housemd

NBA 2012 Regular Season Thread

JJ has been awesome for my fantasy hoops squad. :yep:

The Magic back up their emotional win over the Lakers last night with a similar performance against the Warriors tonight. We're 6-4 when Jameer Nelson is playing, 1-6 when he is out. I'm really proud of this team though, we aren't a playoff team or anything but these guys play hard and believe in each other. A breath of fresh air from the poisonous drama of last year.

We got any Hornets fans out here?

Just became a Hornets fan this year because of Brian Roberts. My All-Time favorite college basketball player for my favorite team. It's kind of like LeBron fans I guess, but I have never really gotten into the NBA.

Anyways... How do you guys like Roberts? Statistically he is lightyears ahead of Rivers.

On a nice little stretch of 5 games with like 55 points, 14 assists and 5 TOs. Not bad for a guy who went to a mid-major then had to play 4 years in Europe before he got his shot at the NBA.

Brook Lopez and Reggie Evans are both out for the Nets tonight.

lolz if the Thunder manage to lose this game.

I have no idea how Houston won tonight. Holy crap.

Man, does Harden have off-nights. This is why he's not a #1. Hopefully we can land somebody in the offseason to pair with him.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea how Houston won tonight. Holy crap.

Man, does Harden have off-nights. This is why he's not a #1. Hopefully we can land somebody in the offseason to pair with him.

Or off Finals series.

He's the same age Westbrook was when people wanted to trade him for being crazy inconsistent. He'll get there.

Report: Ricky Rubio wants to play Friday, likely will next week

Kurt Helin

Dec 7, 2012, 10:05 AM EST

2 Comments

ricky-rubio-rising-stars-challenge

Ricky Rubio is on the cusp of returning to the Minnesota Timberwolves lineup.

And with it, the NBA just got more fun to watch.

The Spanish point guard with a flair for the game has been out recovering from the torn ACL and following surgery since last March. But he has been practicing with the team this week and he thinks he’s ready to go, reports Daren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 in Minnesota.

Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson

#Twolves source: Rubio angling to play tomorrow. Still a better chance because his conditioning isn't 100% that we're a week away from that.

6 Dec 12

Retweet

Favorite

Next week the Timberwolves host the Nuggets on Wednesday and are in New Orleans on Friday.

The Timberwolves could use Rubio and his gifts for passing, their offense has lagged this season, they are 22nd in the NBA in points per possession. The Timberwolves got Kevin Love back from a broken hand but that has not been a huge boost, they are just 3-5 in the eight games.

The Minnesota offense has struggled in transition and when guys are getting spot-up opportunities or cutting off the ball — Rubio’s passing and court vision could get guys better looks and lead to more makes in those settings.

At least Rick Adelman hopes so.

:yep: Always been a fan of young Rubio, he's a true baller.

Guest Phailadelphia

Posted by @RicBucher...

Why Kevin Durant and Russ Westbrook were, and will be, fired up every time they play Kobe Bryant and the Lakers this season: source says the Black Mamba talked relentless smack during the Olympics that the Thunder stars weren't going back to the Finals after the Lakers acquired Steve Nash and then added Dwight Howard right before the U.S. played Spain for the gold medal. Kobe also made a point of guarding Westbrook during practices and pumping him up, the theory being that he wanted to incite Russ to bump heads with KD over who the team's best player is. (If you think that's too conspiratorial to be real, you don't know Kobe.) KD, in particular, got tired of hearing him. For what it's worth: KD and Westbrook's combined 69 points is the highest single-game total they've posted this season.

Ha ha

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1

Haha that story about trying to get Westbrook and Durant to feud is great. And theres no way I would believe it if it was anyone other than Kobe.

I sympathize greatly with Kevin McHale for the loss of his 23 year old daughter. I can't imagine going through that, and hope he's doing as well as it appears, but I do want to point out a few stupid things he did tonight in his coaching return:

1. Marcus Morris did not see the floor. What the fuck is this? Sure, he won't drop points every night, but he does everything else, and he's much less limited offensively as the likes of Cole Aldrich.

