPN.com

T-Mac can give the Hawks solid minutes off the bench. He's a downgrade from Crawford though.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Hornets are "redoubling their research" on a trade centered around Rajon Rondo for Chris Paul.

The Hornets are unsatisfied with the offers the team has received thus far, and the team is doing its homework on Boston's offer. The Celtics are dangling Rondo, restricted free agent Jeff Green and two first round picks in exchange for a CP3 rental. Danny Ainge has been relentless in his pursuit of Paul, but Wojnarowski also cites the Lakers as a possibility and reports that Kobe Bryant and Paul have spoken by phone this week. These rumors aren't going away until he ultimately gets dealt out of New Orleans. Dec 8 - 9:05 AM

Source: Yahoo! Sports

@ESPNSteinLine (Marc Stein):

Source close to Tyson Chandler talks just told ESPN.com: "It's 98 percent sure that Tyson is going to wind up with the Knicks."