Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Should the Seahawks start Matt Flynn now?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Seahawks start next week?

• Matt Flynn
    • Russell Wilson

Possibly, but how can you know that until you let him try? So far I haven't seen anything to suggest Wilson can't do it. He makes perfect passes... and his recievers drop them, or worse fuck up so gloriously that his great pass turns into a pick. Aside for being a little too quick to scramble on occasion (and let's face it. If your coach pretty much tells you every week he doesn't trust you to throw the ball, wouldn't you try to run?) I've not seen many mistakes that were soley on him save for a handfull of bad throws, and let's face it. Even the guys like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, or RG3 make a few bad throws a game. the point is you have to give the kid a chance to TRY before you decide he can't do it. He's proven to you he deserve the chance, so let him have the reins and see how he does.

I agree with everything you said... But isn't their approach with him thus far indicative of their feelings and confidence in him right now?

I mean, they do know more than we do. I doubt they had a meeting that went,

"Ya, we want this guy to fail, let's reel him in"

I agree with JD's points but this is pretty much my thinking. If you make the decision to go with the future and start Wilson, you have to ride it out.

Why though? They are using him in a way that is really like they aren't using him at all. No lie, pretty much any QB could come and run that offense... That is only a slight exaggeration.

I really don't see the benefit of him playing these snaps when they are going to control him SO much. I am not so sure that he is learning or doing anything of significance that he could do or learn on the bench. I know snaps are valuable, but he really isn't doing anything... By no fault of his own... The Seahawks don't WANT him doing anything. They don't want him making deep throws. They don't want him making throws on important downs and distances. They don't want him under any sort of stress or duress at all.

The Seahawks offense is like, the perfect fit for Matt Flynn. lol. The Hawks should be 1 - 3, and either need to take the collar off, or put the collar on somebody else.

I get you, Favre. One does wonder why they're keeping him on such a tight leash. The thing is they've done it to him from the start. It wasn't like they ran a few games with a normal offense and he failed so they decided to scale it back. They just.. won't let him do anything. So maybe there is something else going on.

There is something else though. I heard that this isn't the first time Pete Carroll has taken away offensive control from his QB. A veteran like Hasselbeck would have never stood for it, but when you have a rookie like Wilson, you're expected to hold his hand, so he has an excuse to completely control the offense without having to let his QB have any say. I really hope that's not the case.

Edited by Jayrus

I get you, Favre. One does wonder why they're keeping him on such a tight leash. The thing is they've done it to him from the start. It wasn't like they ran a few games with a normal offense and he failed so they decided to scale it back. They just.. won't let him do anything. So maybe there is something else going on.

There is something else though. I heard that this isn't the first time Pete Carroll has taken away offensive control from his QB. A veteran like Hasselbeck would have never stood for it, but when you have a rookie like Wilson, you're expected to hold his hand, so he has an excuse to completely control the offense without having to let his QB have any say. I really hope that's not the case.

They've done it from the beginning of the regular season, sure. But show me the preseason Russel Wilson. I just don't get the Hawks coaching staff... lol.

You have a QB who LIGHTS IT UP in the preseason. He is accurate, makes big time plays, great throws, and scores a ton of points.

You start the regular season and you force him to stop doing everything that he succeeded at previously.

It's stupid. lol

Really? Seattle on the road at Carolina is going to lose.

They are not as good of a team as everyone thinks they are, they are a completely different ballclub on the road.

I'd love for them to start Wilson, objectively, I think they should start Flynn.

:rofl:

We lost the turnover battle 3-1, rushed for under 100 yards, and still won. Held CAR to under 200 total yards. Care to change your opinion?

:rofl:

We lost the turnover battle 3-1, rushed for under 100 yards, and still won. Held CAR to under 200 total yards. Care to change your opinion?

TO's were 3 to 2, actually.

And no, my opinion is reinforced by what I saw today. Wilson is not your QB. We were lacking Chris Gamble and Jon Beason, our best corner and our best LB, and Wilson still only managed to get the ball in the endzone off of our offense giving you guys the ball 25 yards from the endzone. The Panthers secondary is absolutely terrible, and it was missing its best player and he can only muster 3 FG drives?

The 'Hawks are a serious contender with a good QB at the helm. Not with Wilson.

Your defense is great.

Your offense sucks ass.

Give Flynn a shot.

Edited by Thanatos19

Wilson isn't a good QB because the playcalling isn't allowing him to be. Get off the guys shit. He's 3-2.

• Downvote 1

Wilson isn't a good QB because the playcalling isn't allowing him to be. Get off the guys shit. He's 3-2.

Then change the playcalling and let him see what he can do.

Otherwise, start the QB better suited to the style of offense you are currently running- Flynn.

• Upvote 1

Then change the playcalling and let him see what he can do.

Otherwise, start the QB better suited to the style of offense you are currently running- Flynn.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Thanatos. We should have been able to score alot more. Some of that was on Wilson, like when he didn't see a wide open Doug Baldiwn for an easy touchdown early on and instead threw a checkdown for almost nothing, but alot of what I saw boiled down to :

A) Wilson makes a great play

B) Penalty takes great play away

No offense can thrive when that keeps happening. We had a huge bomb to Golden Tate all the way down the field that was taken back by a penalty. We had several other sizable passes and a couple of big Marshawn Lynch runs that were brought back by penalties as well. If we cna stop killing our own momentum our offense would be putting up far more points a game. This could have, and should have been a 25 - 30 point game for the Seahawks the way were were controlling the flow of the game, but because we couldn't ever capitalize on any of the short fields we got we almost let the Panthers take it from us.

