Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Immigrant voting.

I did not want to merge this with my other topic, and I do not want to blast folks with topics but this is another question I have.

A hot button issue is illegal immigrants and immigration in general. A lot of people are worried about them swaying the vote whichever way they vote and people are calling for tighter restrictions.

SO what is your thoughts/stance ? Is this a big deal ? Is the voter restrictions the right call ?

And please do not dilute this thread with any sort of racism as this is not directed towards anyone. Most members would nto anyway, but you never know Steelrain might make a comeback.

I think people should have to have some form of governent ID in order to vote. I think every state has government ID already. The only issue is that some people would have trouble getting the ID so I would make the law start for election year 2013.

The problem with that is that either side could manipulate ID requirements to prevent a certain demographic from voting or to restrict votes on their opponent. I believe the South enacted legislation that forced literacy tests to prevent blacks from voting, even though recent amendments guaranteed them this right, but I don't know if the two situations are that comparable. It's just a risk that I see with the issuing of a requirement for IDs.

The problem with that is that either side could manipulate ID requirements to prevent a certain demographic from voting or to restrict votes on their opponent. I believe the South enacted legislation that forced literacy tests to prevent blacks from voting, even though recent amendments guaranteed them this right, but I don't know if the two situations are that comparable. It's just a risk that I see with the issuing of a requirement for IDs.

Sure, but the alternative is clearly unacceptable. We had quite a few last election that voted that were dead/felons/illegal immigrants.

We need some sort of voter ID.

We shouldn't have illegal immigrants in the first place. I don't see the problem in providing proof of ID for now. If we can end the illegal immigration problem, I would like to see no voter ID.

I would also like people here on VISAs and temporary residents to be able to vote. Mostly because I feel that if the government affects you and you have documents, you should be able to vote.

If you aren't legally a citizen, you should be able to vote. That's not a difficult question at all. The problem is how do we prevent every last one of them from voting? Probably not gonna happen.

If you aren't legally a citizen, you should be able to vote. That's not a difficult question at all. The problem is how do we prevent every last one of them from voting? Probably not gonna happen.

I know that my opinion is not very supported, but I guess I'm pretty "avant-garde" in a lot of my political opinions.

I think legal residents and citizens should be the only ones allowed to vote. Rather than making people bring their citizenship paperwork or green cards, they should be issued voting IDs so that we know they are legally allowed to vote.

Echoing the thoughts above...

If they're illegal in the first place, why is it even a question whether they should be allowed to vote?

• Upvote 1

Echoing the thoughts above...

If they're illegal in the first place, why is it even a question whether they should be allowed to vote?

It isn't. I brought up how I believe that temporary, LEGAL residents should be able to vote. That is a separate issue that doesn't have to do with the original post. Also, I would be shocked if anyone actually agrees with me.

Guest Phailadelphia

Am I the only waiting to hear from TGP's favorite liberal on this subject?

I'm assuming you're talking about me, which is kinda funny considering any time I make a legit counterpoint to your typical nonsense you leave the thread for good.

Regarding immigrants voting: Don't have a problem with it. Neither should anyone else.

Regarding ILLEGAL immigrants voting: Opposed, but it's at least worth talking about. To play devil's advocate for a minute... a lot of illegal immigrants pay taxes. To be unable to vote would be taxation without representation, one of many key reasons the US freed itself from British control. On the other hand, they're not legal citizens of the country. There's a lot of gray area there and legitimate points could be made for either argument imo.

I will say this, though: With the baby boomer generation retiring quickly, there won't be enough money in the social security pool for current and future generations. One cure for that is to raise taxes but that's obviously highly unpopular. The other is to relax immigration restrictions. A large influx of immigrants would mean a mass of new tax-paying citizens, giving social security more solvency and kicking that can down the road at least until the immigration numbers level off.

I'm assuming you're talking about me, which is kinda funny considering any time I make a legit counterpoint to your typical nonsense you leave the thread for good.

Really? If you look at the past few threads we've posted in regarding politics, you will see that we post back and forth. Sorry if I'm not devoted enough to come back with an essay-length response every time...

I sense a lot of animosity. Come on, buddy ol' pal. We're both Cowboys fans.

That's worth more than a shitty political party difference, eh?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really? If you look at the past few threads we've posted in regarding politics, you will see that we post back and forth. Sorry if I'm not devoted enough to come back with an essay-length response every time...

He replied to the thread like you asked and you sidestep the response completely. Lmao.

He replied to the thread like you asked and you sidestep the response completely. Lmao.

I already posted my thoughts on the matter and we both oppose it...

What response is needed?

Guest Phailadelphia

No animosity, broski. It's just politics. :) You usually have a reply or 2 and then don't come back with anything afterwards. Just an observation.

No animosity, broski. It's just politics. :) You usually have a reply or 2 and then don't come back with anything afterwards. Just an observation.

I'll willingly admit you're much more into politics than I am.

I'm knowledgeable enough to develop my own thoughts on a political matter but as far as debating (or you may not think so lol), I wouldn't stand a chance.

I already posted my thoughts on the matter and we both oppose it...

What response is needed?

You didn't broach half of what he said in your post.