Sign in to follow this  
BC

Some rumors

I'm not sure the Browns are sold on taking Tannehill at #4, so I don't buy the rumors of them moving up a spot for him.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/11/insider-upshaw-not-first-round-pick

By Nolan Nawrocki

The following quotes are from NFL executives,coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "The more Courtney Upshaw talked (in theinterview process), the more I got scared. He has a lot of distractions in hislife. There are a lot of concerns there. We need an edge guy, but we wouldn'ttouch him in the first (round). I'd have hesitations in the second where we'repicking, after hearing him talk about grabbing his girlfriend by thehair."

• "You can't take away (Baylor WR Kendall)Wright's production. He is falling (in the draft), but he's still aplaymaker."

• "(Wisconsin OG Kevin) Zeitler struggles inpass pro a little bit. The program is known for its run blocking. That’s theirflavor of the day. He has 31-inch arms and gets out of sorts in passprotection."

• "(Former LSU CB) Patrick Peterson had oneunique quality — he could fly. That is why he went where he did. He has beenmore productive as a punt returner than he has been as a corner. He won gamesas a returner. (Morris) Claiborne is not as fast. I worry about LSU skill guys— look at the corners and safeties and receivers that have come out of theprogram. How many have been free of issues coming out?"

• "(Iowa OLT) Riley Reiff is a guard all theway. He is a tough, grinding guard — the same as (Ravens All-Pro and formerHawkeye Marshal) Yanda. That’s what I think he is."

• "Everyone says (South Carolina CB) StephonGilmore is rising after his workout. That is what I am hearing on the street.He is a big corner, and everyone is going big now. The value is in the latefirst. I’ve heard teams talking about him in the top 10."

• "(Washington RB Chris) Polk was productive on a (bad)team, but he gained weight this year and lost some speed and did not have anyburst. He was coming off knee surgery. I’m not sure if he ever had explosivespeed, to be honest. We have him in the fifth (round)."

• "(South Carolina WR) Alshon Jeffery can'trun a lick. Show me the tape where he separates with speed or quickness."

• "I hope that big sucker (Alabama RB TrentRichardson) does not come to our division. He's a man's man. I don't want tosee him twice a year."

Edited by GoodellFTL

Stephon Gilmore in the top 10? lol Gilmore is a guy who looks better in shorts than pads, I wouldn't touch him in the first.

Im getting this STRONG gut feeling that the Eagles' interest to moving up has a lot to do with the DTs. Specifically Cox and maybe but probably not, Brockers. It's just an 'educated hunch' though.

SI's Tony Pauline is "hearing" that the 49ers' No. 30 overall pick will come down to either Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill or "the highest rated offensive guard" on San Francisco's draft board.

49ers GM Trent Baalke stated Wednesday that San Francisco is eyeballing "one player" at the No. 30 pick, although he obviously didn't say whom it was. Just connecting the dots, we'd say there's a good chance it's Hill. The Niners had Hill in for a pre-draft visit on April 16. Even after Randy Moss and Mario Manningham's short-term signings, receiver is a need spot for the 49ers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=7445&line=231682&spln=1

Brad Briggs:

Who will #Bears draft in 1st round? One scout I trust is 2 for 2 with their picks the last 2 years. Pegged Major Wright in ’10 and Gabe Carimi in ’11. So, I texted him and asked who he project as Phil Emery’s first pick as GM? He responded, "Quinton Coples if he falls!" If the UNC defensive end doesn’t fall he offered a backup plan. Says Clemson DE Andre Branch would be good fit and likely pick by Bears. Remember, this guy nailed 75th overall pick in 2010 and 29th pick last year. We’ll see soon.

Schefter’s latest nugget of possibly erroneous information may come as a slight surprise to those who thought the draft board was carved in granite at least when it comes to the top few picks. Schefter says the Vikings are considering a number of candidates at the #3 pick including Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon, Morris Claiborne and Michael Floyd. Which of these names does not belong?

But is Floyd really that much of a stretch at #3? Maybe not. Draft authority Greg Cosell yesterday declared that in his mind Floyd is a superior prospect to Blackmon. Cosell wrote, “Floyd vs. Blackmon: A fascinating and compelling study. Many will disagree, but I see Floyd as the more complete prospect. The film tells me he has more ability to line up on the outside and win one-on-one. Blackmon’s success will be more a function of scheme, and how he’s utilized in the context of a multi-dimensional passing offense.”

http://thevikingage.com/2012/04/18/adam-schefter-vikings-are-considering-michael-floyd-at-3/

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Cox would make a ton of sense for the Rams actually. They could use some DT help and he is a better prospect than any of the WRs IMO.

Also, no way can the Bears be seriously considering Andre Branch with the 19th pick in the draft. They can't need a DE that bad where they'd reach that much to take him.

Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden "gets the vibe" the Browns are interested in him, and "relishes" the thought of competing with Colt McCoy.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/post_124.html

ESPN's Adam Schefter is only "28.3 percent sure" the Vikings will select USC LT Matt Kalil with the No. 3 pick.

ESPN's Adam Schefter "could see" Alabama S Mark Barron going to the Cowboys at No. 14.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Titans "would be happy" to land a "good" cornerback.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

Someone tweeted at Schefter if the Browns should take Richardson or Claiborne and he said as of today (Saturday), he thinks Claiborne will be gone when the Browns pick.

It's possible that the Vikings might not have that high of a grade on Kalil...at least not a #3 overall pick grade...

