Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Can anyone run routes like this dude?

Big ups to my favorite WR. One of the best route runners in league history.

2:41 route was NAASTY.

Isaac Bruce

• Upvote 1

Yeah the guy that created most of the current routes used- Don Hudson oh and of course Jerry rice

• Upvote 1

Top 3 Route Runner in the history of the game period

Top 3 Route Runner in the history of the game period

God I hate it when young people say this, or at least young people who could not tell you who the hell was running shit in the 60's and 70's.

How about:

Don Hutson

Jerry Rice

Chris Carter

All three ran better routes and it really isnt a debate. SO does that mean un-period ?

And you could make arguments for Isaac bruce, Art Monk, and had sterling sharpe's career not been cut short he would be in there too. Those 3 though definitely beat out Harrison in route running. Period.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

I think Marvin ran better routes then Cris Carter. Cris Carter made better highlight reel catches imo.

I think Marvin ran better routes then Cris Carter. Cris Carter made better highlight reel catches imo.

Cris Carter is widely regarded as the best route runner in the last decade. That is not my opinion but one that is held by so many it is almost considered fact.

God I hate it when young people say this, or at least young people who could not tell you who the hell was running shit in the 60's and 70's.How about:Don HutsonJerry RiceChris Carter All three ran better routes and it really isnt a debate. SO does that mean un-period ?And you could make arguments for Isaac bruce, Art Monk, and had sterling sharpe's career not been cut short he would be in there too. Those 3 though definitely beat out Harrison in route running. Period.

Ok wow you named one guy who ran routes in the 60's or 70's decade. And NO ONE argued that Rice isn't the top guy. Just because I said top three doesn't mean I said number one so don't get your panties all twisted so quickly. Now Marvin Harrison ran routes better than Carter and you can call Chris Carter the best as a fact all you like, but it doesn't make it so. He has probably the most highly regarded HANDS that is true, but as far as route running I wouldn't say he is so far beyond everyone. The reason Harrison is considered so highly a route runner and there is a argument for top 3 is because of his hips. A very very important characteristic about running routes that Harrison was amazing at is turning his hips before he turned his upper body. You can watch the film if you don't agree. With so many DBs watching the chest of the receiver or putting a hand out to feel where the receiver is being able to shift your hips on the break before bringing your chest around into the break makes it very difficult for DBs to predict or watch where you are headed. This is one of the reasons he has always been an amazing route runner and the reason he is better than Carter IMO.

Ok wow you named one guy who ran routes in the 60's or 70's decade. And NO ONE argued that Rice isn't the top guy. Just because I said top three doesn't mean I said number one so don't get your panties all twisted so quickly. Now Marvin Harrison ran routes better than Carter and you can call Chris Carter the best as a fact all you like, but it doesn't make it so. He has probably the most highly regarded HANDS that is true, but as far as route running I wouldn't say he is so far beyond everyone. The reason Harrison is considered so highly a route runner and there is a argument for top 3 is because of his hips. A very very important characteristic about running routes that Harrison was amazing at is turning his hips before he turned his upper body. You can watch the film if you don't agree. With so many DBs watching the chest of the receiver or putting a hand out to feel where the receiver is being able to shift your hips on the break before bringing your chest around into the break makes it very difficult for DBs to predict or watch where you are headed. This is one of the reasons he has always been an amazing route runner and the reason he is better than Carter IMO.

Hmmm....so do you know when Art monk played ? Then I will do you one better. Raymond Berry, Don Maynard, Steve Largent, Charlie Joiner (who was said to have hall of fame route running ability), Henry Ellard (who Deion said was one of the best ever at route running). And those are all to just name a few and how old were you in CC's heyday ? 6.

And I didnt not say it was only Jerry Rice. Don't be a dufus. You said top 3 and I gave you three that were better. And now you are saying Harrison ran better routes than CC /? :epicfail:

I'm with Ngata. Also want to point out that Peyton Manning made Marvin look like an awesome route runner. The back shoulder throws and all the perfectly anticipated throws makes him look pretty open 24-7 365.

