Vin

Steelers @ Giants

Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger will be forever linked as multiple Super Bowl winners after being selected in the 2004 draft.

The star quarterbacks have split their first two matchups heading into Sunday, when the Pittsburgh Steelers visit a New York Giants team looking to win its fifth straight.

These traditional franchises have each won two Super Bowls since New York (6-2) traded for Manning on draft day in 2004 and Pittsburgh (4-3) selected Roethlisberger at No. 11. Although there are numerous statistics associated with these potential Hall of Famers, the most important may be Manning's 8-3 postseason mark and Roethlisberger's 10-4 record.

"The big thing is I think it's a fair assessment to call both of them winners," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Both guys have been to the big dance and delivered. That's what this profession is about. That's what that position, particularly, is about."

These teams met in the quarterbacks' rookie seasons, with Pittsburgh coming back to win 33-30 at Giants Stadium during its 15-1 campaign. Their other matchup was in 2008, when Manning rallied the Giants to a 21-14 victory at Heinz Field in a season in which the Steelers went on to win their most recent title.

This is the first time quarterbacks in opposite conferences with multiple championships are meeting in a regular-season game since Joe Montana's 49ers beat Jim Plunkett's Los Angeles Raiders in 1985.

Roethlisberger and Manning won't meet again for another four years unless they go head-to-head first in a Super Bowl.

"He's obviously a great player and it would be fun to play him (more), but I think you lose the fact that it's not him versus me," Roethlisberger said. "It's their team versus our team and I think he'll tell you the same thing."

Manning will be up against the NFL's top-rated pass defense in a Steelers unit that is yielding 182.6 passing yards per game. That's despite a pass rush that has produced a meager 12 sacks and the fact that star safety Troy Polamalu is set to miss his fourth straight game with a strained right calf.

"They do a good job against the passing game in general, so we've got to make sure we're sharp in our protections, picking up the different blitzes and their looks and having time to get open," Manning said.

Pittsburgh's defense has been helped by first-year coordinator Todd Haley's offense that is holding onto the ball for more than 34 minutes a game for the league's second-best mark. Roethlisberger, who has been sacked just 13 times, has guided a unit that leads the league in third-down conversions at 51.9 percent thanks to his NFL-best 117.1 passer rating on third downs.

"Much has been said about the way in which they've directed and changed their offense over there," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "He has been well protected, he has not been hit nearly as much, nor is he forcing anything."

Running backs Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles) and Isaac Redman (ankle) have both missed Pittsburgh's last two games, although there's a chance each could return Sunday. The Steelers have still been productive on the ground in their consecutive victories, with unheralded Jonathan Dwyer amassing 229 yards rushing.

Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark returned to practice after leaving last week's 27-12 win over Washington with a concussion.

One glaring difference between these teams is New York's NFL-best 24 takeaways compared to seven for the Steelers that tie them for the second fewest. Giants safety Stevie Brown, the NFC defensive player of the week, has three of his five interceptions over the last two weeks.

New York's pass rush is also heating up with 13 sacks over its last three games after totaling eight in its first five.

The Giants are in a familiar position, having started 6-2 for the sixth time in nine seasons under Coughlin. They have never improved to 7-2 in those campaigns, losing four times at home.

New York is 1-7 in game No. 9 under Coughlin.

"We're very happy to be 6-2," said Coughlin, whose team won 29-24 at Dallas last Sunday. "We have a long way to go. We have a lot of work to do to be the team that we want to be."

Pittsburgh is 13-3 in regular-season games against NFC foes since losing to New York four years ago. Manning is 11-5 as a starter at home against the AFC.

"Obviously we are playing the defending world champs in their place," Tomlin said. "That is varsity ball, as we say in our business."

The Steelers will leave for New York on Sunday morning and depart Sunday evening because the hotel the team is booked to stay at in Jersey City was still without power as of Thursday afternoon due to Hurricane Sandy.

NFL teams are required to travel the day before a game, but the league allowed the Steelers to alter their plans.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

Oh, man, lots of intrigue in this one!

Manning's going to be handcuffed in this one IMO. The Steelers pass defense has been consistent despite the lack of sacks and turnovers. Also the Steelers offense has improved a lot since last year. Also, Pttsburgh is trying to keep up with the Ravens in the North as well.

I think the Steelers will take a close, hard fought game, which probably won't be decided until the final seconds or in OT.

:Steelers: 23

:Giants: 20

Pitt isn't that great on the road, and the Giants are just getting warmed up.

:Steelers: 17

:Giants: 26

Got the Steelers. I'd could see it going either way, like I told Zack.

Should be a good game. I think both offenses will not have too much problem moving the ball down field and it will be a high scoring game. I think the Giants squeak out the win.

:Steelers: 27

:Giants: 23

Hope the Steelers win but I think the Giants take this one. Giants D-line should exploit a weak Steelers O-line.

:Giants: 24

:Steelers: 23

I picked the Giants in pick em' but I really think the Steelers have a great chance...

Giants - 24

Steelers - 27

Ahmad Bradshaw (foot) is active for Week 9 against the Steelers.

Bradshaw got in extremely few practices reps for the third consecutive week, but should be in for his usual 18-20 touches. He's Rotoworld's No. 14 running back for Week 9.

Inactive for the Giants are LB Keith Rivers, S Kenny Phillips, LB Chase Blackburn, DE Adewale Ojomo, LB Jacquian Williams, TE Adrien Robinson and TE Bear Pascoe.

Jonathan Dwyer (quad) and Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles) are officially inactive for Week 9 against the Giants.

As expected, Isaac Redman will get the start. Redman has shown startlingly little as a runner this season, but locked in to at least 10-12 touches, he's an acceptable flex play. Baron Batch could get some looks on third down.

Also inactive for the Steelers are SS Troy Polamalu, QB Charlie Batch, LB Stevenson Sylvester, OT Marcus Gilbert and NT Alameda Ta'amu.

We forced the Giants to punt on their first two possessions..Let's do something on offense..

IKE TAYLOR! Now let's put some points on the board..

Chris Rainey with a 50 yard kickoff return..We're in their territory once again..Let's score!