Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

I have seen a little bit of Arrow and thought it was corny af. Flash looks even worse.

My buddy is a big Arrow and Flash fan and he keeps trying to get me to give at least Arrow a second chance. I think I am going to give in...

Due to grad school I decided I'd wait until I'm on break to binge watch all the shows I normally watch so Idk anything going on in any show involving superheroes (hence why I never frequent this thread anymore)...

But, this is my biggest criticism of The Flash, and the reason why even though it's entertaining, it's nowhere near as good as some people make it out to be. It's mad corny. That high school shit on Arrow (at least from season 3) is/was quadrupled in The Flash.

Sorry Dmac, Dawn of Justice is gonna be terrible.

Yeah I am not even considering giving Flash a chance, but Arrow...most likely...we'll see...

I've got six episodes left in S1/3 (six episodes of each and I'm into the current seasons) I'm really enjoying both, I'll use spoilers since it looks like there are some that are debating watching:

Oliver is debating the offer to take over as Ra's, the more I think about it the more I like the idea, I hope that's not a send Oliver off the show because I've really liked where the character has gone, but it'd be awesome to see him leading the League and giving the League a more prominent role

I'm enjoying Flash, but I definitely still think Arrow is better (though that may change if ATOM takes over Arrow, I really hope that's not where they're going) the last episode I watched was the Trickster episode, which was awesome, and this is by far the best moment of the series so far:

I lost it

FLASH > ARROW not even close. BucD please do yourself a favor and watch Flash to balance out any viewing of the Arrow.

Ferve :pls: that crossover was just both shows blended together. Neither one got any "treatment" they were the same both episodes tone-wise.

Also...SteVo :pls:

Edited by butta54

FLASH > ARROW not even close. BucD please do yourself a favor and watch Flash to balance out any viewing of the Arrow.

Ferve :pls: that crossover was just both shows blended together. Neither one got any "treatment" they were the same both episodes tone-wise.

Also...SteVo :pls:

Ya, they were blended but the tone and ambiance of the episodes were definitely Arrow tilted. The episodes weren't corn-fests like every single Flash episode. Compared to those, it was a bit darker, more serious, and it had more edge.

It helped Flash out a lot.... They need to consider just sticking with that, IMO.

Flash is a corn-fest because the main character doesn't walk around looking depressed every episode and runs into fights without thinking because he has a death wish??

There is absolutely no weight on Arrow and the acting isn't even comparable. I get it is up to your taste, but when people like Ferve sit here and say Flash is too corny and campy all the time, then turn around and complain Barry is always sad and emo about stuff it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for fans who just want to hate this show.

Only one that really is campy is Cisco because of his nerdiness but that serves as a device to connect to the nerd audience and he is a star because of it. Other than that I'm not sure where everyone gets the idea that they act cheesy ALL the time. If you talk crap about the "jokey" Flash then I know you haven't seen Zoom or you just want to hate. Flash is the best blend of everything you want in a superhero show IMO.

If that's your opinion... It's the wrong one to have. :troll:

Flash is undoubtedly just over the top in everything it does.Some people like the camp factor and that's cool. But don't deny what it is.

And the way you described Flash as not being is exactly what Flash is.... The main character doesn't walk around depressed? Really? You sure about that? All he does is whine and moan. He doesn't run into fights without thinking? Barry consistently has rushed into fights because of his overwhelming feeling of responsibility to protect people. Even when people around him are all like, "ya, maybe you should't do that" he still does it anyway and gets his ass beat down. lol

Flash is the best blend of everything ? I can tell you aren't much into superhero television shows. Ha

I'm confused I didn't say he doesn't walk around depressed or anything. I said you complain about that while also complaining that its too corny and jokey. Again just complaining in circles.

You've seen the first season so no use in acting like Barry has always been this. He was very upbeat and light in the first season. The second season he has been more emo and if you watch the show we know why that is. His personality has changed with the situations and has given Cisco more room to shine so I don't mind. I like upbeat Barry more, but it serves the story for him to be this way.

Oliver has no excuse. He has been like this the whole time...for no reason. Even when he was "happy" with Felicity for 5min in the first episode of the season it was so fake. I like how we say Arrow vs Green Arrow and the differences....he has been the saaaame dude the entire time. Acting the same way about everything. Only difference is he isn't killing people. Barry may run into fights as a young and eager hero to help people. Oliver runs into stuff cause he is stubborn and likes to fight.

Flash has great acting from Jesse L. Martin and Tom Cavanagh. Even to some extent Teddy Sears has been great as Jay Garrick. Great comedic relief with Cisco. Great rouge gallery that comes with the character. Good overall story. And great effects. And puts in emotionally heavy scenes now and then when needed so its not always funny campy comic stuff. Flash does have the best blend of everything IMO.

Yes you did.

Flash is a corn-fest because the main character doesn't walk around looking depressed every episode and runs into fights without thinking because he has a death wish??

Upbeat and light hearted? Ya... he was. Incredibly campy.

Oliver has no excuse to be dark, hardened, and emotional?

Like... apart from the fact that he was shipwrecked... watched his father commit suicide....was thought to be dead for years with no communication with anyone he loved... or maybe apart from his best friend being killed thinking Oli was a terrible person... or from witnessing his mother's murder... or that his sister killed his friend and former lover... or maybe that he actually died himself and was resurrected.

Ya, Oliver has no reason to be depressed, conflicted, dark, emotional, etc, etc. He's gone through more than Barry could ever imagine. And you not understanding or acknowledging the character arc that Oliver has taken and how he has changed proves your daftness.

What Flash doesn't have is a main character ... Flash (the person, not the show) gets carried by the good acting and stories around him. It's great that they have the supporting cast that they do because without them, there is no show. This show would be more accurate if ti was called Flash's Friends.

Supergirl's Hank Henshaw has been revealed as Martian Manhunter.

• Upvote 1

I don't watch Flash or Arrow anymore but want to watch LOT. Can someone explain to me all that's gone down in both to catch me up to speed with Legends? Would appreciate it.

I don't watch Flash or Arrow anymore but want to watch LOT. Can someone explain to me all that's gone down in both to catch me up to speed with Legends? Would appreciate it.

:pls:

This week's Flash was awesome. Fuggin love Mark Hamill. Though I don't think the 'science' behind the bombs completely added up.

Agents of Shield was crazy. Still have no idea what 'It' is, but I loved the way it played out at the end. The thing I love about AoS is that every character is great. They're all great pieces with their own interesting stories, and at least in my opinion from an acting standpoint they're a cut above the actors on the CW shows. I was getting some legit tears welling up when the crew got back to the plane. Fitz and Simmons :wub:

Supergirl's Hank Henshaw has been revealed as Martian Manhunter.

I think this was basically the hook I needed to keep me watching Supergirl

not necessarily Manhunter, but I wanted to see where they were going with Henshaw, if it went a weird direction I'd be out pretty quick, but I'm excited to see where they go with this, how long until Kara knows and if he stays incognito generally

Agents of Shield was also amazing this week, I actually watched this week's episode twice

I needed to see how much of Ward to expect to remain, but it looks like the alien parasite at least retains memories because 'Will' knew Fitz without any prompting, I'm not sure it's gonna be the same Ward we've grown accustomed to, but they can get away with minimal character change, especially with the influence Malik has had recently

it's gonna be tough to wait until March for that to kick back up

I also finished Arrow and Flash Season 3/1, ready to start the current seasons (which are on my DVR) I'm really not happy with how either left things, but I'm interested to see how the current seasons continue the stories

the time travel in Flash is almost too much, and shouldn't Eddie killing himself have nullified the entire story line? as for Arrow, I really don't like Palmer, not sure what it is, but the character just grates on me and it feels like he's becoming the focal character, the scene with Oliver controlling the suit as Palmer fought felt like a passing of the torch moment and then the season ends with Oliver riding off into the sunset, I'm not sure I can handle a show focused on Atom

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

It's crazy how much better AoS is now compared to the first season.

Finally finished Jessica Jones. Pretty damn good show, not as good as Daredevil but it's kind of funny how the Marvel Netflix villains may actually be better than the film ones.

• Upvote 2

it's kind of funny how the Marvel Netflix villains may actually be better than the film ones.

MAY ACTUALLY BE BETTER???

I also finished Arrow and Flash Season 3/1, ready to start the current seasons (which are on my DVR) I'm really not happy with how either left things, but I'm interested to see how the current seasons continue the stories

the time travel in Flash is almost too much, and shouldn't Eddie killing himself have nullified the entire story line? as for Arrow, I really don't like Palmer, not sure what it is, but the character just grates on me and it feels like he's becoming the focal character, the scene with Oliver controlling the suit as Palmer fought felt like a passing of the torch moment and then the season ends with Oliver riding off into the sunset, I'm not sure I can handle a show focused on Atom

watched episode one of the current season of both, looks like my concerns were largely unfounded

I apparently didn't notice the size of the explosion Palmer caused at the end of Season 3 of Arrow, I kinda zone out during Palmer's scenes, and I didn't really expect them to roll for too long without the title character, but they really didn't waste any time bringing Oliver back into the fold, and Neal McDonough is a fantastic villain, so that has me pretty excited, I'm definitely enjoying Flash, but not as much as I thought I would, probably because time travel always screws things up, I think the most interesting thing going on in that show right now is Cisco and figuring out what his visions are, it seems like it has something to do with the time travel and seeing different timelines? I guess that could be cool, I still don't see how Eddie killing himself didn't completely nullify everything that had happened, but that's one of the most common time paradoxes, I'm not sure if I want them to try to explain it (and likely fail) or just ignore it