SteVo

Top 50 Films of the 21st Century (to Date)

Guest Phailadelphia

It's basically a John Grisham story on steroids.

That's right up my alley. I love me some Grisham.

That's right up my alley. I love me some Grisham.

Then you'll love Michael Clayton. Got everything a Grisham story would have and then some, with top-notch acting across the board.

Guest Phailadelphia

Just finished downloading it. Can't wait to get a minute to watch it.

Every time I hear about the movie Michael Clayton, it just reminds me of the money grabbing (that is the only thing he could grab) asshole WR for the Bucs lol. I probably couldn't watch that movie without throwing up every time his name is mentioned.

Michael Clayton is one of my favorite movies of ALL TIME, not just the last 12 years. Surprised it's so low... I am afraid we are going to be disappointed when the Top 10 comes, but I will reserve judgement. lol

Gone_baby_gone_poster.jpg

"An American movie of genuine moral complexity."

–Jim Ridley, Village Voice

Child abductions are horrible tragedies that compel empathy from all of us, whether we have had children or not. Gone Baby Gone (2007), Ben Affleck’s directorial debut, uses a child abduction to draw us into its story emotionally, keeps us mesmerized with its intricate plot and intriguing characters, and asks us impossibly challenging moral questions without clear answers.

This film is not just an abduction thriller; its story raises heavy questions with its audience that resonate in an inescapable way. We wonder how often police should compromise their morals if they have good intentions—and to what extent. It is remarkable how (and I will be careful not to reveal too much here) the initial question of "Who could possibly abduct a four-year-old child?" slowly evolves into a much deeper and more profound investigation.

Then, finally, when all the mystery is gone and Amanda’s true fate has been revealed, Patrick is forced to make a mind-blowing decision, with life-changing consequences looming on either side. And just in case we agree with the decision Patrick ultimately makes, the film’s final line of dialogue makes us question whether he should have chosen the other option. This film is an emotional punch to the stomach.

Gone Baby Gone was adapted from a novel written by Dennis Lehane, and given the grand scale of the plot, it makes sense that this story originally came from a book. But the story manages to balance itself on the screen thanks to two things. One is the combination of fantastic performances delivered by the well-rounded cast; the other is Ben Affleck’s direction. A native of the Boston area, Affleck lends an air of authenticity to the film, and aside from being undeniably gritty, it is incredibly refreshing. Too often, I feel, we get caught up in plot and characters in movies, forgetting how important setting can be to a story. Affleck reminds us that a strong setting, when done right as it is here, can be just as powerful.

50) George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luck

49) Greg Mottola's Superbad

48) Terry George's Hotel Rwanda

47) David O. Russell's The Fighter

46) Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon

45) Edward Zwick's Blood Diamond

44) Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins

43) Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder

42) James Mangold's Walk the Line

41) Christopher Nolan's The Prestige

40) Peter Jackson's King Kong

39) Nicholas Stoller's Forgetting Sarah Marshall

38) Judd Apatow's Knocked Up

37) Peter Berg's Friday Night Lights

36) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

35) Jonathan Levine's 50/50

34) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

33) David Fincher's Zodiac

32) M. Night Shyamalan's Signs

31) Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive

30) James McTeigue's V for Vendetta

29) Ridley Scott's American Gangster

28) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

26) Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds

25) Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker

24) Ridley Scott's Gladiator

23) Paul Haggis's Crash

22) Tony Gilroy's Michael Clayton

21) Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone

Guest Phailadelphia

Oh man the ending of Michael Clayton was great.

• Upvote 2

For all the shit Affleck gets as an actor, he's one hell of a director. I think you should have another of Affleck's films on here. >_> <_>

The Town.

For all the shit Affleck gets as an actor, he's one hell of a director. I think you should have another of Affleck's films on here. >_> <_<

The Town.

Another fantastic film. Didn't miss this list by much. Affleck knows how to direct Boston-based films.

Edited by SteVo

Milkposter08.jpg

"One of the most heartfelt portraits of a politician ever made."

–David Edelstein, New York Movies

The Civil Rights Movement gained steam in America in the 1960’s with the rise of popular leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. and a president who prioritized civil rights. This movement was broad and diverse, and homosexuals were part of it, not least of all in San Francisco in the 1970’s, when a man named Harvey Milk became America’s first openly gay man elected to public office. Milk (2008) is a biographical film about that man, focusing on the last eight years of his life.

The film is framed by a recurring scene in 1978 where Harvey records the story of his career, which is then told through a series of flashbacks. This allows us to get commentary from Harvey based on the historical events we see. Consequently, we get a true feel for the character of Harvey Milk. In terms of getting audiences to identify with a protagonist of a biographical film, Milk does it better than most. The film is, however, very simple in structure and far from groundbreaking. But director Gus Van Sant deserves credit for not over-making the film, letting Milk’s story tell itself.

The true strength of Milk, however, is undoubtedly the powerhouse performance delivered by Sean Penn. He is one of Hollywood’s greatest actors, and here he gives one of the century’s greatest performances. We have seen actors anchor films with mesmerizing lead performances, but Penn does this to an incredible degree, capturing the spirit of the film and centering it on his character.

Ultimately, Milk succeeds because it captures the spirit of both the Gay Rights Movement and Harvey Milk. Centered on Penn's iconic performance, Milk invites us into Harvey's struggles and may leave even the most conservative audiences feeling a little empathy for its title character, if not for its message.

23) Paul Haggis's Crash

20) Gus Van Sant's Milk

Gone baby gone is fantastic

• Upvote 1

Dark_Knight.jpg

"An ambitious, full-bodied crime epic of gratifying scope and moral complexity."