Oooorrrrrr...lthey are just putting this info out there to get a team to trade up with them to get either Richardson or Claiborne...

That would suck if TR and Claiborne are gone when we pick....

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell does not have USC LT Matt Kalil among the first 10 picks in his mock draft.

Cosell has cautioned that the "explanations (will be) more important than the actual picks" in the mock draft he's set to release on Monday, but it's still an extremely interesting opinion from one of the football media's biggest film junkies. The odds Kalil falls out of the top 10 on Thursday are near, if not, zero.

Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter

Going solely by "on-field play," NFL Films guru Greg Cosell ranks LSU's Morris Claiborne as only the third-best cornerback in this season's draft class.

Cosell made the revelation as part of a tease for his mock draft, which will be released on Monday. He didn't divulge whom he had ranked ahead a player widely considered this year's top corner, but our best guesses are South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore and Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick. North Alabama's Janoris Jenkins is also a possibility. Despite the surprising opinion of a highly-respected draftnik, Claiborne remains the overwhelming favorite to be the first corner off the board.

Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter

@evansilva: "well-placed official" for team in top 12 told @AdamSchefter that Tannehill is best QB in draft

After speaking with NFL executives, The Sideline View's Adam Caplan gets the "sense" that the Browns will target Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden at No. 37 rather than No. 22 overall.

Caplan confirms Cleveland has "spent a lot of time" on Weeden, including an April 2 visit to club headquarters. There is little doubt that the Browns are interested in drafting him, but it doesn't sound like they've deemed Weeden worthy of a first-round pick. Look for the Browns to select Trent Richardson at No. 4, the best receiver available at No. 22, and perhaps Weeden at 37.

Roto

We have heard from several sources that the Houston Texans are seriously considering using their first round pick, number 26, on tight end Coby Fleener of Stanford.

Surprisingly the other team showing a lot of interest in Fleener are the San Francisco 49ers. We hear its more than just the usual overt interest rather a number of phone calls and close inspection of the Stanford tight end.

Draftinsider.com

And not really rumor but...

"We’re in dialogue with every team in the league," McDonough said. "I would have spoken with the representative, either a GM or director of player personnel or head coach on every team in the league over the next couple of weeks. It’s been a little bit busier this year than it’s been in the past as far as fielding phone calls and things of that nature.”...

it could be a difficult pick to trade. That could mean the Jaguars are stuck at seven, much like they were stuck at 10 during the 2010 draft despite trying to trade down.

Today comes Peter King's report that the market for the seventh pick is "comatose, unless Jacksonville's asking price is downright miniscule."

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/429812/tania-ganguli/2012-04-23/jaguars-ability-trade-down-7th-pick

Oh, the rumors are flying...this is gonna be fun on Thursday. :devious:

Not a rumor, but...

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, some NFL scouts believe South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore "could be the Dontari Poe of the secondary" as a defender whose measurables don't match his on-field play.

Gilmore is a long, pretty-looking cornerback at 6-foot-1, 190 with 4.4-flat wheels, but he gave up a lot of receptions in the SEC and didn't always maximize his ability. NFL scouts don't make draft-room decisions, of course, and league executives are high enough on Gilmore that he seems destined for the top 10.

I'm glad I'm not the only person seeing this. All this talk of him going top ten makes me lol, his game tape isn't top 10 material, it isn't even first round IMO. Teams like his size, speed and length. They are going with potential over tape, which normally doesn't work IMO.

some more rumors for the fiends....

The Stephon Gilmore train continues to pick up steam. I had him seven in my mock draft to Jacksonville last week, and I have no regrets. I know two teams that have him rated higher than Claiborne ...

Georgia OT Cordy Glenn is one of the Arizona Cardinals targets for the #13 overall pick.

SI Peter King

Mike Lombardi of the NFL Network reports that Syracuse DE Chandler Jones is a “hot commodity” around the NFL right now.

Lombardi adds that Jones “should come off the board sometime between pick No. 10 and pick No. 20.”

nfl.com

Can't wait until the draft is over so we can scan back through this thread to see who was on the money and who was full of shit.

According to columnist Kevin Acee of Union Tribune, the Chargers “love” Alabama safety Mark Barron and have discussed the possibility of moving up in this year’s draft to acquire him
Per @TonyPauline the #Jaguars have been shopping the 7th pick "almost in desperation"but haven't found any buyers.

Can't wait until the draft is over so we can scan back through this thread to see who was on the money and who was full of shit.

I'm willing to bet most of it is bullshit.

@AdamSchefter:Here we go: Vikes GM Rick Spielman said trade talk at No. 3 is "heating up....There is enough that there is a potential for a trade."
Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

We are in full smoke screen now...

One high-ranking personnel chief believes "a lot" of teams do not view Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill as a first-round pick.

"I can see a situation where he doesn't go at all in the top 20," said the personnel chief. "If Miami doesn't grab him, and they got Mike Sherman there, the teams behind them are going to start questioning, what the hell are we doing taking him?" The official as well at least one other AFC team tell NFL.com that Tannehill is not a Top 20 prospect on their respective draft boards.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Tannehill drops. The interest in him may be overrated.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Tannehill drops. The interest in him may be overrated.

All it takes is one team.

I'd be pretty shocked if KC passes on him if he drops to #11.

According to NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, some teams are now considering a trade up to No. 5 to jump ahead of the Rams for fast-rising DT Fletcher Cox.

fuck-yea.png