Alot of it seems to be the guys on the O-Line. Breno Giacomini has been a penalty machine this season, and was responsible for at leaast two penalties that cost us two huge plays. We can't have that. anyone better than the Panthers (Who are fairly good themselves) would have taken this from us. I guarantee if we play that sloppy against the Pats or the Niners they WILL beat us.

The good thing is it seems like we let Wilson play a little more. We let him throw more, and he got some rhythm going. If we can just stop killing that momentum with penalties killing every big play we get we might actually be able to get our offense rolling.

Wilson is going to miss guys that are open occasionally. That's simply something you have to deal with when you have a shorter QB. He just literally won't see them.

I thank you for saying the Panthers are fairly good themselves, but we aren't. And I'm not just saying that because of this game. We are an over-hyped team that is going to be lucky to be even get to the same number of wins we had last season. Chud is calling flashy plays instead of plays that work. No one is helping Cam develop as a QB, either, or so it seems. The kid needs a foot in his ass. I just want to see someone get fucking angry. We're always "Oh, we'll be back, we'll get better." Sick of hearing it. I want to see some fire, like I saw out of Pete Carroll today.

I will say that Wilson's stat-line may have been because both defensive secondaries were allowed to get away with murder.

There was one play on Tate that was just so obvious. And then Browner's one on Smith that wasn't called. But at least they were consistent on letting them get away with it.

I honestly don't think Flynn would do any better right now. Carroll has said he's limiting the playcalling, and that wouldn't change even if Flynn were under center. Flynn's got a bum elbow, and it's not like he has more experience than Wilson now. Flynn is also MUCH less mobile, and would take a lot more sacks with our poor pass pro. Wilson is being groomed like just like Flacco was... the reigns held tight, slowly being eased up while he learns on the job with a strong D at his back. If you look up the numbers, they're much the same. The thing with Russell though is he learns very quickly from his mistakes, and probably puts in as much time if not more than the coaches each week. I want Pete to just give him the keys already, and see what he can do.

I honestly don't think Flynn would do any better right now. Carroll has said he's limiting the playcalling, and that wouldn't change even if Flynn were under center. Flynn's got a bum elbow, and it's not like he has more experience than Wilson now. Flynn is also MUCH less mobile, and would take a lot more sacks with our poor pass pro. Wilson is being groomed like just like Flacco was... the reigns held tight, slowly being eased up while he learns on the job with a strong D at his back. If you look up the numbers, they're much the same. The thing with Russell though is he learns very quickly from his mistakes, and probably puts in as much time if not more than the coaches each week. I want Pete to just give him the keys already, and see what he can do.

You've just jinxed his career by comparing him to Flacco...

I would like to re-visit this thread and just point out that it is threads like this that making having a quarterback like Russell Wilson and one of the top 3 next-gen mobile QB's so awesome :rock:

• Downvote 8

BC's comment doesn't even make fucking sense. I said to change the playstyle and let him see what he could do, and they did. They opened the playbook up during the second half of the season.

But then, idk why I expected his comment to make any sense. Its BC.

• Upvote 1

Nah. Hes a rookie. Theres a reason hes the starting qb over flynn. He needs time and nothing is worse for a team than constantly switching the qb around.

Thank God for past threads to display my eternal brilliance.

You've just jinxed his career by comparing him to Flacco...

the irony is strong with this one...

Haha, ya. It's pretty funny to see me bashing Wilson after the Packers game. Although admittedly I was kind of upset at the time. DUnno if I should have gotten negged for it a year later, but whatever. :)

That Wilson kid sure put on a good show. :shifty:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Haha, ya. It's pretty funny to see me bashing Wilson after the Packers game. Although admittedly I was kind of upset at the time. DUnno if I should have gotten negged for it a year later, but whatever. :)

That Wilson kid sure put on a good show. :shifty:

You had every reason to be upset. I have seen bad calls before, I have seen bad calls be for and against the Colts. But, that call against the Packers was the freaking icing on the cake and the cherry on top with a pretty red bow tied around it with a neon sign that said bullshit.

It was a blatant in your face bad call that was a freaking insult to anyone with half a brain watching the sport.

Okay rant off...... :yep::panic:

Oh and yeah, Wilson should start for the Seahawks. Am I late on this? ;)

Edited by Jules
  • Upvote 1

971669_477714538986029_1138371896_n.jpg

From the opposite corner of the stadium it was obvious a Packer had the ball first, what all of us in the stadium were assuming was that Tate must have pulled the ball from the defender based on the views we didn't have. Was pretty awkward with my packer buddy leaving the stadium.

Edited by BC

the irony is strong with this one...

:laugh: indeed...but to be fair, this would have been my reaction if you told me at the start of last season that Joe Flacco would win the Super Bowl (and I'm sure the reaction of a lot of other people on here as well)

JQpldPU.jpg

• Upvote 2

:laugh: indeed...but to be fair, this would have been my reaction if you told me at the start of last season that Joe Flacco would win the Super Bowl (and I'm sure the reaction of a lot of other people on here as well)

JQpldPU.jpg

very true, which is what makes revisiting some of these threads kinda fun on occasion

hindsight.jpg