Vin

Lions @ Bears

Sitting atop the NFC North, the Chicago Bears appear anything but satisfied with plenty of football still to come.

Having pulled out a much-needed win last weekend, the last-place Detroit Lions are hoping to take another step in the right direction Monday night.

Looking to pick up where they left off before their bye, the Bears try to continue their recent domination of the Lions as these division rivals square off in what could be another intense showdown at Soldier Field.

Chicago (4-1) has had its way with Detroit (2-3) of late, taking seven of eight in the series - including a 37-13 home win Nov. 13. The teams got into a sideline-clearing fight in that game after Matthew Stafford ripped off D.J. Moore's helmet during Tim Jennings' interception return.

"There's always going to be bad blood," Jennings told the team's official website. "Just the fact that we're Chicago and they're Detroit, and they're in our division and we know we have to go through one another to get to that championship that we need to get to, there's always going to be bad blood with them."

The Lions figure to have trouble ending their woes in this series if the Bears' recent efforts are any indication. Chicago outscored Jacksonville 38-0 in the second half of a 41-3 road win Oct. 7, extending its winning streak to three behind another superb defensive display.

Charles Tillman and Lance Briggs became the first teammates to each return interceptions for touchdowns in consecutive weeks, giving the Bears a league-high 13 picks on the season.

"I just know that we need to keep it going. Guys realize ... taking the ball away is a part of a good defensive game for us," said coach Lovie Smith, whose team is allowing an NFL-low 14.2 points per contest. "We can't wait for them to turn the ball over. We have to go and get it. I think the last couple weeks or so, I think defensively we have scored about as many as the defense has given up. I think it's just a mindset. We have guys that have been around here a long time."

The Bears, who moved into sole possession of first place with Minnesota's 38-26 loss at Washington, sit one-half game ahead of the Vikings and two in front of the Lions.

"Our division took a step up," Smith said. "But as I told the team ... none of that really matters for us. We like the position we're in. Any week you have to be ready to go to play your best football. That's what I saw from (last) weekend. Teams that played 60 minutes or more end up winning the football game.

"Detroit, this week ... I'm sure they've been waiting for this game for a long time."

Coming off their bye, the Lions - trailing by 10 with just over five minutes remaining in regulation - appeared headed for a fourth consecutive loss before clawing their way back to win 26-23 in overtime at Philadelphia last Sunday. Jason Hanson connected on the game-winning field goal in OT, his fourth of the afternoon.

The Lions overcame 16 penalties, becoming the first team to win with that many since Cincinnati's 17 in a 37-8 win over Minnesota on Sept. 18, 2005.

"I think it was a big step for us as a team, playing team football today and it was a lot of spirit and guys picking each other up," coach Jim Schwartz told the team's official website. "I think that's a good sign of things to come for this team."

Stafford threw for 311 yards with a touchdown and an interception while safety Louis Delmas - making his season debut following knee surgery - had one of the Lions' two picks.

Detroit didn't pick off a pass in its first four games.

"Turnover ratio is well-documented as being part of success," Schwartz said. "But I think we need to worry about executing schemes, making plays, those kind of things. And when you do, you'll take care of the football and also you'll have a chance to get the football."

While Detroit is allowing 3.7 yards per carry - 10th in the league - it could have its hands full with Matt Forte. The Pro Bowl back has given the Lions fits over the last eight games in this series, compiling 975 yards from scrimmage and seven touchdowns.

Jay Cutler, meanwhile, has thrown 10 touchdowns and one interception while posting a 105.4 rating in his six games against the Lions in a Bears uniform.

Chicago, 8-2 on Monday night under Smith, has outscored Detroit by an average of 14.3 points during a four-game home winning streak.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

I don't see the Bears losing this game, and it could resemble 37-6 from last year. Like I said in the offseason, Detroit will struggle this year and then rebound next year. That struggling theme will continue on Monday night.

Time for the Bears to show why they're the team to beat in the North.

I gotta go with Chicago. From the highlights I've seen of them, the Bears look like a serious threat in the NFC.

