Vin

Cowboys @ Falcons

While others might get wrapped up in their status as the NFL's only unbeaten team, coach Mike Smith and the Atlanta Falcons are trying to maintain a different focus.

The Falcons seek to improve to 8-0 on Sunday night when the potentially short-handed Dallas Cowboys visit the Georgia Dome.

Following three tension-filled wins by a combined 12 points, Atlanta (7-0) posted a decisive 30-17 victory over Philadelphia and former Falcons quarterback Michael Vick last Sunday. After spending a portion of their bye week working on the fundamentals, the Falcons allowed a season-low 270 yards while extending the franchise's best start.

"The (previous games) we didn't play as well as we could have," safety Thomas DeCoud said. "But now we're starting to hit our stride."

They jumped out to a 24-7 halftime lead behind three Matt Ryan touchdown passes, including a 63-yarder to Julio Jones, after Ryan had matched a career high with three interceptions in the previous game against Oakland.

In the win over the Eagles, Ryan completed a season-high 75.9 percent of his passes (22 of 29) and Smith collected a franchise-best 50th win in his 71st game with Atlanta.

"We've been fortunate to have a very successful season, play some efficient football," Smith said. "Everyone else is going to concern themselves with (the unbeaten record). We've got to make sure we're preparing for the next game."

The next game will come against a Cowboys team that's dropped three of four, including a 29-24 home loss to NFC East-leading New York last Sunday. Dallas (3-4) nearly pulled off the largest comeback in team history - erasing a 23-0 deficit - but couldn't maintain a one-point lead entering the fourth quarter.

Tony Romo threw for a career-high 437 yards but also had four interceptions. The Cowboys committed six turnovers - their most in one game in five years - but still appeared to score the winning touchdown in the final minute before Dez Bryant's 37-yard catch was overturned on a replay.

"It's to that point in the season where you don't have time," said tight end Jason Witten, who had a franchise-record 18 catches for 167 yards. "Nobody cares about battling. They don't. They want to see you win. ... The clock's ticking. You have to be able to find a way to get on top."

The Cowboys might have to try to do that again without leading rusher DeMarco Murray, who has missed the past two games with a foot injury. Felix Jones had 19 yards on 13 carries in his place Sunday and lost a key fumble in the fourth quarter.

Jones was limited in practice Wednesday by an ailing knee. Bryant (hip) and fellow receiver Kevin Ogletree (hamstring) were held out along with Murray.

"Injuries are inevitable in the NFL," coach Jason Garrett said. "You look all around the league and teams have to deal with them. The teams that have the best depth are usually the teams playing at the end of the year."

If those players are out or limited, the Cowboys might need Witten's help more than ever. The tight end may have some extra motivation as he's only four catches shy of surpassing Michael Irvin's career franchise record of 750.

"He was one of the greatest. So just to be mentioned with Michael Irvin is special," Witten said. "But really until then, my focus is on trying to help this team win."

Witten has 43 receptions for 411 yards over his last four games after making eight catches for 76 yards in his first three contests following a recovery from a lacerated spleen.

His 747 receptions and 8,396 yards are both the third-most by a tight end in NFL history behind Falcons star Tony Gonzalez - who can reach 1,200 catches with five Sunday - and Hall of Famer Shannon Sharpe.

Witten's first NFL reception came during a 27-13 loss to Atlanta on Sept. 7, 2003, and the Cowboys have won the two matchups since then. Miles Austin caught two of Romo's three TDs and had 171 yards in a 37-21 home win in 2009, and Dallas rallied for a 38-28 victory during its most recent visit to the Georgia Dome in 2006.

The Falcons won't have linebacker Sean Weatherspoon available for this matchup due to a right ankle injury. Weatherspoon is second on the team in tackles and sacks.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Upset #2.

Edited by Vin

I have this feeling Dallas wins which I wouldn't mind at all.

I want the Falcons to win but for some reason I think the Cowboys win in an upset. The Falcons haven't went against a defense this good yet this season. This might be the game when Romo delivers one of his good performances. I hope I don't regret this and Romo throws 4 picks or some pick 6's during crucial parts of the game... :troll:

:Cowboys: 27

:Falcons: 21

Even with all that said, I hope the Falcons win.

