Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

**Update** Report: Anthony Spencer might be franchised

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Cowboys are expected to let free agent OLB Anthony Spencer test the open market.

According to Pro Football Weekly, Dallas wants to revamp the strong side of its defense and LE Kenyon Coleman may also be out. Spencer never took the next step as a pass rusher in five seasons with Dallas, maxing out with six sacks in 2011 and 2009. He'll still attract plenty of interest after forcing four fumbles this past season and playing tough run defense. Jan 13 - 6:27 PM

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Edited by BLUE

I'd definitely like to see him in Pittsburgh. I think he'd do well in the traditional 3-4 rather than the gap-shooting 3-4 that Dallas runs. If he were playing next to a big, block-eating DE I think he'd find much more success. Harrison is getting old and Worilds has not impressed me whatsoever.

Thompson should look into signing him. He would be a big improvement over what Green Bay has now. He can stop the run quite well and can rush the passer at times. Could move Matthews back over and let him create havoc on the blindside.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Good at the run, but too slow getting to the passer.

Guest Phailadelphia

Good at the run, but too slow getting to the passer.

And he didn't even play the run that well this year. Overpursues something awful on too many plays.

Victor Butler had what, half his sacks in a quarter of his snaps? Adios, Spencer.

I dunno about this. I like Victor Butler, but letting Spencer go would create some depth issues if Butler were to get injured. Spencer is good against the run and pass, but for some reason can't get to the QB. If Spence was a pass rushing force, Ware would have had the sack record this year.

Thompson should look into signing him. He would be a big improvement over what Green Bay has now. He can stop the run quite well and can rush the passer at times. Could move Matthews back over and let him create havoc on the blindside.

I figured I would see you post in here.

I don't even think we are going to think about looking at him. I am pretty sure that our FO realizes the lack of talent we have on the right side of our front 7 and they'll make the necessary changes this offseason. Signing Anthony Spencer will do nada to help our pass rush. Stopping the run hasn't been our problem this year. Our issue has been giving up the big plays and it's because quarterbacks get 10 seconds each play to throw the damn ball.

I figured I would see you post in here.

I don't even think we are going to think about looking at him. I am pretty sure that our FO realizes the lack of talent we have on the right side of our front 7 and they'll make the necessary changes this offseason. Signing Anthony Spencer will do nada to help our pass rush. Stopping the run hasn't been our problem this year. Our issue has been giving up the big plays and it's because quarterbacks get 10 seconds each play to throw the damn ball.

He would be a HUGE improvement over the dogshit we have at ROLB right now, it's embarrassing how we allowed these fucking scrubs to play outside the whole season. Only other options would be taking a chance at drafting a guy or try to get Mario Williams.

He would be a HUGE improvement over the dogshit we have at ROLB right now, it's embarrassing how we allowed these fucking scrubs to play outside the whole season. Only other options would be taking a chance at drafting a guy or try to get Mario Williams.

The thing is he really wouldn't be...our issue is at defensive end imo. Erik Walden and Zombo did great last year because we had a stellar RE. Now that he's gone, they look like utter shit.

I hope we go DE in the draft. Heavy DE and LB.

I wonder if he could be a DE in the 4-3? Putting him opposite of Jabaal Sheard might not be a bad move, they are about the same size.

Per Rotoworld.com:

A team source tells the Fort Worth Star-Telegram the Cowboys are considering using the franchise tag on free agent OLB Anthony Spencer.

Pro Football Weekly reported in January that the Cowboys would likely let Spencer test the open market, but they're apparently skeptical they can find an upgrade opposite DeMarcus Ware. Although a disappointment as a pass rusher since being Dallas' first-round pick in 2007, Spencer has been consistently solid against the run, and tallied six sacks to go along with 66 tackles and four forced fumbles in 2011. He'd be guaranteed roughly $9 million under the franchise tag. Feb 13 - 11:24 AM

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Well, I'd rather drastically overpay him for one season and get a deal done than let him walk. He's a very underrated player, to be honest. Even if he doesn't get too many sacks, he's too good at everything else.

• Downvote 1