Bay

NHL off-season

The 50/50 proposal is a step in the right direction, but I'm still not convinced it'll work. I think it's mostly just a ploy by the owners to win the PR battle. Remember, the players got 57% of revenue last lockout, but they had their salaries rolled back by almost 30%. I'm curious to see how the numbers add up this time. Regardless, though, I hope we get to see hockey soon.

I also wouldn't be against a 50ish-game season starting in December, similar to what happened with the NBA, because hockey is a long season as it is. I fear, however, that if they don't meet this new deadline, we could be looking at a longer wait.

I'm sorry, but this lockout is total bullshit. 3.3 billion in revenue and the league can't divide it?

4 work stoppages in 20 years... I won't be watching a single game this season, or the next if the 2012-13 season is cancelled. Bettman and the owners have pissed me off for the last time.

The sad part is that MLB hasn't had a work stoppage since 1994, and yet they don't have a salary cap of any type. Meanwhile, the NHL, NFL, and NBA have had at least one since they instituted a cap system.

Edited by BigBen07

Some recent news:

Although the Winter Classic isn't scheduled to be played until Jan. 1, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman warned that the cancellation date for it is "rapidly approaching."

The Winter Classic obviously takes more preparation than a normal game, so that might factor into when it's canceled. "Under these circumstances and uncertainty, we're not going to commit millions of dollars if we don't think we're playing," Bettman said. "The Winter Classic time frame, in terms of making that decision, is rapidly approaching." CBA talks broke down on Thursday, but it's possible that the two sides will get back together soon and hammer out a new CBA. Losing the Winter Classic would be devastating for the NHL given that it's become the most popular single regular season event.

Nicklas Backstrom has reportedly agreed to join Dynamo Moscow of the KHL, according to Swedish news outlet SVT Sport.

The report stated that Backstrom was persuaded to play there by Washington teammate Alex Ovechkin, who has skated in 11 games with the KHL squad already. The timing of the move is odd considering that negotiations for a new CBA are expected to heat up.

Jonathan Toews said the NHL's latest offer is "something," but he isn't excited by it.

"As long as they don't think it's like their final, drastic attempt to salvage an 82-game season," Toews said.

"If they were that desperate to conserve an 82-game season and get things done, this would have been done already. There's no real effort there." Toews implied that the NHL's latest offer - which would give the players a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues - was more a PR maneuver than a genuine attempt to end the lockout. The NHL's offer did close the gap between the players and owners, but it's clear that we're not out of the woods yet.

Patrick Kane was on the brink of signing in Europe, but he has decided to stick in the United States for now.

We can only hope his stay is permanent as that will likely mean the season was saved. "Yeah, I would say I was close maybe a week or two ago to going over," Kane said."But it was just kind of wait for the right situation and things like that. You hear about this game and you hear the negotiations are going better and you don’t want to make any rush to get over there and have to come back in a couple weeks. We’ll see what happens with the negotiations." Kane will participate in the Blackhaws' charity game next week.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644323 no NHL in November and no more hope of an 82 game season, at this point over a quarter of the season has been cancelled (from that article: A total of 326 regular-season games – 26.5 percent of the season -- were scheduled for Oct. 11 through Nov. 30) and it sounds like they'll have to cancel the Winter Classic if nothing is done by the end of the week

Also, some interesting commentary from Ryan Miller:

"I think that a deal is there to be made and recent events lead me to believe the NHL is simply testing us. After they have satisfied their curiosity about the strength of our resolve we will have real negotiating for the first time in this whole debacle. The two sides are close enough to a deal that missing the bulk of a season is wrong and missing an entire season is not only insane, it is a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans and the culture we have grown over decades -- just to satisfy egos, not the needs of either side."

