Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Predicting the Elite: Pass Defense

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the pass defense in the NFL?

• Steelers
    • Ravens
    • Jets
    • Seahawks
    • Chiefs
    • Texans
    • Eagles
    • Bengals
    • Jaguars
    • Browns
    • Other (Specify)

Saw this thread(s) on another board and thought it would provide some good discussion as we're in the most dead part of the NFL off-season. 10 teams will be picked based off stats last year and current players, and there will be an option for other. If you choose other, please specify what team you chose by posting in this thread.

Who has the pass defense in the NFL?

With the additions of Laron Landry and Yerimiah Bell, I think I am going to go with the Jets. Last year, Eric Smith really brought them down, but Landry/Bell is a huge upgrade over him and solidifies their secondary.

The Jets, for sure. One great CB, a very good CB, and a young developing CB to pair with them new safeties? Give me NYJ.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Dallas has the best pass defense in the NFC this year. After years of either mediocrity or incompetence, we finally see a major improvement.

Seattle for days. One of the best safeties in the league in ET, another pro bowler and a BEAST in Kam Chancellor right beside him at SS. Biggest CBs in the league who can press like a mofucka and play man, just have to cut back on the penalties... both who were only in their first year. Browner made the pro bowl, Sherman should have, and probably will this year. With the added pass rush of Jason Jones and Bruce Irvin, gonna be even more picks this year.

there are some things to add when discussing a secondary, most notably the effects of a pass rush speeding up the play, and reducing the amount of time CB/DB has to cover....

so IMO--if the jets had a pass rush, by way of pure talent at CB they would be the winners hands down...they did draft a guy, and the jury is still out--we will see..

however, steelers ranked there last year #1 overall..sure, the broncos and timmy tebow got them, but that was more due to 2 things...

"hey tebow, pull the trigger--in other words, if they are in man to man coverage without safety help, overthrow the WR and let him make a play on the ball"...

worked...what 10-11 passes for over 300 yards?..and dick lebeau, not adjusting at all to this in any playcalling, and that is--predictable, and the broncos knew what plays to call, even though tebow hit wrs in the feet on every pass that wasn't an airball, until the pass in overtime..now that one--he finally hit one in stride....thanks, hope the jets shave your head like a friar again...

LOL!..offtopic huh?..yeah, steelers mostly due to the pass rush, they show that using later picks and premium picks on pass rushers (OLB) in their system does work fine, as long as the defense remains unpredictable, which the lebeau 3/4 zone blitz scheme is supposed to be....NT drops into coverage at times....

but if the jets get a pass rush going and rank top 10 in sacks again--then i will concede that they have the best defense as far as coverage goes, but I will say they IMO have the best CBs in the game, and they should with pats in that division...

Maybe their entire defense is overrated as a whole, but the Jets have easily had one of the best pass defenses in the NFL over the course of the last 3 years. Their personal doesn't really matter, the defense still plays at a high level against the pass regardless of who they've had.

Seeing as they have been one of the most consistently good pass defenses over the last 3 years, I fail to see how saying they will be this year is farfetched.

Already predicted Houston to have the best defense, so I think they'll have a great pass defense this year as well.

The Jets need to improve their pass rush to help the pass defense out. I'll go with the Texans again.

• Upvote 1

I would say Steelers then Jets

Edited by Plax 4 Prez

Ya, most of you guys are looking at the secondaries and from there determining who is going to have the best pass defense.

One key thing that MUST be considered when trying to figure out who will have the best pass defense, as BradyFan pointed out, is the vaunted pass RUSH.

It's much easier for defenses to play good pass D and coverage when you have a great pass rush and are consistently getting to the QB. If you let the QB sit there all the time and don't get pressure, even the best DBs are going to get torn up more than they should.

I'm seriously not trying to be a homer, but to put the Jets and Browns up there as options and completely leave out the Giants when they have a nascar package that has 4 DE's out there at one time, or just JPP, Tuck, Canty, and Joseph is not understandable, but out of those choices I pick the Steelers, then Ravens. Lol, some of those choices are pretty comical. The Jags couldn't stop any team last year in the games I was forced to see by my ex, lmao

1274465753023.gif

1274465753023.gif

Lmao, I thought the thread was about rush defense, lmmfao :p My dumb ass needs glasses, lmao. I edited my choice up above though, haha.

Edited by Plax 4 Prez

I'll take the Bills for 500. No good pass offenses in their division, and they have some sick safeties to pair with an awesome defensive line.

(Yeah because the Patriots are totally good at offense.)

This was tough. I'm gonna go with Pittsburgh. They had the best pass D last year, and as of right now I see no reason that will change. Baltimore could also be in here, Lardarius Webb is a top-10 corner, and they have Jimmy Smith on the other side, along with a very good pass rush.

But I'll give the slight edge to Pitt atm.

I am going ravens here (yeah big shocker i know). That said though there are a couple of reasons.

Lardarius Webb could very well be a top 5 corner and definitely top 10, so that is a pretty good start. And also considering his hands I like him as well because he deflects it well but his ability to pick you off is as good as anybody's in the league and he has the speed to take it to the house.

Jimmy Smith. If he lives up to his potential than the sky is the limit, looking at him on tape there were only a handful of receivers that were bigger than he was. He is also fast for anybody but especially his size and watching him at some of the camps open to the fans he is considerably leaner. He has been working the hell out of his one handed punch and he is going to be a nightmare in press coverage. I see guy like C MAC and Aso when I look at him, now if it ever comes to fruition we will see.

Bernard Pollard. Everybody was down on him when we got him from the Texans and all he did was make play and outplay Dawan Landry. Schematically he is perfect for the Ravens. He is not Troy Polamalu because there is only one of him, but Pollard plays the same Role almost put him and the box and only put him in coverage when necessary. He is our perfect safety compliment.

Ed Reed. Well Ed is Ed. As a person I have lost a lot of respect for the guy with his incessant whining and Favre watch behavior recently, but that is as a person. As a Player he is the best safety in the league.

I'll take the Bills for 500. No good pass offenses in their division, and they have some sick safeties to pair with an awesome defensive line.

(Yeah because the Patriots are totally good at offense.)

Although I agree with good safety and line play coming from the Bills they just don't have the corners to be considered the best right now I think. McGee is their #1 and he shouldn't be a #1. McKelvin BLOWS and Gilmore is a rookie so how much can you expect?

When I opened this thread I saw a lot of people say the Jets. If we were talking JUST secondary than yeah I could see us #1 but pass defense also includes pass rush (at least to me) which was....pretty bad last year at least to me. We have the secondary for it but not the rush.

That's why I'm going to go with the Steelers. Great combination of a good rush AND good talent back in the secondary.

Edited by JetsFan4Life