–Justin Chang, Variety

After Batman Begins (2005) saw the fictional world of Bruce Wayne, Batman, and Gotham City return to the big screen with great success, writer/director Christopher Nolan revisited his adaptation of Batman’s story with a sequel that was darker, faster, more entertaining, complex in new ways, and ultimately superior to its predecessor.

The film does a good job to make sure a legendary character like The Joker is given justice, and Heath Ledger’s performance is nothing short of iconic. In the hands of a gifted screenwriter like Nolan, Ledger has plenty of great dialogue to work with, and he delivers; the film’s best lines are his. From his screechy voice and maniacal laugh to more subtle details like constantly licking his lips, Ledger captures the soul of a movie villain in the way few performances have.

An impressive feat for this film is that it somehow manages not to center around The Joker and Ledger’s performance. The story is highly diverse, and The Joker’s threats on Gotham involve many parties, including powerful mob figures and corrupt businessmen. Supporting characters do not just fill space; they take importance. By achieving such depth, The Dark Knight succeeds not just as a comic book adaptation, but also as a rich crime drama. In some ways it feels like a comic-based, 21st century version of Michael Mann’s Heat (1995), one of my all-time favorite films.

Still, the film's frantic pace is its own weakness, in some ways. By rushing from one climax to another, the film is robbed of any firm structure and, though this is definitely deliberate (a film dominated by The Joker should be anything but ordered), the film’s chaotic pace prevents any one climax from being much greater than the previous one, and for all its action, the film builds up a surprisingly small amount of tension along the way.

Nevertheless, The Dark Knight still leaves a lasting impact on its audience. Viewers who underestimate the film are sure to be surprised, and for all its chaos, this is a rare achievement in action/blockbuster films where, by the time the credits start rolling, we may be catching our breath, but we still want more.

23) Paul Haggis's Crash

20) Gus Van Sant's Milk

19) Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight

I like that slot for Batman. I was worried that was gonna be near the top of the list. Perfect spot for it IMO. And I completely agree with your analysis on it.

Dark Knight should be top 10 imo. One of the best movies ever but i know critics judge movies different. Normally some boring ass movie is always a winner for a grammy or something.

The Dark Knight is the greatest movie OF ALL TIME!!!!

/kanye

Dark Knight should be top 10 imo. One of the best movies ever but i know critics judge movies different. Normally some boring ass movie is always a winner for a grammy or something.

My thoughts exactly. lmao.

Only movie I haven't seen in the 20s is The Hurt Locker. I got a lot more movie experience then I thought...

Guest Phailadelphia

My thoughts exactly. lmao.

Only movie I haven't seen in the 20s is The Hurt Locker. I got a lot more movie experience then I thought...

You should definitely get on that. The Hurt Locker was a great movie.

Only movie I haven't seen up to this point is "Milk"... Don't really plan on it, either. :p

Only movies on the list I've seen:

-Superbad

-Batman Begins

-King Kong

-The LOTR movies

-Gladiator

-The Dark Knight

I've also seen parts of Tropic Thunder, but I haven't seen enough.

A lot of these movies, I think, are ones people SHOULD see. They are all, for the most part, worth your time and deserve to be seen.

So if you ever find yourself at home, bored or whatever... Check one of these out.

• Upvote 1

Out of the 30 or so movies we've done, I haven't seen like 5-6

Edited by Barracuda

sideways_verdvd.jpg

"A movie that finds universal appeal in the various urges and

dilemmas of its characters while avoiding most road-movie clichés."

–Peter Howell, Toronto Star

Films can influence our lives in strange ways. They can make us want to visit a certain area, make us want to change our lives in a certain way, or simply make us want to drink a certain wine. In the case of Sideways (2004), all three apply; the area is wine country, the change is to find a way to counter aging, and the wine of choice is pinot noir.

This is a film about two men in a mid-life crisis, which might seem like a drama, but genre should not be confused here. A film with a heart is not automatically a drama. Sideways is a comedy, and it is one of the century’s best in that regard. Typical of writer/director Alexander Payne, it is a true human comedy where the humor provokes as much insight as it does laughter. There is, however, at least one scene guaranteed to have you hysterical with laughter.

This genre blending is business as usual for Payne, a naturally gifted filmmaker, who employed a similar technique with About Schmidt (2002). He adapted the Oscar-winning screenplay for Sideways from Rex Pickett’s novel of the same name, and while Pickett deserves some credit for creating the characters on the pages of a book, Payne knows exactly how to construct them on the screen, and the result is brilliant. In Sideways, Payne creates some of the most well defined film characters you will find.

Some viewers may find the film slow, and perhaps it is so; it is character-driven, not plot-driven. But Payne makes sure the pace is consistently slow, not rushing any details at any one point, resulting in a well-paced comedy. And while not all viewers will be able to relate to two forty-something guys like Miles and Jack, the themes of a mid-life crisis and the way the film explores them are diverse enough to interest many viewers.

"Sideways" is an appropriate title for several reasons. Aside from the fact that the characters’ lives essentially turn sideways during their week in wine country, remember that wine is placed sideways on a rack while it ages. And while wine is certainly a big part of Sideways, the film is not about aging wine; it is about aging people, wondering when and if they will hit their peak. Like a great bottle of wine, this is the type of film that will improve with age. Buy it, let it sit on a shelf somewhere, open it up in a couple years, and enjoy.

23) Paul Haggis's Crash

20) Gus Van Sant's Milk

19) Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight

18) Alexander Payne's Sideways

16/33 so far. I don't think I'm going to make it to half by the time this is done.

Apparently I need to get on my game, I haven't seen Michael Clayton, Gone Baby Gone, Milk, or Sideways. I never have enough time to watch movies between football and school. Usually just a tv show or two.