Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Titans QB Competition

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Titans week 1 starter?

• Matt Hasselbeck
    • Jake Locker

Cook: Don't sell Locker short in QB competition

Posted on April 9, 2012 by JOHN GLENNON, The Tennessean

It would be easy to believe that veteran Matt Hasselbeck holds the inside edge for the Titans' starting quarterback job in 2012. After all, he started every game last season, threw for almost 3,600 yards, and helped the Titans boost their win total by three from 2010.

But Titans tight end Jared Cook says second-year pro Jake Locker should make the starting quarterback competition quite interesting.

"I think Matt has a little bit of upside, but I think Jake's got heart," Cook said following a recent appearance at LP Field to promote the NFL Play60 campaign for kids. "Jake knows what he wants. When you know what you want, sometimes you're going to get it. So I think it's going to be a good competition."

Cook says he sees good reasons why either Hasselbeck or Locker could wind up as the starter.

"Matt is a vet," Cook said. "He knows the game. Simple. He just knows it. He knows what he's doing. He's been to the playoffs. He's the guy that can lead us there.

"Jake is a young, talented player. He can make things happen with his legs and his arm. He did good last year, the times he got to come in the game and play.

"People have been asking me this whole offseason (who the starter will be). I've been telling them it's going to be a good competition. Both guys are good quarterbacks."

Source

I think this will be one of the most intriguing training camp storylines across the league, and I don't think that's just because I'm a Titans fan. Usually when a team goes into camp with a battle for the QB spot it's because they don't have anyone they're confident in, but we've actually got two QBs that are very capable of leading this team IMO. The headline makes it seem like Cook is already lining up behind Locker, but I think whichever QB starts week one will have the full support of the team, after reading Cook's full comments I'm sure he'll get behind whoever is tabbed the starter, it's gonna be really interesting to see who that is.

Edited by oochymp

Either way, you have a really good backup. I'll see how the preseason goes before I give my opinion on which one should be the starter, but Locker shows a lot of promise.

Either way, you have a really good backup. I'll see how the preseason goes before I give my opinion on which one should be the starter, but Locker shows a lot of promise.

yeah, I'm planning on doing the same (waiting to see how they perform at least in camp) but I figured I'd go ahead and throw the poll up, I'm hoping Locker takes it, but I'm willing to put a lot of faith in Munchak to pick the guy who looks like the better option (and not just because I have to :p) I'll also be interested to see how long of a leash the week 1 starter gets, whoever that ends up being

Edited by oochymp

I can't answer the poll because I think the QB who SHOULD be the week 1 starter is the guy who looks better through training camp, OTAs, and preseason games. It should be interesting to watch Locker with a full offseason (and presumably most of the playbook) under his belt now. Having said all that, he was the 8th overall pick; unless Hasselbeck is lighting the world on fire, we should see him in action by the end of the year.

Webster: Starting QB decision will be 'gut feel'

Posted on May 16, 2012 by JOHN GLENNON, The Tennessean

Titans general manager Ruston Webster said the competition for the starting quarterback job between Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker is already well underway.

Webster said he and the coaching staff are going over practice video of the two quarterbacks on a daily basis, and that they will be charting throws and keeping statistics from practices as well.

"It's very detailed," Webster said. "Stats are a part of it. But like I've said before, I'm not a huge stats guy."

So how does he think a decision will eventually be reached on whether to go with the veteran (Hasselbeck) or the second-year pro (Locker)?

"It will probably be a gut feel more than anything else," Webster said. "I think they'll both do well. But I think it will be a gut feel, so you kind of just go with what you feel is best – (the player) who, in a tight race, we feel like has the best chance to help us win, even though we're comfortable with either one of them."

Asked if the Titans would lean toward Hasselbeck's experience if the competition was very close, Webster said: "I think you have to cross that bridge when you come to it. Like I said, you'll have a gut feeling."

In a perfect world, the decision would be reached early in training camp, but that's probably not realistic.

"I'd hope," Webster said, "but I'm not sure that happens."

Source

even though he doesn't come out and say it, I still think this is Hasselbeck's job to lose

I think Hasselbeck will be given one more shot as the starter entering the season, but he will have a very short leash to deal with. After that, it will be Jake Locker's team no questions asked in 2013.

I think Hasselbeck will be given one more shot as the starter entering the season, but he will have a very short leash to deal with. After that, it will be Jake Locker's team no questions asked in 2013.

yeah, you don't draft a guy at #8 to sit him for three years and Hasselbeck's contract only goes through this year, so if he's back after this year I think it'll be with that understanding

I think Matt starts the season. Don't put all the pressure on Locker to be great right away.

No point in rushing Locker at all. If he's ready and if he's the best QB available, go for it. But don't rush it. :nope:

yeah, you don't draft a guy at #8 to sit him for three years and Hasselbeck's contract only goes through this year, so if he's back after this year I think it'll be with that understanding

Bit late, but Hasselbeck signed a 3 year deal, not a 2 year deal. Barring getting cut(which I highly doubt in any circumstance), he'll be here in 2013.

Bit late, but Hasselbeck signed a 3 year deal, not a 2 year deal. Barring getting cut(which I highly doubt in any circumstance), he'll be here in 2013.

