Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

Fans who are savvy regarding draft prospects

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to college football. Here are some names being linked to the Cowboys' draft board: Fletcher Cox, David DeCastro, Michael Brockers, Dontari Poe, Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron.

Can any Cowboys fans (I'm looking at you Phail and Mathias) or NFL/College fans give me some background info on their careers?

Google is your friend. :D

Sure, I usually go to BloggingTheBoys.com for all my Cowboys scouting info and things like that, they're great. I'll clip some stuff from their reports.

Cox's rise makes great sense when you study him more closely. For a man his size (6'4" 298), Cox boast impressive athleticism. This was on display at the Combine, where he ran a 4.79 forty, bench-pressed 225 pounds 30 times,and registered strong short shuttle (4.53) and 3-cone (a Combine-best 7.07) scores. On the field, this ability translates into superb initial quickness, lateral range and speed, which he uses to penetrate as well as to make plays outside the box. He's an exceptional interior pass rusher who uses his long, 34.5-inch arms and foot quickness get off blocks and attach the quarterback. At the same time, he has the strength to anchor against the run, and can shed blocks and make plays between the tackles.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/4/18/2955508/cowboys-2012-draft-prospects-mississippi-state-de-dt-fletcher-cox

The post-Combine narrative surrounding Brockers is that, with his middling workout numbers, he must be gifted but lazy. This isn't the case; scouts point out that he has an excellent work ethic in the weight room, exemplified both by his physique (even though he weighs 322 pounds, he looks lean) and his film: Brockers competes at a high level on every snap and, unlike most big defensive linemen, he does not become easily fatigued in game. According to one scout, Brockers possesses an "unmatched combination of size, athleticism, strength and youth."

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/4/17/2947677/dallas-cowboys-2012-draft-prospects-lsu-defensive-line-michael-brockers

Just a few, definitely check out the site sometime.:yep:

Google is your friend. :D

I did search Google - hence the names I shouted - but I hold my personal forum members' opinion a little closer than some blogger. So I figured I might as well ask, ya know?

Thanks, Mathias.

Edited by Maverick

Brockers would probably be a really good pick for the Cowboys, IMO.

Everything I've read has you guys taking Mark Barron. Apparently Jerry Jones is in love with him. He's a really good player. Good size, instincts, great versus the run, solid in coverage. Was recruited as a RB by some schools coming out of HS, so that gives you an idea of how athletic he is.

If DeCastro is there, you should jump all over him. He is the best guard prospect I can remember and Dallas needs interior offensive line help. But no way does Arizona pass on him so he probably won't be there.

Mark Barron would be a nice add for Dallas, just don't go for Dontari Poe. He has a lot of physical ability but didn't do much of anything at a small school playing against subpar competition.

If DeCastro is there, you should jump all over him. He is the best guard prospect I can remember and Dallas needs interior offensive line help. But no way does Arizona pass on him so he probably won't be there.

Mark Barron would be a nice add for Dallas, just don't go for Dontari Poe. He has a lot of physical ability but didn't do much of anything at a small school playing against subpar competition.

Have you watched his tape or are you talking out of your ass like everyone else on the internet that's trashing Poe?

Have you watched his tape or are you talking out of your ass like everyone else on the internet that's trashing Poe?

I don't have scouting tape, but from what I've seen, not overly impressed. He is very talented but just wasn't that dominant of a force at Memphis. Whoever takes him is gambling on his upside, not his college production.

That isn't to say he was worthles in college or anything either.

I have seen some of his tape and it was unimpressive, he was not even double teamed most of the time. It is the conference USA so a dominant lineman like Brockers would have ate that conference alive. Poe had a really good combine true, but nobody knew who he was before that and if they did they were not talking 2nd or 3rd round pick much less top 15.

I see Amobi Okeye written all over him.

Edited by Ngata_Chance