BLUE

Falcons Acquire CB Asante Samuel for 7th Round Draft Pick

For realz??? :panic:

Dang! We robbed the Eagles, at least I feel that way. They could have EASILY asked for a 4th or 5th rounder. This is awesome.

Grimes-Samuel-Robinson

Is that a lineup or what??

Edited by Chris D

Good pickup for the Falcons due to the divison they play in. They'll be better in the pass def catagory. but when teams run to the outside and he needs to make a tackle, forget it. Deangelo Williams will take his ass for a ride. Still... for a 7th thats not bad, im glad we didnt trade for him, i couldnt handle missed tackles.

• Downvote 2

Great trade for the Falcons. We got hosed.

Ya, I was talking with AirMcNair about this in the shoutbox... I was saying how badly the Eagles got bent over in this deal. And he brought up how it's not really that bad because at least they got something for a guy that wasn't going to make your roster anyway and it wasn't the Eagles fault they only got a 7th.

I remember that you guys had Asante on the block last year, and you wanted a pair of 2nds for him... But I couldn't remember who it was that was ready to pounce on him.

Eagles had to have seen this coming. and even though nobody offered what they wanted... They SHOULD have dealt him last year. Especially after that start of theirs.

Although, I suppose hindsight is 20/20

We had a deal in place with the Lions for a 2nd and a 3rd, but apparently contract restructuring got in the way. And yes, it just goes to show that for the Eagles, last offseason was a prime example of how to mismanage a football team and take steps backwards towards the path of winning a Super Bowl.

At least we have cap room to sign rookies and give Shady his pay day.

Good pickup for the Falcons due to the divison they play in. They'll be better in the pass def catagory. but when teams run to the outside and he needs to make a tackle, forget it. Deangelo Williams will take his ass for a ride. Still... for a 7th thats not bad, im glad we didnt trade for him, i couldnt handle missed tackles.

The only person taking any rides today will be you Mr. MikeyDay, your sleek self has returned with a cold unwelcome. Pretty obvious when your Skype name is MikeyDay561 (heaven forbid what you do on you Skype account besides type). Enjoy your free ride back to NeverComeBackAgainLand

Edited by ThiefOnTheCross
  • Downvote 1

We had a deal in place with the Lions for a 2nd and a 3rd, but apparently contract restructuring got in the way. And yes, it just goes to show that for the Eagles, last offseason was a prime example of how to mismanage a football team and take steps backwards towards the path of winning a Super Bowl.

At least we have cap room to sign rookies and give Shady his pay day.

Last offseason was building up towards this season. I did not expect instant results with our free agents and the shortened training camp, and at the time, keeping Asante sounded good with the emergence of the 3 WR base package and disappearance of the FB. And you said it yourself, contract restructuring got in the way with that proposed trade, so it sounds to me like that had nothing to do with the Eagles. Yeah a 7th round pick is really low, I guess Roseman came off really desperate, but if this was a cap/system fit issue all along... a 7th is better than nothing. If Roseman was desperate enough to trade him for a 7th, it is a plain fact that he would have cut him for nothing if he couldn't find a trade at all.

The team also had a really good record in games which Vick started and finished. That had as much to do with our final record as anything. And if the Jets beat the Giants in that game near the end of the season... imagine how different this offseason would be, with the reigning champs missing the playoffs.

So no, last offseason was not mismanaged if you ask me. It was just a series of unfortunate events like the shortened TC/new DC/no MLB, and Vick's glass body. My expectations for this season are "Super Bowl or bust." Last season they were "Super Bowl please." I expect the Eagles to take the 4 game winning streak they ended the season with and continue into this year with momentum.

So no, last offseason was not mismanaged if you ask me. It was just a series of unfortunate events like the shortened TC/new DC/no MLB, and Vick's glass body.

I must strongly disagree with you. I've made this point many times before, so I'll be as brief as possible.

After acquiring Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha, the Eagles had three outside cornerbacks. Someone had to go, since none of them could play the slot, and we already had Joselio Hanson as a well established slot cornerback. Considering that Asante was the one of the three who didn't fit our new defensive scheme, he should have been traded. The Eagles clearly mismanaged the secondary, as evidenced by putting DRC in the slot and taking Asomugha out of his comfort zone by putting him all over the place.

Now, I'm not saying last offseason was a total failure. Certainly getting a 2nd + DRC for Kevin Kolb was a steal, and the signings of Asomugha, Cullen Jenkins, and Jason Babin were huge. And certainly our defense wouldn't have been stellar considering the shortened offseason, but you have to wonder how much better it would have been if the secondary was handled properly. (And perhaps if the Eagles had not refused to address the linebacker position.)