My bad, I could have sworn it was two, but I just looked it up and you are correct, I'm not sure why I thought it was two and like you I highly doubt he gets cut, the only way he's not on our roster in '13 is if he retires, but it doesn't change the point that you don't draft a guy #8 to sit him for three years, especially since he's only on a four year deal (and that I actually looked up :p )

Yeah Hass won't be the starting QB in 2013, barring him having some kind of amazing season and leading us to a superbowl title. Which if that were to somehow happen, I imagine he'd retire and go out on top given his age.

Palmer: Competition will better Locker, Hasselbeck

Posted on May 24, 2012 by JOHN GLENNON, The Tennessean

There's nothing quite like an open quarterback competition to fuel an entire offseason's worth of speculation. That's where the Titans find themselves, after coach Mike Munchak wrapped up the 2011 season by saying the starting quarterback job would be up for grabs between Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker.

Titans coaches will certainly get tired of discussing the situation with media over the next few months, but offensive coordinator Chris Palmer says he still thinks it's a good idea that the two quarterbacks will be trying to one-up one another.

"Just like anything, it's competition," Palmer said today at Baptist Sports Park. "I always felt when I played squash or tennis, when I played someone that was better than me I raised my game. I think it's good and I think it's fun. The thing that is really good is that both guys get along and I think that opens up the competition. I think both will grow and accept it for what it is."

Palmer acknowledged that Locker, entering his second year, gives the Titans a different dimension with his athleticism, but that the 36-year-old Hasselbeck – who had one of the better years of his career last season – brings advantages to the tables as well.

"(Jake) gives you some plays that Matt doesn't give you and that's his legs," Palmer said. "(There's) not a lot of 36-year-old quarterbacks that are running around and making plays with their legs. It all comes down to who is going to give you the most plays.

"In Matt's situation he gives us some plays by throwing the football. He's very, very good at it. He had his third-best career season last year. To throw for 3,500 yards at 36 that's pretty good. He gave the other guys an opportunity to make plays.

"Now you bring Jake in … well, Jake may not give all the other guys the opportunity to make plays like Matt does, but Jake can make plays with his legs. When you add up how many plays Matt can make with the team and how many plays Jake can make with the team then you kind of have an idea who's going to give us the best chance to win."

"But it's a situation that … everybody is going to know. It's going to be clear. There's going to be a feeling that, opening up with New England, this guy gives us the best chance to win. As a coach, you're thinking about those things all the time. It's not a snap judgment.

"I think you look around, you look at your team, and how the quarterback is part of that team is very, very important … It's how he complements the other guys and can get them the ball, how he gets us into the right plays, how he doesn't get flustered. All of those things are part of the equation."

Full Article

OTAs start on Wednesday, then there will actually be something to talk about, but I've gotta say I don't think it's gonna be as clear as Palmer is expecting

Edited by oochymp

Locker is set up for success. I say give him the keys to the offense and see what he has. Britt-Wright-Johnson all are legit. Jared Cook JR is emerging too.

regardless of commentary about either coming in with a head start, the coaches aren't acting that way, first team reps are being split 50-50 with both QBs also getting equal time with the second team. There's a long article on the Tennessean, here's the portion of it I think most people will find interesting:

“We’re trying to do the same thing with all the positions we have competition at, to give them a fair shake,” Munchak said. “The reps are the same. The reps they’ve gotten are exact — they’ve got the exact same amount of reps; we’re rotating.”

Both quarterbacks looked sharp on Friday, with a lot of throws going to veteran wide receiver Nate Washington and rookie Kendall Wright, the first-round pick.

So what will coaches be looking for as they evaluate a 36-year-old veteran against a second-year pro who has seen action in only five games as a reliever?

“You have to take everything into account. We’re not just going to sit here and see how many balls he’s thrown and pick the guy who completed the most passes … or makes the biggest plays in the preseason games,” Munchak said. “It’s more the whole thing: what we’re seeing right now, the stuff that maybe the fans don’t get a chance to see, the stuff we’re seeing in the meeting rooms, on the field, every day in practice, the adjustments that are made at the line of scrimmage. …

“You know what? I feel so good about both of them that I’m not necessarily leaning either way on it. Either way for me, I’m going to have a very good quarterback playing.”

Center Eugene Amano said the players feel the same way.

“We can’t go wrong. Both of them are great guys and great football players, and are both capable starters in this league,” Amano said. “It will be interesting to see how it plays out.”

Full Article

the stuff we’re seeing in the meeting rooms, on the field, every day in practice, the adjustments that are made at the line of scrimmage. …

Hass would probably dominate most of those.

preseason game one, Hasselbeck got the start and played three drives (a little bit into the second quarter) then Locker took over for another three drives to get to the half, Locker looked a lot better than Hasselbeck IMO, here are the statlines:

Hasselbeck: 5/9 45 yards 0 tds 2 INTs 0 points

Locker: 7/13 80 yards 0 tds 0 ints 3 points

Matt always plays like dog shit on the road, but you'd think in Seattle it wouldn't feel like a road game. I was very dissapointed with Matt but Jake isn't quite there yet. There isn't any way they can make the choice based on tonight. Matt has played much better, and I don't think he's washed up. Also, Jakes recievers not holding onto the ball also really cost him.

I don't really see the Titans going anywhere this season, so I'm of the school of thought that they should give the kid some experience now. Hasselbeck doesn't make them a contender. He might not even make them better than they'd be with Locker starting, so I'd give Locker the nod.

I think it's better to let the team grow around "the future" than to build things and then possibly mess with the chemistry. Give him an extra year with the 1s.

• Upvote 1

Locker to start against Buccaneers on Friday

Posted on August 13, 2012 by JIM WYATT, The Tennessean

Jake Locker will be the starting quarterback for the Titans in their preseason game at Tampa Bay on Friday, coach Mike Munchak said after practice today. It will be Locker's first NFL start.

"It is a position he hasn't had a chance to be in yet, so you want to put him in that as well," Munchak said of Locker. "When you are a young man there's a lot of firsts, and this is just another one for him. So he'll get a chance to stay in the with the guys longer. … It should be a good test under a lot of duress of being on the road against a young team that wants to win games."

Via The Tennessean

I pretty much expected Locker to start the second game, Munchak has said all along that he plans to decide on the starter by preseason week 3 so I figured both would get a start in the first two weeks, but saying he'll get a chance to stay in with the guys longer does make me wonder if there's more to it, I guess we'll see if Locker gets substantially more than a quarter

I'm not sure why this is still a "competition". They drafted Locker for a reason. I understand the point they are trying to make with bringing him along slowly, but the time for him to take over is now. He sat for a year (I think he started what, 2 games?) behind Hasselbeck, learned, and now he needs to put it on the field.

From everything I've witnessed him do while I've watched games, he's more than capable of making all the throws an NFL quarterback needs to make. Not to mention he can make big plays happen on the ground when he gets in trouble too. Start the kid, let him learn by making his mistakes on the field. Who knows, maybe he wont make as many mistakes as people think.

I'm not sure why this is still a "competition". They drafted Locker for a reason. I understand the point they are trying to make with bringing him along slowly, but the time for him to take over is now. He sat for a year (I think he started what, 2 games?) behind Hasselbeck, learned, and now he needs to put it on the field.

From everything I've witnessed him do while I've watched games, he's more than capable of making all the throws an NFL quarterback needs to make. Not to mention he can make big plays happen on the ground when he gets in trouble too. Start the kid, let him learn by making his mistakes on the field. Who knows, maybe he wont make as many mistakes as people think.

Hasselbeck still has plenty of skill and there are a lot of intangibles that come from his experience. Hasselbeck started all 16 games last year (Locker played in 5 games, all in relief) and almost got us to the playoffs, which should at least be enough to prevent the coaches from simply taking the starting spot for him no matter who's in the wings. But the bottom line is this is a team that can win now with the right QB, which means we need to make sure we get the right QB in. I do think Locker probably has a slight edge right now, but I'm not seeing practices so I really don't know where the two stand.

This QB battle is something. Locker is the future of the franchise i mean hasselbeck is 37 and way beyond his career now "twilight". Locker's for the taking but the division is interesting to with Luck and the jags being so down, and the texans with highest achievements in their franchise history in playoffs for first time so the division is intriguing. Locker has the goods!!!!

Locker officially named the starting quaterback

The Tennessee Titans made a decision Monday on a starting quarterback for the regular season-opener against the New England Patriots and it will be Jake Locker, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network's Michael Lombardi.

Locker, the No. 8 overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, has been competing throughout this offseason with veteran Matt Hasselbeck, who had led the Titans to a 9-7 record in his first season in Nashville, Tenn., after spending the previous 10 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks.

In less than 100 plays in five games off the bench as a rookie, Locker completed 34 of 66 pass attempts for 542 yards with four touchdowns with eight carries for 56 yards and a touchdown.

Both quarterbacks have had shaky performances this preseason. Through two games, Locker has completed 11 of 24 pass attempts for 101 yards, while Hasselbeck is 9 of 14 for 74 yards with a pair of interceptions.

The Titans going with Locker does not come as a surprise. Of the first five quarterbacks taken in the 2011 draft, Locker was the only one who did not start a game as a rookie or have a starting job locked up at the start of this year's training camp. Locker is a more dynamic athlete than Hasselbeck and can make things happen when plays break down.

Last week, Hasselbeck acknowledged that eventually Locker would be the guy, telling the Seattle sports radio station, KJR-AM, that he was knew upon signing with the Titans after the lockout that the team was going to go at Locker's pace. When the rookie was ready, he'd be the guy.

It's yet to be seen if Locker is ready, but the Titans have decided they're not going to wait any longer.

UPDATE: A team source told Ian Rapoport on Monday that Locker is the Titans' hardest working player, someone the players look to. The move is expected to be popular in the locker room. The Titans' plan is to have Locker play roughly three quarters with the starters Thursday against the Arizona Cardinals, the first game in which the Titans will game plan for an opponent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000052160/article/report-titans-to-name-jake-locker-the-starting-quarterback?campaign=Twitter_atl_mcintyre