Vin

Vikes @ Redskins

Rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III is practicing after suffering a concussion last week, and it looks like he'll get a crack at snapping the Washington Redskins' eight-game home losing streak.

The Minnesota Vikings will have running back Adrian Peterson in their bid for a fourth straight victory in the nation's capital as he appears fully recovered from a season-ending knee injury suffered there in 2011.

Peterson and the surprising Vikings go for a fourth straight victory overall and sole possession of the NFC North lead Sunday.

Concerned that Griffin - the league's leading rushing quarterback with 241 yards - was more susceptible to injury, the Redskins (2-3) did not call a running play for the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner in last Sunday's 24-17 loss to Atlanta. Griffin, though, was knocked out in the third quarter when linebacker Sean Weatherspoon leveled him on a scramble after he failed to find an open receiver on a third-and-goal play.

Griffin attended a Rookie Success Program meeting Monday morning and completed the NFL's concussion protocol before he was allowed to practice Wednesday.

Griffin was a limited participant in practice Thursday and coach Mike Shanahan said the No. 2 overall pick looked "good" during the session, leaving him confident Griffin will start Sunday.

The Vikings (4-1) arrive with plenty of confidence as they're off to their best start since opening 6-0 en route to a division title in 2009. With a win at Washington, Minnesota will move one-half game in front of idle Chicago.

"I know everyone else is surprised that we're 4-1. What stinks is that we should be 5-0," said quarterback Christian Ponder, referring to a 23-20 loss at Indianapolis on Sept. 16.

Ponder's development in his second year has given the Vikings a legitimate passing threat - he has a 95.5 passer rating and his 69.0 completion percentage is second only to Griffin (69.1). But a bigger reason Minnesota is riding its best stretch since winning four straight Nov. 1-29, 2009, might be Peterson's quick return.

The four-time Pro Bowl back suffered a torn ACL and MCL on the Vikings' first offensive play of the second half of a 33-26 win at Washington on Dec. 24. Ponder suffered a head injury on the next play on a sack, and he left the game for good after taking one more snap.

Peterson didn't play this preseason as he rehabbed from those injuries, but he has 420 yards and two scores thus far. Peterson has also answered questions about his breakaway speed as he's tied for second in the NFL with four rushes of 20-plus yards.

The Vikings, ninth in the league with 666 rushing yards, expect Peterson to be available Sunday after he suffered a mild left ankle sprain in last Sunday's 30-7 victory over Tennessee.

"When it's the same leg where you had the knee injury, I can see there being a little bit of doubt in your mind about what is going to happen next but to his credit once again, he kept himself together, got back on the field. He ran great," coach Leslie Frazier said of Peterson, who finished with 88 yards on 17 carries.

So has Percy Harvin, who has become the team's go-to receiver on bubble screen passes that maximize his versatility. He is tied for second in the NFL with 38 catches, and 329 of his 407 receiving yards have come after the catch.

"A beast, that's probably a good way to describe him," Ponder said after Harvin had a rushing and receiving score last week. "We're going to keep giving him the ball."

The Redskins will continue to rely on rookie Alfred Morris, who had a season-high 115 rushing yards last week and has 491 overall. Morris, a sixth-round pick, and Griffin are tied for the team lead with four rushing TDs, with Griffin's total having already tied the single-season team record for a quarterback.

Washington, though, will face an improving Vikings defense that's allowed one rushing TD. Minnesota held former 2,000-yard rusher Chris Johnson to 24 on 15 carries last Sunday and the Titans to 52 overall on the ground.

"It's exciting to know that every week you have a chance. It's exciting to know that with so many questions going into this year, it's exciting to answer 'OK, if we play our best, we have a chance to beat anybody in the NFL,'" end Jared Allen said. "And we're pretty darn good if we play our best."

The Redskins' last home win was 22-21 over Arizona on Sept. 18, 2011.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

Blair Walsh wins this game..

:Vikings: 20

:Redskins: 17

In overtime..

Ya, I think this is going to be a game of FGs for the most part with a TD sprinkled in between. The Vikings defense has played great so far, but I don't know if they will be able to answer RGIII's ability to run with the football.

Redskins - 20

Vikings - 13

:Vikings: 14

:Redskins: 23

I can see picking the Redskins in DC, but almost everybody is acting like it's a given that they'll win. Come on.

Pierre Garcon (foot) is inactive for Sunday's game against the Vikings.

Washington could turn to a rotation of Aldrick Robinson and Leonard Hankerson at split end, with Josh Morgan entrenched at flanker. The Skins have also spoken of increasing Santana Moss' role, making Garcon's replacement a dicey fantasy fill-in lacking clarity.

The Redskins' other six inactives are CB Cedric Griffin, S Brandon Meriweather, DE Doug Worthington, OL Adam Gettis, OL Josh LeRibeus, and QB Rex Grossman.

Robert Griffin III, as expected, is active.

Jerome Simpson (back, leg) is inactive for Week 6 against the Redskins.

Simpson's back injury has affected his legs, and his status moving forward is uncertain. The Vikings may turn to Michael Jenkins to play split end against Washington.

Minnesota's other Week 6 inactives: WR Jarius Wright, CB Brandon Burton, S Mistral Raymond, LB Marvin Mitchell , and OL Mark Asper.

I can see picking the Redskins in DC, but almost everybody is acting like it's a given that they'll win. Come on.

:devious:

I really want to be concerned about this being an exposure game for the Vikings...

but I'm not. The 'skins looked terrible in a traditional offense (9-0). They changed it up and ran a pistol offense that right now nobody knows how to defend and only the Redskins have the tools to employ. The Vikings simply weren't prepared for it and got beat because of that. They'll rebound in the next two weeks to beat weaker opponents. The 'skins, however, should take note of this and use this offense until somebody stops it. This is twice as scary as the Wildcat or Tim Tebow's run-option offense in Denver ever were.

The pistol offense? I must admit, I've never heard that term before and I didn't get to see this game.

Care to explain what that is?

The pistol offense? I must admit, I've never heard that term before and I didn't get to see this game.

Care to explain what that is?

It's essentially an offense run out of a shortened shot-gun formation (4 yards to the QB instead of 5-7) with a tailback another 3 yards behind the quarterback. It sets up lots of possibilities. You could motion in a wide receiver from the outside as you snap the ball, have the quarterback run in the same direction and decide between 3 things: 1. Keep it and run. 2. Option it to the back. 3. Throw a shovel pass to the underneath guy.

And that's just one play possibility out of it. I'd refer to it as more of a formation than an offense, though. My bad for the wording.

I would actually love to see the Vikings run the play I just described. While Ponder isn't RG3 athletically, his speed and running ability is definitely in the top 5 range for mobile quarterbacks. I find it hard to believe how undocumented his ability to run has been.

Anyway, imagine that play I just described, except the quarterback's options with giving up the ball include optioning it to Adrian Peterson instead of Albert Morris or shoveling it to Percy Harvin instead of Santana Moss.

Damn.

I'm just waiting for people on ESPN to say, "I knew the Vikings were going to run out of gas eventually."

Hooray for loving the Vikings but not being overly optimistic about this season!

Rg3 is probably the most entertaining player in the league right now. He's making great plays in the air and ground. 76 yard TD run has to be the longest QB run ever.

Edited by dutchff7