The only person taking any rides today will be you Mr. MikeyDay, your sleek self has returned with a cold unwelcome. Pretty obvious when your Skype name is MikeyDay561 (heaven forbid what you do on you Skype account besides type). Enjoy your free ride back to NeverComeBackAgainLand

Are we sure that's Mikey? He actually has somewhat good spelling/grammar. Every one of Mikey's posts were eyesores.

Lol. I didn't see that he had actually put up on his profile his skype name and it was MikeyDay561.

Edited by Thanatos19

I must strongly disagree with you. I've made this point many times before, so I'll be as brief as possible.

After acquiring Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha, the Eagles had three outside cornerbacks. Someone had to go, since none of them could play the slot, and we already had Joselio Hanson as a well established slot cornerback. Considering that Asante was the one of the three who didn't fit our new defensive scheme, he should have been traded. The Eagles clearly mismanaged the secondary, as evidenced by putting DRC in the slot and taking Asomugha out of his comfort zone by putting him all over the place.

Now, I'm not saying last offseason was a total failure. Certainly getting a 2nd + DRC for Kevin Kolb was a steal, and the signings of Asomugha, Cullen Jenkins, and Jason Babin were huge. And certainly our defense wouldn't have been stellar considering the shortened offseason, but you have to wonder how much better it would have been if the secondary was handled properly. (And perhaps if the Eagles had not refused to address the linebacker position.)

Rome wasn't built in an offseason. In hindsight, they could have lowered their asking price for Samuel, but the contract issue would still be there, so would we really have gotten a pick much better than we got this offseason? Giving Asante a shot, and having 3 starting outside corners in the case of unpredictable injuries was worth it to me, because there are exceptions to the rule, but guys with 9 million dollar contracts don't get traded for high picks very often. We've ripped off teams so many times before, it's been a while since we were on the receiving end, so I can swallow freeing up Asante's cap for a 7th round pick.

Our only real glaring mistake was not addressing the linebacker position. I said on here that the wide 9 exploits linebackers as soon as Castillo announced it, but I guess the team either didn't see it coming, or felt it wasn't an issue that our prospects couldn't overcome. Lesson learned, DeMeco Ryans earned.

The team really came together at the end of the year, and the defense ended the season ranked very high. If Vick would have stayed healthy for just one of those games where we lost the lead when he went down and we made the playoffs, the tune in Eagles nation might be sung a little differently this offseason. I had no expectations going into last year and all the hope in the world. This year, I am expecting way more and hoping nobody gets injured.

Can you remind me and the rest of the people on the board what that comment has to do with this Philly-ATL trade?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Let's not derail this thread, folks.

Back on topic: Asante for a 7th? Ooof, they should have traded him last season when they had the chance to probably get more ...

Edited by BLUE

Well I think the guys before us explained it best Blue. It was just circumstances that led to him not being traded last season. I think it was more the fact he wasn't ready to restructure his contract, and less that they were worried about the short camp. Who knows. All I know is that the Falcons got one hell of a cornerback for next to nothing.

I'm just absolutely "giddy" over having Samuels and Grimes on the outside and then being able to stick Robinson in the new big-nickel packages of Mike Nolan. Damn. I tell you guys something, when Nolan arrived in Atlanta he stated that with his schemes he would love to have 3 starting cornerbacks to bring everything together. If he hasn't got 3 starting corners now, I don't know what he's got! This also makes losing Lofton a lot easier in the minds of a lot of Falcons fans (Not my own, I never minded). We should have one hell of a defense!

Well I think the guys before us explained it best Blue. It was just circumstances that led to him not being traded last season. I think it was more the fact he wasn't ready to restructure his contract, and less that they were worried about the short camp. Who knows. All I know is that the Falcons got one hell of a cornerback for next to nothing.

I'm just absolutely "giddy" over having Samuels and Grimes on the outside and then being able to stick Robinson in the new big-nickel packages of Mike Nolan. Damn. I tell you guys something, when Nolan arrived in Atlanta he stated that with his schemes he would love to have 3 starting cornerbacks to bring everything together. If he hasn't got 3 starting corners now, I don't know what he's got! This also makes losing Lofton a lot easier in the minds of a lot of Falcons fans (Not my own, I never minded). We should have one hell of a defense!

Dream Team South? :shifty: