Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Fred Taylor will enter the Jaguars ring of honor

Posted by Josh Alper on June 7, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT

The Jaguars took a break from dealing with Justin Blackmon fallout Thursday to make a happier announcement.

Retired running back Fred Taylor, the franchise’s all-time leader in rushing yards (and 15th in NFL history), will be honored before the September 30th game against the Bengals. Taylor will become the second player enshrined in the Pride of the Jaguars, the team’s ring of honor. Tackle Tony Boselli is the other player and former owner Wayne Weaver and his wife have also been so honored.

“While I am new to Jacksonville and the Jaguars, I fully understand that Fred Taylor is a Jaguars icon and one of the greatest Jaguars players ever,” said Jaguars Owner Shahid Khan in a statement from the team. “Fred has earned his place in the Pride of the Jaguars, both with his record-setting performances on the field as well as with his involvement in the Jacksonville community throughout his career. That’s what I hear from Jaguars fans, and that’s what I’ve personally seen as well. There are a lot of reasons that Fred remains one of the most popular players to wear the Jaguars uniform, and I’m pleased to announce that we will recognize him this fall.”

At a Thursday press conference, Taylor said, via Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union, that he has no regrets when he looks back on his career. That doesn’t quite fit with his involvement in the lawsuits by former players seeking compensation from the NFL for concussions they received during their playing days. Based on that, it would seem Taylor regrets not knowing more about concussions.

As for the rest of it, not much to regret about 11,695 rushing yards, 74 career touchdowns and a place as one of the first great players in Jaguars history.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

At this point Freddy T is the greatest player in franchise history. Good job by the Jags to get this done.

Step one: induction into the Pride of the Jaguars complete. Moving on to step two: induction into the Pro football HoF.

At this point Freddy T is the greatest player in franchise history. Good job by the Jags to get this done.

Jimmy Smith gives him some competition, IMO, but either way, he's #1 or #2.

Loved Freddy T, though.

This guy was so damn good, and to be completely honest, he was underrated. I do not recall him ever being in the mentioning for best back in the league, when in fact he was easily one of the most dominant running backs when healthy. He was an absolute freight train out there during their post-season run that nearly upset the Patriots in their 18-1 season. It's just too bad they couldn't get a few more years out of that Taylor/MJD combo.

Also, between those two, I prefer Freddie. Anybody else?

The Jags have had good players? Tony Boselli, Johncus Strouderson... Mark Brunell?

The Jags have had good players? Tony Boselli, Johncus Strouderson... Mark Brunell?

You're forgetting the greatest player in NFL history.

Matt Fucking Jones.

4a21f2f3d47b9443fec31b52532ec5e9.jpg

Not just anybody can rock a 'stache like that.

I think I can actually see the coke in Matt Jones' stache lol

Well done jags....great move on your part :thumbup2:

Fred Taylor was a beast. Well deserved.

Step one: induction into the Pride of the Jaguars complete. Moving on to step two: induction into the Pro football HoF.

He should be at the head of the table as far as I'm concerned. AirMcNair was right to throw the name Jimmy Smith out there too. Both of those guys remain VASTLY overrated, if not largely forgotten.

Still, HOF... I just don't know about that. If he could have stayed healthy and then not had to split carries at the end, there's not doubt in my mind that he'd have the numbers to back up his case. I just don't think his body of work backs it up, and he never had the prolific years like Sayers and Terrell Davis did-I think TD should get in, you see. He ranks in the top 20 in only rushing yards (15.) Everything else, he's on the outside looking in.

Fred Taylor had one season where he was top 10 in rushing. Not a hall of famer.

Fred Taylor had one season where he was top 10 in rushing. Not a hall of famer.

He was top ten 6 times and is currently 15th all time, so there is a case to be made for why he MIGHT be worthy, but I still think he falls just short...

Yeah, the injuries definitely don't help, and I disagree about the splitting carries. His last two years with the Jags when MJD first arrived saw him post his highest YPC of his career and helped keep him healthy, which he never was again after he left the Jags.

The only players who have more yards than him that aren't in (who are currently retired) are Jerome Bettis and Edgerrin James. And there are only a handful of RBs in the HoF who had a better career YPC than he did (4.6).

Yeah, pro football reference ranks rbs by attempts, not yards. My b.

Regardless, I still don't consider him a hall of famer. He wasn't ever a top running back, just a very good one for a long while.

Fred Taylor won't be in the HOF. He was a great player, but not HOF worthy. He is no doubt the best player in Jaguar history so this honor is well deserved.

Well deserved. Always enjoyed watching him play. Like many said if he had some better luck with injuries we could be talking about a HOF career but I'm not sure I see it unfortunately. But in my opinion the best Jag so far in their short franchise history.