ESPN

this seems to be the patter with every sports labor dispute, both sides try to win the PR battle before they'll sit down and discuss the real issues and by the time they actually get to discussing the real issues the fans hate everyone involved

Winter Classic got cancelled today. Might as well cancel the season, too. Neither side really seems to give a fuck about getting a deal done. Months ago, I was expecting the NHL to start the season in Decemeber most likely, but I don't know, this feels pretty hopeless at this point.

the problem the NHL faces that the other leagues don't is that players actually have a viable alternative, players in the KHL and other foreign leagues actually make decent money, and when you factor in that a huge portion of the league is from Europe/Russia anyway, you have trouble convincing them that they need the NHL

NHL labor talks resume

Updated: November 9, 2012, 4:37 PM ETBy Katie Strang | ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- The NHL and NHL Players' Association were meeting for the fourth straight day Friday in an effort to forge common ground and find a way to reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

According to a union spokesperson, there will be multiple meetings between the sides during the day to discuss collective bargaining matters. The league and union held lengthy discussions the previous three days, covering key issues that divide the sides such as revenue sharing, the "make-whole" provision to honor existing player contracts, and player contracting issues.

Players' pensions also will be a topic of conversation Friday, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com. Joining commissioner Gary Bettman in the Friday afternoon meetings wereBoston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, Minnesota Wildowner Craig Leipold and Calgary Flames co-owner Murray Edwards.

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and Bettman broke their silence Thursday once the media discovered the "undisclosed location" where the two sides were meeting in an effort to avoid interference (talks were held at Midtown Manhattan law firm Proskauer Rose, the same firm that represents the NHL), although neither side offered much insight into the state of negotiations.

Fehr did send a memo to players, according to multiple reports, that cautioned them from getting too optimistic. In the memo, Fehr said, "there is still a lot of work to be done and bridges to be crossed before an agreement can be made."

The NHLPA made two offers to the NHL on Wednesday on revenue sharing and a "make whole" provision, and received a response from the league Thursday, a source confirmed to ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

A source also said that the league made a new offer on systemic contracting issues as well.

According to the NHLPA, Brad Richards, Jeff Halpern, Chris Campoli, Mathieu Darche, Ron Hainsey, George Parros and Kevin Westgarth were in New York Friday for the meetings.

This is the fifth time in seven days there have been negotiations. The 55-day lockout has forced the cancellation of 327 regular-season games, including the New Year's Day Winter Classic in Michigan, and ensured that a full season won't be played.

Source: ESPN

sure there's still a lot of ground to cover, but this can't be a bad thing, right?

sure there's still a lot of ground to cover, but this can't be a bad thing, right?

Certainly not. There's nothing as bad as a "Lockout continues" headline followed by a mention that "No more negotiations are currently scheduled." That shit drove me crazy during the NFL lockout.

I've come to terms with the fact that there isn't gonna be a season. Sucks.

yeah, it's definitely looking that way, but on the bright side Ovi and Backstrom are lighting it up in Moscow, that's kinda like the Caps doing well, right? :p

Come on Steven, whenever I see a post in this thread I'm hoping it's a tweet that the NHL is back.

Jerkoff. :nonono:

The NHL announced Monday that all games have been canceled through Dec. 30.

There had already been 422 regular-season games lost through Dec. 14 because of the lockout, and the latest cuts on Day 86 of the league shutdown claimed 104 more. The NHL also has called off the New Year's Day Winter Classic and the All-Star game.

In all, the 526 lost games account for nearly 43 percent of the regular season that was scheduled to begin Oct. 11.

Source: ESPN

at this point I think only the most optimistic people can still be hoping for NHL hockey this season

:sigh:

What a fucking joke. :disgust:

They're just doing what "they had to do" in '04 for the betterment of the NHL's future.

:rolleyes:

nhl-lockout_02.png

The worst part is, it's become clear that a lot of owners are actually willing to make concessions but the hard liners are really fucking this up. When they weren't talking, the Jets owner said "why aren't we talking? Let's get a deal done." and the bruins owner basically said "you don't have seniority. Learn your place."

The worst part is, it's become clear that a lot of owners are actually willing to make concessions but the hard liners are really fucking this up. When they weren't talking, the Jets owner said "why aren't we talking? Let's get a deal done." and the bruins owner basically said "you don't have seniority. Learn your place."

Just another reason to hate the owners.

Well, some of them, anyway.

I get the impression of the owners are like the Jets' guy but they aren't going to put any pressure on Bettman. Bettman basically does what the owners tell him to and has been listening to the vocal minority that wants to screw over the players as much as possible.

The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association are believed to be back at the bargaining table Wednesday afternoon.

The side are being joined by federal mediators, according to comments Tuesday from NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly.

The meeting is being held at an undisclosed location.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647481

A fat lot of good this will do. They tried this before and it didn't work. Just cancel the damned season.