housemd

NBA 2012 Regular Season Thread

Quote of the Day: Kobe is looking for a new Lakers opponent

Kurt Helin

Dec 14, 2012, 10:25 AM EST

“At this point I wish we had the Washington Generals on our schedule.”

—Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers, talking about his team’s struggles as they head to Washington to take on the lowly Wizards on Friday night.

Of course, those lowly Wizards beat the Heat recently and will put up a fight in this game, and the Lakers haven’t shown much fight as a team lately. So Kobe may be on the right track here.

LmaoFakers. They have the worst Lakers defense I've ever seen in my entire lifetime. Awful defensive rotations and closeouts. Last night was EMBARRASSING. Especially when Melo put up 22 points alone in the first quarter.

Damian Lillard is a monster.

I'd already call him a top PG. I never thought I'd say that about a rookie.

Out of curiosity, who would you start instead Bware?

There's a long list of Western PFs who are better than Blake Griffin, I think.

1. Love

2. Duncan

3. (I want to say Aldridge here but he's not balling like in recent years). I'd still start him over BG.

4. Gasol

5. Randolph

6. Ibaka

Those are the 6 that are definitely better. If I go through more Western bigs, some starting at PF and some at C, I'll find more that I'd take over BG.

1. DeMarcus Cousins

2. Carl Landry (I'm serious. This guy is one of the best post up players in the league, makes his free throws, and plays defense, unlike Blake).

3. Maybe David Lee. Not really sure on that one.

4. Paul motherfucking Millsap, one of the most underrated players in the league.

5. Dirk, if healthy

I'm already at 11 Western bigs who are better at everything but dunking and, in a few cases, rebounding. That has to say something. Blake can get lobs and dunks, grab you 10 boards, and stare at the officials time and time again all game. Chris Paul's constant bitching has turned Blake into a player who's hard to watch when he came into the league humble and easy to like.

Needless to say, anybody who can subjectively watch basketball knows that Blake Griffin is the product of hype and a bunch of highlight reel dunks. Is he a good player? No question, but he's not the great some are making him out to be.

The Grizz hired John Hollinger, its interesting to see how much teams are starting to rely more and more on metrics. Idk if he's the best option for that with his PER rating, but cool nonetheless.

Also, I'm not trying to turn this into a Griffin vs. Love thing again because its clear by now that some of you will hate him no matter what, but to think at least so far this season that KLove is more deserving of all-star then Griffin is laughable.

The Grizz hired John Hollinger, its interesting to see how much teams are starting to rely more and more on metrics. Idk if he's the best option for that with his PER rating, but cool nonetheless.

Also, I'm not trying to turn this into a Griffin vs. Love thing again because its clear by now that some of you will hate him no matter what, but to think at least so far this season that KLove is more deserving of all-star then Griffin is laughable.

Well, had Love played the whole season at the rate he's going he certainly would deserve it. I can't argue with you on this when I don't think Love even has 10 games under his belt.

And Love vs Griffin would be pointless. We know Love is better, but you're subjective enough to bring up the argument that Griffin is quite good, too. I know this. I just don't really appreciate the hype machine surrounding him.

Guest Phailadelphia

I think by the break he will be more deserving than Griffin. He's the better all around player by a gigantic margin.

Well, had Love played the whole season at the rate he's going he certainly would deserve it. I can't argue with you on this when I don't think Love even has 10 games under his belt.

And Love vs Griffin would be pointless. We know Love is better, but you're subjective enough to bring up the argument that Griffin is quite good, too. I know this. I just don't really appreciate the hype machine surrounding him.

At the rate Love is going? As in the rate he's going this season?

If so, no. He wouldn't be more deserving. The All star should be about who is playing better, not who's the better player.

And are you saying that Griffin isn't "quite good"? Are you guys still running with this "Griffin is just a highlight machine"? Oh Lauwd.

• Upvote 1

At the rate Love is going? As in the rate he's going this season?