:Bears: 38

:Lions: 17

Fuck that, we are going to beat the Bears on Monday Night Football, in Soldier Field. IT WILL HAPPEN!

27-24 Lions. BRING IT ON BEARS!!!

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Lions have ruled RCB Jacob Lacey (concussion) out for Monday night's game against the Bears.

Brandon Pettigrew (knee) and Titus Young (knee) both practiced on a limited basis on Saturday and are listed as probable for Monday Night Football against the Bears.

Lions are coming off a big win against the Eagles and the Bears have quietly been taking care of business. I like the Bears in this one. It's in Chicago and it will probably be some cold, windy weather since it is on Monday Night. I think the Bears D will be able to force some turnovers like they have been doing all season.

Bears defense has been great. I'll take the Bears.

:Bears: 30

Bears declared WR Alshon Jeffery, TE Brody Eldridge, CB Sherrick McManis, DTs Matt Toeaina and Nate Collins, OL Edwin Williams, and DE Cheta Ozougwu inactive for Monday night's game against the Lions.

With Jeffery (fractured hand) out, Devin Hester will start opposite Brandon Marshall. McManis has a hip injury. Other than those two players, the rest are healthy.

Lions declared RB Kevin Smith, CBs Jacob Lacey and Bill Bentley, OLs Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard, and DE Ronnell Lewis inactive for Monday night's game against the Bears.

Smith has fallen behind Mikel Leshoure and Joique Bell on the depth chart. Third-string running back Stefan Logan offers special teams ability. Jonte Green is expected to start opposite Chris Houston with Lacey (concussion) and Bentley (shoulder) out. Kellen Moore is the third quarterback.

Yesterday was such an awesome day for Football. Sad week 7 is coming to an end.

Thursday should be a great game.

Thank God for :NFL: !!!!

:beerchug:

Oh - and I got the Bears, but wouldn't mind seeing the Lions with the upset.

:Bears: 23

Edited by BayAreaBomber

I'm up 9 in my fantasy matchup and I have Megatron and my opponent has LeShoure and Hanson. I should win, right? unsure.gif

Edited by GoodellFTL

Wow, Cutler looked awesome that drive. Showed great mobility and extended plays.

Brandon Marshall continues to impress and gets the TD on the 1st drive.

7-0 Bears

Forte is gonna punish this D.

Suh is a fucking punk. Really? Tackling a guy like that onto his throwing shoulder when you had him corralled already? Jesus Christ. #90 is a damn punk, and he's entirely aware of what he's doing.

Suh didn't do anything illegal, but it did look like a pretty dirty tackle.

Lions offense can't do squat. Stafford has been awful tonight with a lot of overthrows and when he has made good passes, his receivers have dropped them. Megatron even has a drop and he's been shut down by Peanut Tillman.

We crowned Megatron the best WR in the NFL too early, and I actually think the best WR is wearing #15 in Chicago colors.

We crowned Megatron the best WR in the NFL too early, and I actually think the best WR is wearing #15 in Chicago colors.

Lol? Talk about crowning someone too early.

Lol? Talk about crowning someone too early.

Marshall too early? Nah. I've pondered it for awhile, especially after the last time I saw him play Revis. I don't know if he's statistically great against Revis, but when he was in the division he never had a QB of Cutler's caliber. Either way, I saw him do things to Revis that no other receiver does.

He's not going to be statistically better than everybody but skillset wise I don't know if anybody's better than Brandon Marshall.

I love Brandon Marshall and think he is one of the most underrated players in the game, but no way is he the best WR in the NFL. He MAY be top 5.

Anyways, Stafford has fucking sucked tonight. Looks real uncomfortable out there.

I said last year that Detroit's offense would not continue to keep working. They need a running game. They need to do things to offset their passing ability, and I just don't see them even trying to do that. New England can usually run a little bit, so can Green Bay. New Orleans has a set of scary running backs.

Detroit has the capability of balancing their offense, but they seem unwilling to do so.

Edited by BwareDWare94