Hmmm....so do you know when Art monk played ? Then I will do you one better. Raymond Berry, Don Maynard, Steve Largent, Charlie Joiner (who was said to have hall of fame route running ability), Henry Ellard (who Deion said was one of the best ever at route running). And those are all to just name a few and how old were you in CC's heyday ? 6. And I didnt not say it was only Jerry Rice. Don't be a dufus. You said top 3 and I gave you three that were better. And now you are saying Harrison ran better routes than CC /? :epicfail:

I was referring to your top 3 list only having one player from that era. And I fail to see how your whole age argument holds any merit. I wasn't alive for many great sporting events. I wasn't even born when the Bear's won their Superbowl. But for some reason I have seen that game 100 times hmm...its called TECHNOLOGY. I didn't have to be at an older age because I have seen game film of him, I have seen his WR camp teaching young guys (Fitz) to run routes and catch the ball. The same way I have seen Harrison do those same things. And football wise Harrison's ability makes him a better route runner, because of the way DBs are taught to cover a WR. As a CB if you are watching a WR's feet please tell me how well you are gonna be able to play your position? Which means you have to watch something on the WR's upper body (eyes, chest) and when they break before their upper body moves it is physically impossible to see it coming and results in Harrison burning people so badly on short and intermediate routes that don't require the long speed and body positioning that the deep routes do they require the quick feet and hip work that is the basis of route running. There have been few WR that Deion gave his praise to and that is fine, but look at the production over the years and tell me Harrison's route running wasn't more effective than most of those guys.

I'm with Ngata. Also want to point out that Peyton Manning made Marvin look like an awesome route runner. The back shoulder throws and all the perfectly anticipated throws makes him look pretty open 24-7 365.

I'm sorry, but you have that backwards. The anticipated throws and back shoulder have nothing to do with running routes. You can throw the ball where the WR will be all day, but if he isn't there to catch it then it doesn't matter. And back shoulder throws are on deep routes that doesn't really require route running skill. Harrison made Peyton look good with his amazing catching and route running

I'm still not going to his car wash.

I was referring to your top 3 list only having one player from that era. And I fail to see how your whole age argument holds any merit. I wasn't alive for many great sporting events. I wasn't even born when the Bear's won their Superbowl. But for some reason I have seen that game 100 times hmm...its called TECHNOLOGY. I didn't have to be at an older age because I have seen game film of him, I have seen his WR camp teaching young guys (Fitz) to run routes and catch the ball. The same way I have seen Harrison do those same things. And football wise Harrison's ability makes him a better route runner, because of the way DBs are taught to cover a WR. As a CB if you are watching a WR's feet please tell me how well you are gonna be able to play your position? Which means you have to watch something on the WR's upper body (eyes, chest) and when they break before their upper body moves it is physically impossible to see it coming and results in Harrison burning people so badly on short and intermediate routes that don't require the long speed and body positioning that the deep routes do they require the quick feet and hip work that is the basis of route running. There have been few WR that Deion gave his praise to and that is fine, but look at the production over the years and tell me Harrison's route running wasn't more effective than most of those guys.

Look at Daunte Culpepper and tell me he was half the QB Peyton was. DO you know who the Redsking QB was in that time, or the QB for the Air Coryell hey day.

And of course you see the SB they play it at least once a year, and for the record You tube is not game film.

Second I am sure there are archives you can access them (or just have every game since 1994 recorded and dubbed on to taped and DVD's because your uncle is a nerd and works with video editing.) but you dont see the homage that other men payed to him in interviews, pro bowls, Coaches Speeches, and so on and so on it takes a knowledgeable youngster to know all of that and a lot of digging.

