Vin

Bears @ Cowboys

Jay Cutler was hardly at his best - both on the field and with one of his teammates - during the Chicago Bears' first prime-time game this season, but he shined in his most recent road contest against the Dallas Cowboys.

The quarterback will try to duplicate the positive performance and avoid another meltdown on national TV when Chicago visits Dallas on Monday night.

Cutler has experienced an up-and-down start for the Bears (2-1) and was decidedly on the down side in a 23-10 loss to Green Bay on Sept. 13, throwing four interceptions and getting sacked seven times.

He also created a furor when he was seen berating and giving a slight shove to offensive tackle J'Marcus Webb while the team returned to the sidelines not long after one of those sacks. That led to defensive back D.J. Moore criticizing Cutler's actions the following week.

Cutler, who had 333 yards and two touchdowns in a season-opening win over Indianapolis, was 14 of 31 with one interception against St. Louis in a 23-6 victory this past week. However, he helped lead the Bears to 20 first downs, nine more than they totaled against the Packers.

"Right now we're just learning the offense. Everyone's getting comfortable. We're finding our identity," Cutler told the team's official website. "(Offensive coordinator Mike Tice is) still finding his identity as a play-caller. All those things are coming together and at the end of the day we've just got to win games, and that's what we did."

Chicago recorded six of its league-best 14 sacks and had two interceptions, one returned 45 yards for a touchdown by Major Wright in the fourth quarter.

"They're consistently getting better," Cutler said of the defense. "To see them get out there and dominate like that - they're in complete control of their offense and exactly what was going on. It's a tough group to go against."

Cutler was tough on the Cowboys in a 27-20 road victory Sept. 19, 2010, going 21 of 29 for 277 yards with three touchdown passes. Matt Forte scored a key touchdown on a 3-yard pass from Cutler in the fourth quarter of that game, but his status is uncertain for Sunday.

Forte sat out last week's contest after spraining his right ankle against Green Bay, and Michael Bush had 55 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries in his absence. Forte, though, practiced Wednesday for the first time since getting injured and said he think he'll "be good to go" Sunday.

Coach Lovie Smith tempered that a bit, saying Forte still has "a long ways to go."

If he does play, Forte could help the Bears to their third 3-1 start in four years and deny the Cowboys their first since 2008.

Dallas (2-1) could use a better effort on offense than it had in a 16-10 win over Tampa Bay last week. The Cowboys committed three turnovers and allowed Tony Romo to get sacked four times.

They also had 13 penalties for 105 yards - six false starts - but allowed the Buccaneers to gain just 166 yards.

"This is a very, very satisfying win, even though it will kind of get lost in the shuffle as you move into the season," Romo said. "These are the kind of wins you have to have."

Dallas could also use a little more help from DeMarco Murray. The running back had 131 yards in a season-opening win over the Giants but has totaled 82 in the past two games. He had 38 yards on 18 carries against Tampa Bay.

"We've moved the ball basically the last couple of weeks through the air," coach Jason Garrett said. "We've got to run the ball better. I think we've got to execute better across the board."

The Cowboys rushed for only 36 yards in the 2010 matchup with the Bears, who are sixth in rushing defense at 76.0 yards per game. Romo threw for 374 yards but had a pair of interceptions.

He had 329 yards and two touchdowns in a 34-10 win in the teams' last meeting at Chicago on Sept. 23, 2007.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

The thing about Bears/Cowboys is that it's almost always apparent who's going to win after the first quarter. These are almost always double digit games, even when both teams are solid.

Should be a decent game. I'm taking Chicago in a close one just because I think our defense will perform well.

:Bears: 17

:Cowboys: 14

I don't know who is going to win this one so i will take the Cowboys by a field goal.

This was a hard game to predict. It can go either way imo. Think Dallas may squeak out a win here even though I'm rooting for the bears :towel:

:Cowboys: 23

:Bears: 17

Cowboys declared NT Jay Ratliff, OLB Anthony Spencer, C Phil Costa, DE Kenyon Coleman, S Matt Johnson, LB Alex Albright, and P Chris Jones inactive for Week 4 on Monday night.

Ratliff is out with an ankle injury but is tentatively expected to return after the Cowboys' Week 5 bye. Jones has a left knee injury, so recently signed Brian Moorman will handle punting duties. Spencer has a pectoral issue. Ryan Cook will start at center again.

Matt Forte is active, while Earl Bennett is inactive for Monday Night Football against the Cowboys in Week 4.

The Bears' MNF inactives are Bennett, DT Matt Toeaina, G/C Edwin Williams, TE/FB Evan Rodriguez, G/T Chris Williams, DT Nate Collins, and DE Cheta Ozougwu.

Bennett is out with a wrist injury and will be replaced by Dane Sanzenbacher. Forte is in the starting lineup despite last week's ankle injury, and we anticipate him handling a healthy majority of Chicago's carries on Monday night.

One of like 2 players I respect on the Bears squad... It could be worse.

Leave it to the fucking Cowboys to lose me a fantasy matchup by turning it over three times and allowing two defensive TDs.

Charles Tillman's a baller too.

Yes sir.

Tony Romo is trying harder to win this game than anyone else on the field... Unfortunately, he's playing for the opponent tonight.

It's funny, because none of his first three INTs were his fault. Romo was playing great until his last 2, and I find it ridiculous that in every game he has to try to compensate for the ineptitude of his teammates and Jason Garrett's playcalling.

Hey, DeMarco ran quite well, but let's make sure the pass to run ratio is gazillion to ten.

Dez Bryant, what the fuck is wrong that peanut brain of yours that you continually fuck up the simplest things? That game never should have gotten to 10-0.

Ogletree--you catch the goddamn ball with your hands. Come on, dude.

There are plenty of players who deserve the blame for this loss. Tony Romo is not one of them. There is no reason this guy should have to repeatedly compensate for his teammates every single week.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Plenty of blame to go around in the Cowboys loss, but damn. Did that Bears D show up or what?

Game ball goes to Briggs. Cutler owes him dinner for not only rescuing him from his earlier mistake, but essentially turning the game around at that point.

It doesn't get any better then this. Prime time MNF game and Romo throws 5 pics and 2 of them were pic 6's. This completed my day.

:epicfail:

can't say ive had a better day than this in a long long while. A's clinch and move within one of the Rangers, and Tony Romo throws FIVE PICKS!!! haha

It's funny, because none of his first three INTs were his fault. Romo was playing great until his last 2, and I find it ridiculous that in every game he has to try to compensate for the ineptitude of his teammates and Jason Garrett's playcalling.

Hey, DeMarco ran quite well, but let's make sure the pass to run ratio is gazillion to ten.

Dez Bryant, what the fuck is wrong that peanut brain of yours that you continually fuck up the simplest things? That game never should have gotten to 10-0.

There are plenty of players who deserve the blame for this loss. Tony Romo is not one of them. There is no reason this guy should have to repeatedly compensate for his teammates every single week.

Ok, you're wrong about the first pick not being Romo's fault. It was. Even if Dez ran the hitch the Bears were ALL OVER it. Still probably would have been picked, could have still been a pick 6. Third pick I might not have seen right but it looked like Romo could have been trying to do that retarded shovel pass that he's gotten away with so many times.

Ok, you're wrong about the first pick not being Romo's fault. It was. Even if Dez ran the hitch the Bears were ALL OVER it. Still probably would have been picked, could have still been a pick 6. Third pick I might not have seen right but it looked like Romo could have been trying to do that retarded shovel pass that he's gotten away with so many times.

First pick is on Dez. Come on. Even if Tillman is on it, Dez was supposed to cut in, from what I understand. Third pick is because his OL can't fucking protect him at all. He was dancing out of potholes all night making plays.

I refuse to blame Tony Romo like everybody else is going to. He wasn't at fault, not until 4 and 5, but by that point he had to try to do too much in order to put points on the board.

Boy, I can't wait to hear analysts calling for Kyle Orton. LOL. Just LOL.

The Cowboys offensive line is atrocious yes, but let's give credit to the Bears defense. Just absolutely dominant all night. So many smart veterans on that unit. Briggs and Tillman are monstrous.

• Upvote 1

Third INT is definitely on Romo, as was the 4th and the 5th.

3rd INT is him dancing around in the pocket and then trying to do that stupid shovel pass, he should have realized that he was out of time, A, and B, you don't try something like that when someone is breathing down your neck.

1st INT was a dumb throw, and was on both Dez and him.

2nd INT was a great defensive play, I don't think Ogletree ever got his hands on it, the defender got in there first.

Romo shares some of the blame for the loss, to say he doesn't deserve any of it is foolish.

• Upvote 1

Thanatos is spot on. Cowboys fans need to stop making excuses for Romo. Every week I hear "It wasn't Romo's fault! It wasn't his fault guys!" Yes it was. Not all of it, but he still has to take some of the blame.

However the true blame lies with Jerry Jones. As long as he runs your team, you are never going to get anywhere. You will remain an inconsistant mess because he cares more about making money, and selling the team to the media and the fans than actually playing football. So enjoy another barely .500 season, because that's all you're ever going to get as long a J.J. is ruining... er... running the show.

• Upvote 1

I dunno.. I don't think he was trying to throw the ball on the 3rd one. It gets hit out of his hand, should have been ruled a fumble...