Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Ed Reed suggests he's not 'committed' to playing in 2012

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed is the new Brett Favre. Every year, he mentions retirement. But no one takes him too seriously.

The future Hall of Famer told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of Sirius XM NFL Radio on Thursday that he is not "100 percent committed" to playing football in 2012.

This would be more surprising if Reed didn't broach the subject so often. He admitted that he's considered retiring the last three years, and has said so publicly more than once.

Money is also an issue. Reed publicly pushed for a new contract as recently as late April on Baltimore radio, saying it was an issue of "respect." Reed is set to earn $7.2 million this year. Reed was asked if the Ravens know he isn't fully on board.

"I'm sure they will after this interview," Reed said.

Reed is still wildly talented and valuable, so his comments should concern the Ravens. In the end, they probably won't value these comments any more than the ones that Reed gave in March. Back then, he said he could play four to five more seasons.

Source: NFL.com

He can come to Cleveland and talk about retirement 6 times a year if he wants, as long as he plays at his level; it's all good to me.

What a faggot. I used to respect Reed, but he's being a little bitch. He cries about respect, but he doesn't respect his team enough to be fully committed to playing for them and hasn't for the last three years. Pussy ass bitch looking for one last big check.

• Upvote 2

Sayonara.

Ed Reed has always been a good safety, I don't see him playing for anyone but the Ravens unless he retires and then wants to come back, in which case I doubt the Ravens would re-sign him. Ravens defense will take a hit if he is also gone.

Dude is going to be 34 and had injury problems in 09 and 10. I really am not surprised at all that he considered retirement, and I don't think anyone else should be all that surprised either.

Not really sure why he has to make it so public, but after going through this with Brett, it makes it much easier to understand.

I love my Ravens but we need to start to PUBLICLY saying he is on the market. Maybe he will see how shitty it is when there is no loyalty there. And if not we can get a second for sure maybe a first for him. Either way I hope this is the last year he is a Raven this whiny ass dude needs to take his shit on the road. It has been every year for four years he has kept at least the fans wondering if he will be back or not. Way to give a shit Ed.

Later dick head.

Ed Reed came out again and said that he is ready to roll for many more seasons. lol

meh... Seems more to me like just Ed Reed being Ed Reed...

Yes which lately is a synonym for very talented douche.

Shut up, Reed. You were one of the main reasons I respect the Ravens, but if you're gonna do this to your team, get lost. They don't need any distractions.

Edited by BigBen07

meh... Seems more to me like just Ed Reed being Ed Reed...

This. He does this all the time. He likes to stir the pot. He'll be on the field in September.

Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2012, 7:13 AM EDT

Ed Reed needs to pick a horse.

Willing to send messages to the Ravens, he remains clearly uncomfortable with the obvious consequences of doing so.

Earlier this year, he mused about retirement. And when the media reacted to one of the greatest safeties of all time thinking about quitting, he backtracked quickly, presumably because he didn’t want to generate unwanted attention via a strategy he never planned to implement.

Now, after unexpectedly boycotting a mandatory minicamp and posting on Twitter what reasonably can be interpreted as a message that he may not show up for training camp, Reed doesn’t seem to appreciate the natural consequences of his words.

He complains in a stream of tweets about the reaction, griping for example that youth football camps conducted by players in the offseason don’t get the same kind of coverage.

Along the way, Reed sends another potent message to the team that he presumably thinks should give him a contract extension.

30u4bgn.jpg

Ross Tucker opened my eyes to the situation last month. When a player holds out, he’s acting no differently than the person who amassed millions if not billions via a capitalist system and then bought a pro football team. And so if a guy understands the potential cost of holding out while nevertheless being “under contract,” and if he’s good enough for the team to actually give a crap about his absence, we say go ahead and capitalize.

But it’s important for the person who plans the holdout to be firm and resolute. Reed apparently knows he can’t stay away from the sport, and so he comes off as wobbly when trying to make a stand.

That’s why the Ravens have been so low key about the situation. They know that if they let this thing play out naturally, he’ll show up — but that if they push him, maybe he’ll muster the willingness to stay home.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Attention:

FS looking for new employer.

Qualifications include:

Hall of Fame credentials

Still pretty talented.

Always injured

Always complaining

Always indecisive in the offseason

No team loyalty

Off season nightmare

Will not show up for team activities

Any takers?

Fuck this guy. People always say teams have no loyalty to players. Tell me how the Ravens have not been loyal to this douche. He is just an arrogant fuckwad.

Attention:

FS looking for new employer.

Qualifications include:

Hall of Fame credentials

Still pretty talented.

Always injured

Always complaining

Always indecisive in the offseason

No team loyalty

Off season nightmare

Will not show up for team activities

Any takers?

Fuck this guy. People always say teams have no loyalty to players. Tell me how the Ravens have not been loyal to this douche. He is just an arrogant fuckwad.

I appreciate your willingness to tell it like it is about the players on your own team, but at what point does, "We're nothing without these guys" come into effect?

I appreciate your willingness to tell it like it is about the players on your own team, but at what point does, "We're nothing without these guys" come into effect?

Give me 11 players who want to play the game of football for the love of the game and their teammates.

This guy wants to talk about this being business. Than use your head dumb ass, you are on the decline and you are often injured and a headcase. What does business say your worth ? You really think you get a long term deal with all those and then this commitment problem for the last 3 seasons.

The Ravens have always taken care of this guy and no one can say he they did not give him as much loyalty as any team has given any player during his time. Ravens fans donated money to his family when his brother died, we have waited outside the hospital for hiim during his surgerys, what else can a franchise do ? And then to pull this shit when you are considered by most the second most beloved guy in Raven History ? Thanks for the loyalty douche.

As to what we would be without him. Well we have survived without him for several games and our defense has done just fine. WE have got safeties who can step up if he shits the bed on us. And like I previously stated give me eleven guys who want to play for the sake of playing and for each other and I will take that teams FS over Ed Reed. Ray Lewis will never be touched because he doe snot do this shit and he plays for his team, it is clear Reed plays for money.

I just wish he would make up his mind. All this crap about him holding out is getting idiotic.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen expects the Ravens to let FS Ed Reed test free agency after this season.

Reed is entering the final year of his contract and will turn 34 in September. Mortensen doesn't expect the Ravens to slap him with the franchise tag, but that doesn't mean he'll be changing teams either. Baltimore once let Ray Lewis hit the open market before retaining him. Of course, this will all be a moot point if Reed decides to hang up the cleats. Jul 19 - 9:39 AM

Source: BaltimoreRavens.com

Entering a contract year, Ed Reed made it clear that he wants to continue to play for the Ravens beyond 2012.

"I know [GM] Ozzie [Newsome] and them know I want to be here," Reed said. "We will get that done when it's time to cross that bridge. I have a lot of respect for this organization ... And I know they have respect for me." Although Reed does not have an agent, he said contract talks with the Ravens have "already been there." This does not sound like a player considering retirement next offseason.

Source: BaltimoreRavens.com