2. He played Cole Aldrich over Greg Smith at backup center. GSmith only saw a handful of minutes tonight. What the fuck is that? Did he just forget that the Lakers game happened?

3. He left Carlos in there even though he couldn't hit a thing. Carlos Delfino is worse than useless when his shot isn't dropping. He's like James Jones. If he's not draining threes, the rest of his game suffers.

4. Asik was on the bench way too much. Sure, Aldrich plays hard, but he is not the defender that Asik is. Dallas got a few paint buckets that were way too easy near the end, and Asik would have prevented or at least challenged each of them.

Again, my heart goes out to McHale and his family in the wake of such a terrible tragedy, the likes of which I would not wish upon my worst enemy, but Kelvin Sampson had this team going, he had the rotation figured out...why couldn't McHale come back and just take the reigns instead of reinventing everything? Fuck this. This team had no business losing at home to a less than impressive Dallas squad who is missing their only star. UGH!

Also, as if Russell Westbrook isn't smart enough to realize that he is not in Kevin Durant's echelon as a player. Is Russ a great player? Yes. An elite point guard? Potentially, if not already, but I don't find him to be a moron, and only a moron could wear the #0 jersey in OKC and think he's even comparable to Kevin Durant. I'm sorry, but Durant is the second best player in the league, easily, and Russ might not even crack the top 10. What hope could Kobe have possibly had about a feud starting between them?

On another note, this is why I love Kobe Bryant, and why I think he'll be the only other shooting guard that'll be in the discussion for greatest player ever alongside Jordan.

Suns blow. I really like Alvin Gentry. Great guy... but the results just aren't there right now. He's got to be on the hot seat.

The results with what? Nothing of a roster? The Suns have been a fringe playoff team at best, and I think it's pretty clear that management knows this.

On another note, he needs to start Luis again. He's the consistent that Markieff Morris isn't, and you need the people you know are going to produce on the court right away. I'd say put Dudley back as a starter, too. Brown is a career sub.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Shannon has been in a nice little stretch actually... I wouldn't mind Scola starting. He and Morris average about the same minutes anyhow.

We need to get the TO under control is what needs to happen.

Anyway, what happened to McHale's daughter? Sorry, quite late to the party.

Shannon has been in a nice little stretch actually... I wouldn't mind Scola starting. He and Morris average about the same minutes anyhow.

We need to get the TO under control is what needs to happen.

Anyway, what happened to McHale's daughter? Sorry, quite late to the party.

Died of complications with lupus.

She died a few weeks ago and he took (understandable) time off. I think last night was his first game back.

I sympathize greatly with Kevin McHale for the loss of his 23 year old daughter. I can't imagine going through that, and hope he's doing as well as it appears, but I do want to point out a few stupid things he did tonight in his coaching return:

1. Marcus Morris did not see the floor. What the fuck is this? Sure, he won't drop points every night, but he does everything else, and he's much less limited offensively as the likes of Cole Aldrich.

2. He played Cole Aldrich over Greg Smith at backup center. GSmith only saw a handful of minutes tonight. What the fuck is that? Did he just forget that the Lakers game happened?

3. He left Carlos in there even though he couldn't hit a thing. Carlos Delfino is worse than useless when his shot isn't dropping. He's like James Jones. If he's not draining threes, the rest of his game suffers.

4. Asik was on the bench way too much. Sure, Aldrich plays hard, but he is not the defender that Asik is. Dallas got a few paint buckets that were way too easy near the end, and Asik would have prevented or at least challenged each of them.

Again, my heart goes out to McHale and his family in the wake of such a terrible tragedy, the likes of which I would not wish upon my worst enemy, but Kelvin Sampson had this team going, he had the rotation figured out...why couldn't McHale come back and just take the reigns instead of reinventing everything? Fuck this. This team had no business losing at home to a less than impressive Dallas squad who is missing their only star. UGH!

Why am I agreeing with you lately? :p