Edited by dutchff7

Cowboys need wins, and desperately. I think Romo is going to answer critics and take down the last remaining undefeated team. Matt Ryan looks AMAZING, but the Cowboys D is no joke.

Cowboys - 24

Falcons - 17

Dez Bryant (hip) is active for Week 9 against the Falcons.

The Cowboys delayed announcing their inactives, but Bryant will be in the starting lineup opposite Miles Austin. Bryant reportedly looked fine in pre-game warmups, and though he's obviously at less than 100 percent, he's a must start even if you have a late-game alternative.

Inactive for the Cowboys are RB DeMarco Murray, WR Andre Holmes, C Phil Costa, DE Sean Lissemore, LB Dan Connor, S Charlie Peprah and S Matt Johnson.

Falcons declared WLB Sean Weatherspoon, QB Dominique Davis, WR Kevin Cone, OG Garrett Reynolds, OT Lamar Holmes, DT Travian Robertson and DE Jonathan Massaquoi inactive for Week 9 against the Cowboys.

Slot WR Harry Douglas is active after missing Week 8 with an ankle injury. Mike Peterson and Akeem Dent will pick up the slack in Weatherspoon's absence. Weatherspoon is week-to-week.

Interesting decision by Romo on 3rd and goal. I thought he could have ran it in. Cowboys settle for a FG.

3-0 Dallas

Wow, Matt Bryant with a rare miss.

:) I'm playing against him in fantasy.

Solid drive by the Falcons at the end of the half. Bryant nails the FG to tie it up at six.

There is no reason for this offense to be so stagnant, and the offensive line just killed us in the second half. They played great for one half and then for however many running plays during the first drive of the second; Then they went to shit.

Dallas has been shutting other teams passing games down all season so far. So this is a huge win for us in a defensive struggle. Our defense is showing up every week.

I am trying to figure out why ESPN and NFL Network is saying that the Falcons offense was so "bad" last night. They obviously haven't watched Dallas' games this year. Did Matt Ryan get any touchdowns? No. I believe that I, and all Falcons fans around can live with that against a top 5 ranked pass defense. Actually, I think before the game they said they were the 2nd ranked pass defense right now in the league. At least before last night. Matt Ryan through for near 350 yards, Roddy and Julio both went over 100 yards. They didn't see the touchdowns. DeMarcus Ware was destroying our offensive line which has been hit or miss all season. Last night they were miss. When the Falcons got in the red zone they had every intention of trying to let Turner pound the ball into the endzone, it didn't happen until the 4th quarter. We had 2 missed field goals out of a guy who RARELY misses field goals. With that said, I'd say we played a pretty good game.

We showed that we can compete in a defensive struggle as well. Yet, the Falcons will get no credit at all because they haven't won any playoff games. Pathetic. Just like last week when the Falcons destroyed the Eagles, it was all about the Eagles. This week, it's all about the Cowboys. What happens if they beat the Giants next week? I suppose it will be all about the Giants and how bad the Giants are looking because they also lost to Pittsburgh, right? Coverage, and people on forums are getting so ridiculous. You can talk about schedule strength all you want, but it's been proved in the NFL that anyone can win on any given week. The Steelers LOST to the Raiders, and they are starting to turn back into AFC superbowl favorites. The Texans were DESTROYED by the Packers, and they are still favorites. Yet, the reason the Falcons get no credit for being undefeated is because they failed to win a playoff game?

Completely different and un-matured Falcons team failed to win a playoff game. This is a different team. They've shown when the going is tough they can win the game. That's what it should be about. You can talk all you want about scoring only 2 points last season, but the point of the matter is irrelevant because this is a completely new team. New defensive coordinator, new offensive coordinator, Matt Ryan playing at a higher level compared to even previous regular seasons, Julio Jones finally coming into his own, Roddy White even more of a weapon. The defense is stepping up and looking like they are a factor in every game so far. No team is perfect, and our team is far from it. Everyone will point to the 2 point playoff loss. But if you really want to point to something, point to the close game against the Raiders this year. It's obvious the Falcons' weakness is their offensive line. The Raiders showed that to everyone with their blitzes and 4 man basic pass rush.

The Falcons are 8-0. That's all that matters right now.