Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

Report: Chip Kelly near deal to become Bucs' next HC

According to KGW NewsChannel 8 in Portland, the Bucs are "in the process of finalizing a deal" that would make Chip Kelly of Oregon their next head coach.

KGW is based in Oregon, so we assume they have sources with knowledge of the situation. Per reporter Michael Berk, Kelly will be the next coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs "if he can come to terms on a contract." Oregon's coach for the last three seasons, Kelly has gone 34-6 with three consecutive Pac-10/12 conference titles. Kelly would figure to bring his zone-read offense to the pros.

The St. Petersburg Times has confirmed a KGW-TV Portland report that the Bucs are in the process of finalizing a contract to make Chip Kelly of Oregon their next head coach.

Many were skeptical of the story when it first appeared on the KGW-TV website, but beat reporter Rick Stroud confirms it's legit. Per Stroud, the sides are hopeful a deal will be completed "in the next 24-48 hours." Kelly met with Bucs management last week. Similar to Pete Carroll when he left USC for the Seahawks, it's believed Kelly will or is currently being investigated for NCAA violations. He may be bolting just before Oregon is hit with sanctions.

Schefter just confirmed it too....

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 15px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); ">

Talks between Oregon HC Chip Kelly and the Buccaneers are said to be "active." Both sides trying to get it wrapped up within next 48 hours.

Not too sure what to think of this. I don't know much about him, but I am not a fan of bringing college guys into the NFL. Would rather have Marty or Zimmer.

I was hoping they would sign someone with actual NFL experience, but I guess it's better than signing Chilly or Sherman.

Guest Phailadelphia

Chip Kelly + Josh Freeman? Yes, please.

Wow, I just realized that guy on PR who claimed that the Bucs were talking to a "mystery" splash candidate.....was on to something lol.

He must have some reason to leave Oregon so abruptly. I sense them getting USC'd.

Chip Kelly is a such a fat pussy. What a despicable human being for him to feel a little heat from the college ranks that he finds it logical to just run away from the problem.

Hopefully the Bucs go 0 - 16.

I don't even think I'd take Chip Kelly over lmaoRaheemMorris.

Awful, awful hire by TB.

I think the Bucs are trying to generate more excitement with a top college coach with a history of exciting offense.

It is a ballsy move, but I'm okay with it. Tony Dungy approves of Kelly in the NFL, so I'll see what happens. :yep:

Chip Kelly is a such a fat pussy. What a despicable human being for him to feel a little heat from the college ranks that he finds it logical to just run away from the problem.

Hopefully the Bucs go 0 - 16.

Dude, this is standard operating procedure, don't you know?

Pete Carrol gets hemmed up in USC: off to Seattle!

Jim Tressel gets axed at OSU: I'll lay low in the booth in Indy until that incompetent Caldwell gets canned then take his job.

It's not just football either. Look at John Calipari in Kentucky B-ball: broken programs riddled with sanctions everywhere in his wake.

Why not Chip Kelly?

Why assume he is doing this solely because Oregon may be under investigation by the NCAA? It may have played into it, but he did say in a radio interview a year ago that he wants to coach in the NFL eventually. Maybe he just wants a new challenge?

I'd love to see the Blur in the NFL. There's nothing like innovation.

Never mind.

EPIC fail by the Glazer boys and Dominik. Major egg on their face.

@PewterReport (Buccaneers News):

BREAKING: Chip Kelly to stay at Oregon, is no longer considered a candidate by the Bucs for Tampa Bay's vacancy.

The most frustrating this about this is that this organization is yet again left with a little embarrassment and we STILLLLLLL don't have a HC.

Dammit I'm so ready for this to be over...

:facepalm:

I'm not suprised. It felt weird from the beginning.

What is worse than it falling apart is there is still no end in sight to this mess once again.

Not happy we don't have a HC, but kind of glad they didn't hire the guy when he has absolutely zero experience with the NFL. Makes me wonder though if he didn't accept the job because the Glazers wouldn't give him the kind of control he may have wanted.

Oh well, gives another chance for Zimmer.

According to reports, he DID accept the job but then got cold feet.

I think people from Oregon caught wind of the talk and convinced him to stay personally. I don't mind not having him as HC, I was skeptical at first but grew on it, but the part that sucks is still not having a HC and now having egg all over our faces.

Its' Billy Donovan all over again lol, my teams just need to leave college coaches alone.

Well... I guess I owe an apology to Chip Kelly. He hasn't fled the scene... Yet.

But the Bucs are better off this way. Time to give Brad Childress a call.

Just thought the whole situation over. Really just shows what a fail Chip Kelly is. He claims his heart is in Oregon..... yet he goes through an interview with the Bucs. Thanks for staying in Oregon, Chip, it is pretty obvious the NFL is not for you.

Probably even more fail on the Glazers part though. Can't believe they were willing to give this asshole $6 mil per year.

Give me Zimmer, Schotty or Chud please. :yep:

Not only did he go through an interview with the Bucs, he ACCEPTED the position. The Bucs were expecting to finalize a contract with him today and have a PC tonight or tommorrow.

I think this is what happened.

He interviewed with the Bucs on Wednesday, Glazers offered him the job, he accepted and the two sides started hammering out a deal. Last night, a Portland reporter caught wind of this and the news spread like wildfire across the internet. Several Oregon people close to Kelly then began calling/texting him asking him to stay and he had a change of heart, ala Billy Donovan when he left the Gators for the Magic. These guys like to flirt with the pros, but when they face the school they start feeling bad/having second thoughts.

Word is, the Bucs are absolutely pissed, and I can't blame them. Whether or not you think he would be a good hire, it is still a bitch move to make an agreement and then back out at the last second. Word is, Oregon had already offered Kelly's OC the HC job so he just made things pretty awkward for everyone involved.

Not only am I glad he wont be our coach but now the Bangy Bandwagon won't be coming through Tampa again. That would have been a hell of an excuse to come back to us.

Still holding out hope for Zimmer or Chud...