Vin

Texans @ Jags

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Texans
    • Jags

The Houston Texans had some impressive moments during their season-opening win, but coach Gary Kubiak still sees plenty of room for improvement.

Even from just one game, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert appears to have made progress from last season.

Houston goes for its fourth straight victory in this AFC South series while the Jaguars try to win their third consecutive home opener Sunday.

After making their first playoff appearance in 2011, the Texans (1-0) defeated visiting Miami 30-10 last Sunday. Shayne Graham kicked a 35-yard field goal, Arian Foster rushed for two touchdowns and Matt Schaub threw a 14-yard TD to Andre Johnson during a 6:55 stretch of the second quarter.

All of the scores came off turnovers, but the defending division champs managed six points and 26 rushing yards in the final 30 minutes.

"That's the mark of a good team - you've got to run it and finish the game," said Kubiak, whose team was second in the NFL last season with 153.0 rushing yards a contest. "We didn't do that."

Houston also had special teams issues, with Trindon Holliday totaling 61 yards on four returns and the team giving up a 72-yard punt return for a TD.

"We did not play well on special teams - we didn't cover well, we didn't return well," Kubiak said.

The Jaguars (0-1) didn't fare well against Minnesota's running game in a 26-23 overtime road loss Sunday, giving up 123 yards and two rushing scores.

Jacksonville's pass defense also failed late in regulation, allowing two quick completions before the Vikings kicked a tying 55-yard field goal with 20 seconds left.

"Defensively, we had that game in our hands and let it slip away," linebacker Paul Posluszny said. "If we want to be a great defense, that has got to be the knockout punch right there."

Despite the defensive shortcomings, the Jaguars have to feel good about Gabbert's 2012 debut. The second-year QB, who completed 50.8 percent of his passes in 2011, went 23 for 39 for a career-best 260 yards and two TDs.

Without the benefit of a timeout, Gabbert led a six-play, 76-yard drive in the final minutes of regulation that was capped by a go-ahead 39-yard scoring pass to Cecil Shorts.

"He operated as a quarterback and a leader of a team should operate," left tackle Eugene Monroe told the Jaguars' official website. "He was poised and confident."

That wasn't the case in two losses to Houston in 2011 when Gabbert completed 39.0 percent of his passes and was picked off three times. Former coach Jack Del Rio benched him in the fourth quarter of a 20-13 home loss to the Texans on Nov. 27 after he was sacked six times and threw an INT.

While Gabbert seems to be better prepared in his second season, he could face plenty of pressure from a Texans defense that recorded three sacks, three picks and two forced fumbles in Week 1.

The Jaguars offensive line could have its hands full with end J.J. Watt, who deflected two passes and notched 1 1/2 sacks in the opener after missing most of training camp with a dislocated left elbow.

"He could've played the last two weeks of the preseason, but that wouldn't have been very smart," Kubiak said. "He's just an excellent football player, very well-conditioned, and he played a lot of football today."

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew will return to his starting role Sunday. Backup Rashad Jennings could be sidelined two weeks with an injured knee suffered last week, though he hasn't been ruled out of this game.

Expected to be a third-down option after ending his 38-day holdout a week earlier, Jones-Drew carried 19 times for 77 yards against Minnesota.

"They knew he was going to be ready to go when he came back. Obviously yesterday showed that," Kubiak said of Jones-Drew, who needs one rushing TD to move past Fred Taylor for the team record with 63. "They had a game in their grasp yesterday with what 15 seconds left to play in the game? So I know that was a very difficult game for them and they'll be ready to go.

"It's always tough for us when we go there."

Without an injured Schaub, Houston ended a four-game losing streak in Jacksonville last season.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Hopefully we can channel our inner-mid 00s Texans and win a game against a divisional opponent we have no business beating.

This a sleeper upset pick. I'm still taking Houston, but don't be surprised if Jacksonville pulls this off. Gabbert found some success with four receivers last week (Blackmon, Robinson, Shorts, and Lewis). If that chemistry strengthens, and he can find a ball or two to hit Mike Thomas with, the Jags offense could really take shape this week because Jennings and MJD should be able to move the chains a bit.

Of course, Houston could completely destroy Jacksonville and lay a Texans tramp stamp on them.

This has potential to be extremely uninteresting or surprisingly riveting. Jacksonville needs this win if they want to fulfill their dark horse potential.

I don't see the upset here. Much like the 49ers, I love that Texans defense. That offense aint to shabby either.

:Texans: 32

:jags: 19

Yeah I agree. I've already said before that Jags could possibly pull a few upsets this year and beat some teams. Gabberts development from last year is clear and you see him building chemistry with his receivers. I definitely think he will continue to improve and I'm rooting for him to shut up haters like that prick Michael Lombardi. Never really had an opinion of him before then but the way he ripped Gabbert last year made him a douche. Players don't respect Lombardi or care for his opinions. :nope:

With that said though, I still have the Texans winning.

:Texans: 31

:jags: 20

Texans starting off the season with 2 pretty easy opponents and young QB's. Last week they had Miami. I like the Texans in this one, but I think the Jags will make it closer than some think. Gabbert has made a lot of strides from last year and MJD should get more touches this week than he did last week. I think the Jags D is better than they played against Minnesota so I am expecting this to be a pretty good game till the end.

It's always a tough game against the Jaguars on the road. I'll still pick the Texans to win, but this one will come down to the wire like they always have. I'd be surprised if the Texans won by more than ten.

Texans in a semi-close one.

24 :Texans:

14 :jags:

Texans declared WR DeVier Posey, QB John Beck, CB Roc Carmichael, CB Brandon Harris, LB Bryan Braman, T Andrew Gardner and G Brandon Brooks inactive for Sunday's game against the Jaguars.

The Texans come in as one of the healthiest teams in the league. Arian Foster's knee and flu bug are of no concern whatsoever. Third-round rookie Posey has been a healthy scratch in each of the first two weeks, proving he's behind Lestar Jean and Keshawn Martin on the depth chart.

Jaguars declared CB Derek Cox (hamstring), LB Daryl Smith (groin), RT Cameron Bradfield (ankle), RB Rashad Jennings (knee) and Eben Britton (ankle) inactive for Sunday's game against the Texans.

The Jags are absolutely decimated by injury already. Cox, the starting right corner, will be replaced by a mixture of William Middleton and Kevin Rutland. Herb Taylor, who was signed off the street on Monday, is starting at left guard. Guy Whimper is moving over to right tackle. Look for the Texans to get a ton of pressure on Blaine Gabbert. The Jags' other two inactives are DE Austen Lane and DE George Selvie.

R.I.P. Blaine Gabbert

The good news: The Jags' D is doing a pretty good job in containing the Texans' O

The bad news: The Jags' O hasn't been able to do much against the Texans' D

EDIT: Spoke to soon. Ben Tate just broke off a 26-yard TD run.

EDIT 2: Tate stepped out at the 2. WE LIVE

Edited by Vin

And Foster does what Tate couldn't. 10-0 Texans.

Awesome, Foster scoring that TD, woulda been pissed had Tate stole those points. >_>

Bad field position + ineffective offense = no bueno

Didn't expect total Texan domination. =/

And Ben Tate adds another TD to make it 17-0. Our offense has to do something here to stop the D from completely melting down.

Instead, of doing something with it, we decide to waste a nice return and go three and out. Halftime needs to arrive. Quickly.

33% completion and .7 yards per attempt. Didn't know Brandon Weeden was quarterbacking the Jags today.

On the bright side, we're not turning the ball over.

If the Texans lose this, it'll be because they've decided to throw it. We've shown that we can't stop the run, yet they continue to throw the ball. At this point that's our only hope.

Let Arian pound the rock, Houston! I know Foster doesn't care about my fantasy team, but I do. :p

A three and out by the Texans and nice return by Thomas puts us on their 40 yard line. Time to do something, offense.

Two plays, one TD. Nice of the offense to finally show up. 17-7 Jags.

Good, two years ago when the 49ers were shut out at home. Nobody should have to experience that.

Ben Tate caps off a 9:00, 17-play 80 yard drive with a TD. One step forward, one step back for the Jags.