If so, no. He wouldn't be more deserving. The All star should be about who is playing better, not who's the better player.

And are you saying that Griffin isn't "quite good"? Are you guys still running with this "Griffin is just a highlight machine"? Oh Lauwd.

That's all he is. If forced outside of his athletic game, he's nothing. You trail him, you shadow him and box him out. He's not dropping anything on you.

What does that say about his "athletic game", or his ability to finish around the basket if only 3 teams have managed to shut him down this season? And it was something that happened on rare occasions last year?

Or that he averages 19 points in the postseason on 50% from the field?

The people who believe that Griffin is just a hype machine are no better, or knowledgeable on his game then the people who vote for Griffin just because ESPN makes him out to be a hype machine.

Welp, it's now officially basketball season.

What does that say about his "athletic game", or his ability to finish around the basket if only 3 teams have managed to shut him down this season? And it was something that happened on rare occasions last year?

Or that he averages 19 points in the postseason on 50% from the field?

The people who believe that Griffin is just a hype machine are no better, or knowledgeable on his game then the people who vote for Griffin just because ESPN makes him out to be a hype machine.

His jump shot is the definition of inconsistent. He could build a house with his missed free throws, and he's not dangerous if you keep an able body on him and don't let him roam the court. He's a free-lance acrobat, essentially. He's going to get his because you can't shadow him 100% of the time, but he's not a big moment player because big moments involve good defense and he's not useful unless he's somewhere near the basket.

Epic game in Brooklyn, tonight.

I lol'd at Lawrence Frank's face after Joe Johnson hit the GW buzzer-beating shot. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Sucks that Kim English got sent to the D-League, but at least he played well in his first game there. 24 points, 3 assists, 6 rebounds.

Finally got to watch a game not on a stream. Are the Rockets ever going to be on ESPN or TNT?

Ah I forgot those stations are reserved for OKC, BOS, SAS, LAC, LAL, MIA and the like.

'bout time.

Ironically, Kevin Love shoots worse from everywhere on the court then Blake Griffin that isn't the 3 point line, and the free throw line, and 10-15 feet away from the basket where neither shoot many shots.

Even more ironic, KLove shoots worse from everywhere on the court outside of 3PT then most starting PF who play over 30 minutes.

Its funny how everyone seems to know how to stop Griffin from putting up 20 points a game, but never manage to do it. One would think stopping the one guy on the Clips who scores the most points per game would be done more often since its so easy to do.

Sucks that Kim English got sent to the D-League, but at least he played well in his first game there. 24 points, 3 assists, 6 rebounds.

Yea I'm actually kinda mad about this. But reality set in and maybe he might just be another guy who was drafted in the 2nd round being hyped up to be more then he is.

I'm still cheering for him to come back and be this very good spot-up jump shooter, so we can kick Rodney Stuckey further down the bench.

The Suns won a game! It's a miracle!

Jermaine O'Neal has really logged effective minutes, I'd like to see him out on the floor more often.

Carl Landry is better than Blake Griffin. I've now heard it all.

Re-read the post, dude. I said he's another big I'd rather have than Blake Griffin. There is no argument, in reality, over who's better, but I'll take the guy who actually can post up and make free throws. I'm telling you, if Carl Landry got starter minutes, he'd be an All-Star.

I actually like Griffin and don't mind the Clips either. Guess I'm sick of the Lakers and want to see the Lob City.

Guest Phailadelphia

Ricky Rubio makes his return tonight!

• Upvote 1

I actually like Griffin and don't mind the Clips either. Guess I'm sick of the Lakers and want to see the Lob City.

I could handle the Clippers without Chris Paul, but his notoriously dirty play and constant bitching to the officials has turned the entire team into a bunch of little entitled bitches who whine and I can't stand it. It's like a return to the late '90s and early millennium before the NBA put in rules to stop all that bitching. I don't understand how the Clippers don't get numerous technicals a game.

Edited by BwareDWare94