I'm sorry, but you have that backwards. The anticipated throws and back shoulder have nothing to do with running routes. You can throw the ball where the WR will be all day, but if he isn't there to catch it then it doesn't matter. And back shoulder throws are on deep routes that doesn't really require route running skill. Harrison made Peyton look good with his amazing catching and route running

Haha ohhh the irony. Yeah it was him who made Peyton look good instead of the guy who has made blair white, Austin Collie, and a myriad of others look good...... Yeah he is the one who has it backwards.

Steve Largent was the best route runner imo the dude can run a slant route 12 different ways.

Steve Largent was the best route runner imo the dude can run a slant route 12 different ways.

Steve Largent was a bad dude.

Granted I wasn't a Seahawks fan yet when Largent was playing, but what I saw from his tape was that he was just an athlete who could go grab even a poorly thrown ball. The great grabs he made weren't as much how he was positioned before the ball was thrown, but after the ball was thrown.

Thread title reaction:

VJrcM.gif

Edited by RANGA

Ok game film is game film if you know what you are looking for on the video and I wasn't referring to Youtube thank you very much. Anyways, you don't have to see the praise live a lot of people are still around who either played with them or played against these players. I don't have to live in the 80's to know people respected Walter Payton or in the 60's to know Jim Brown was respected or the 50's to know Dick Night Train Lane was a monster. If you are a STUDENT of the game then you can find these things and you most def will understand the level of respect and opinions for certain players. You keep brining up age, but sorry brother it's just not sticking.

Carter played three years with Culpepper just for the record. And it doesn't matter because no one is denying his greatness. Carter is a better receiver then Harrison by far, but doesn't mean anything when we are talking about route running. Now I don't know what your definition of looking good is but White and Collie and Gonzalez look like middle of the pack serviceable WRs which they were. If you and anyone else believes a QB can make a WR look like a great route runner then you have no football knowledge. Route Running ability can't be inflated, stats can and when you get yourself open it doesn't take a special QB to get you the ball. If I'm correct Harrison was def a highly regarded prospect before Manning got there so him making his career look good is just false.

Ok game film is game film if you know what you are looking for on the video and I wasn't referring to Youtube thank you very much. Anyways, you don't have to see the praise live a lot of people are still around who either played with them or played against these players. I don't have to live in the 80's to know people respected Walter Payton or in the 60's to know Jim Brown was respected or the 50's to know Dick Night Train Lane was a monster. If you are a STUDENT of the game then you can find these things and you most def will understand the level of respect and opinions for certain players. You keep brining up age, but sorry brother it's just not sticking.

Carter played three years with Culpepper just for the record. And it doesn't matter because no one is denying his greatness. Carter is a better receiver then Harrison by far, but doesn't mean anything when we are talking about route running. Now I don't know what your definition of looking good is but White and Collie and Gonzalez look like middle of the pack serviceable WRs which they were. If you and anyone else believes a QB can make a WR look like a great route runner then you have no football knowledge. Route Running ability can't be inflated, stats can and when you get yourself open it doesn't take a special QB to get you the ball. If I'm correct Harrison was def a highly regarded prospect before Manning got there so him making his career look good is just false.

because those endzone fades throw themselves.... dude just stop eveytime you say something you start to sound more ridiculous.

Like a couple weeks ago Lardarius Webb was not a top 10 corner and at first it started intelligent and than just got stupid.

Now with this just stop before you get there.

And way to name drop I am sure that is all you can do when it comes to that era. I am done arguing with you because Steve Largent was a better route runner but you wouldnt admit it if he was. There is no debating with you and I am not going to sit here and waste my time with you.

You do realize Marvin Harrison never had 1000 yards receiving till Manning came. You also do realize that Harrison never had 10 Touchdowns in a season till Manning came. Until Manning.... Harrison had never had 80 Catches a year and when Manning came in 99 Harrison had 8 seasons in a row with 80 + catches. Harrison had also 8 straight 1000 yd seasons from 99 to 2006. He also had 10 + Touchdowns from 99-2006. Manning made Harrison look like a HOF wide out. You my friend has it backwards. In most situations Harrison would of been a very good number 2 receiver but not the future hall of famer people think he is.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 2