housemd

Jags make line-up changes

Coach Mike Mularkey confirmed Monday that he will stick with Jalen Parmele as the Jaguars' starting tailback in Week 12 versus Tennessee.

Rashad Jennings has been demoted due to ineffectiveness. The Titans do not have an imposing run defense, so Parmele will be on the flex radar after rushing 24 times for 80 yards and catching three passes against a stout Texans defense in Week 11. Although he's managed just 3.6 yards per carry in his career, Parmele ran a 4.47 forty at 6-foot, 222 during the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine. He's more of a straight-line runner in the Jackie Battle mold.

Good. Jags have benched two of the most ineffective players in the league the same week... I feel bad for whoever they play next.

It'd be nice if we could get some good production from Parmele, but I think the offense is going to come crashing back down to Earth next week, even though we're playing the Titans. The Texans game was our game to finally have breaks go our way, I don't expect it to continue, especially since we're playing at home next week.

I also expect Gabbert to be plugged back in at starter whenever he's healthy.

As bad as Jennings was Karim was worse. Surprised they found a talented player at runningback behind MJD. Even more surprised he wasn't the immediate backup to begin with. Parmele can't possibly be as bad as either guy.

It'd be nice if we could get some good production from Parmele, but I think the offense is going to come crashing back down to Earth next week, even though we're playing the Titans. The Texans game was our game to finally have breaks go our way, I don't expect it to continue, especially since we're playing at home next week.

I also expect Gabbert to be plugged back in at starter whenever he's healthy.

I'm curious.

Do you think they do this just to continue to see what they have, or do you think he should retain the starting job because he is better than Henne?

I'm curious.

Do you think they do this just to continue to see what they have, or do you think he should retain the starting job because he is better than Henne?

Henne starts this week because he earned it, especially with Blaine hurt, but I think Blaine should get the job back once he gets healthy. It's not that he's better than Henne, it's that we still don't know what we have in Blaine (We get a quarter of good here and there, but then an injury happens, or a turnover happens that puts us into a hole that we can't recover from.)

I would personally take Blaine over Henne. I saw how bad he was in the preseason (yeah, I know the preseason doesn't matter, but he was bad and that was against the #2s. Our 3rd stringer even looked better than he did), I saw how bad he was against the Raiders, and one fluke game (because as of now, that's what it was) isn't enough to make me forget about that.

These two comments that were responded to today in the daily column on the Jags' official site share my thoughts.

Donny from Heathrow, FL: I just read Chad Henneicon-article-link.gif is starting Sunday regardless of Blaine Gabberticon-article-link.gif's health. That's a big mistake unless Mike Mularkey and Gene Smith have given up on Gabbert at this point. Henne played better than anytime he was with the Dolphins (a career game). What I saw was good, not great, quarterback play and decent offensive line protection, only a few balls dropped, fantastic yardage-after-catch and receivers finally making big plays. These are things that Gabbert rarely has benefited from all season. What are they gonna do if Henne stinks it up again this week...turn back to Gabbert and tell him they still believe in him?

John: That is what made the decision a difficult one. There is no indication that Mularkey was thinking about anything but Sunday's game when he announced Henne as the starter. What will happen if Henne plays well? What will happen if he plays poorly? Only time will tell. Instinct and history would tell you it's tough to go back to him, but in the NFL, things change by the week and sometimes quicker than that.

Nick from Washington, DC: If Gabbert had 150 YAC from receivers, a productive running game, quality pass protection, and no dumb penalties from the whole offense, he could have looked just as good. The whole season the Jaguars' offense hasn't been bad for just one reason; it's been for a lot of reasons. And a lot of those areas that are typically sources of problems for the Jaguars were not this past week. Chad Henne doesn't deserve credit for the fact that three other aspects of the offense finally played well. You don't give up on a three-year investment 1.5 years in when giving up now produces no short-term or long-term benefit. This is lunacy.

John: I don't know that it's lunacy, but we've gotten a lot of emails on both sides of the issue. Many people are interpreting the move as a permanent one that means Gabbert's done in Jacksonville, and others see it as a short-term decision for this week. Only time will tell. With quarterbacks, there is a tendency to make sweeping judgments because they're so critical to the franchise. At this point, we know what we know – that Henne will start, that the decision was performance-based and that Henne would start whether or not Gabbert is healthy. That will be interpreted various ways this week, and time will tell how it plays out.

Edited by Vin

Welp.

Jaguars placed Blaine Gabbert (forearm, shoulder) and Laurent Robinson (concussion) on injured reserve, ending their seasons.

Gabbert sustained a right forearm injury last week and will eventually need surgery on his left shoulder. Backup Chad Henne has also exposed just how bad Gabbert has been by sparking a previous dormant offense against the Texans last week, throwing for 354 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. Henne was likely to stick as the Jags' starter the rest of the way even if Gabbert got healthy. At this point, the 2011 No. 10 overall pick can no longer be considered a franchise quarterback. He went 1-9 as a sophomore, completing just 58.3 percent of his passes while throwing nine touchdowns against six interceptions. The Jags would be wise to show interest in West Virginia's Geno Smith or USC's Matt Barkley come April's draft.

Source: Mark Long on Twitter

Jaguars signed QB Jordan Palmer.

Palmer has been on the street since getting waived at final cuts by the Jags. Carson's brother is back now thanks to Blaine Gabbert's season-ending forearm and shoulder injuries. He'll caddy for Chad Henne.

Source: Mark Long on Twitter

Jaguars signed WR Carlton Mitchell.

A 2010 sixth-round pick of the Browns, Mitchell has three career catches in 16 games. He'll be depth with Laurent Robinson (concussions) landing on injured reserve. Look for Kevin Elliot and Michael Spurlock to act as the No. 3 wideout behind starters Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts.

I like what the Jags have at WR going forward. If Blackmon can be that guy and throw in a little Cecil Shorts--that's a nice 1-2 punch.

Blackmon had one good game, let's see if it was a fluke or not. This one of Henne's better games too, but not what we've come to expect. The Jags are crashing back to earth this week.

Man I wish we had never let parmele go, he was stuck behind RR who is obviously the better back, but Parmele could be a solid back in this league. I liked him a lot and was a little peeved when they cut him.

Coach Mike Mularkey admitted that he doesn't know if Laurent Robinson (IR, concussions) will play again.

Robinson has sustained four concussions in the last four months. The career of Jags LB Clint Session is likely over due to a similar string of blows to the head. "Each guy is different," Mularkey said. "Hopefully Laurent can come back from it, but I don't know. Clint hasn't yet." Robinson is owed $2.6 million in base salary in 2013.

Source: Florida Times Union

If Laurent has to retire because of concussions, do the Jags still owe him that money?!

Unless they've changed something in one of the more recent CBAs, it seems that the answer is yes.