Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Facebook and Religion

I've got a couple of points I want to discuss with people.

Expressing faith on Facebook has become more and more common, and while I'm OK with that, I'm tired of seeing people post pictures of Jim Caviezel's mangled body (that's Jim Caviezel, hoss, not Jesus Christ) or aborted fetuses. Seriously, I log on, scroll down, and almost vomit on a daily basis (not literally, I have a strong stomach, but imagine this for the people who don't).

How do you feel about people posting these pictures? While we can't deny their right to do so, this question must be posed: is it a real expression of faith, or is it just like The Passion of the Christ--more shock value than anything?

And I ask this question because I think shock value is entirely momentary. It does not leave a lasting impression on anybody who isn't gullible as a five year old who thinks a jolly fat red man leaves his or her presents under the tree.

Shock value doesn't accomplish anything that leaves a lasting impact. People have already forgotten about The Passion, as they should have.

I'm excited to see everybody else's opinions.

Shock value, tugging on people's emotional strings to get them to "convert" is all a bunch of crap.

It's why Billy Graham's crusades only had about 5% of people who "got saved" continue living Christian lives a year after their conversion.

There is a time and place for posting certain things, as it can stir up people who may have taken something for granted- the picture of the aborted fetuses for example. It can get people asking, "Wait a minute, we actually condone doing this?" and lead them into more research on the subject.

Facebook isn't that place, not IMO.

• Upvote 1

I don't ever go on Facebook, really, and Shotgun's post is a large part of the reason why. I don't give a shit about anyone's fauxpinions or any other such drivel, so I stay away from it.

Outside of people aggrandizing their moral views all I ever see is a bunch of middle school drama and people ripping off quotes from actually clever people and taking credit for it so that 73746372 people on their wall will tell them how funny and amazing they are. Oh, and how did I forget the girls that have this incessant need to post picture after picture of themselves so, again, 73746372 people can tell them how beautiful they are.

Fuck Facebook so much, lol.

• Upvote 2

I don't ever go on Facebook, really, and Shotgun's post is a large part of the reason why. I don't give a shit about anyone's fauxpinions or any other such drivel, so I stay away from it.

Outside of people aggrandizing their moral views all I ever see is a bunch of middle school drama and people ripping off quotes from actually clever people and taking credit for it so that 73746372 people on their wall will tell them how funny and amazing they are. Oh, and how did I forget the girls that have this incessant need to post picture after picture of themselves so, again, 73746372 people can tell them how beautiful they are.

Fuck Facebook so much, lol.

I completely agree, man. I actually post quotes, but almost always use quotation marks unless it's a quote that most people will know.

And duck faces, man. So stupid.

Facebook often teaches me how unattractive some people really are, and I don't mean that in the physical sense. I'm talking about that girl you think is pretty but then she posts some dumb dramatic shit you'd expect to see from a thirteen year old, or that guy who feels it necessary to post gym pics because he subconsciously questions his masculinity on a daily basis. Facebook has two purposes, in my book. Keeping up with friends from far away and sheer entertainment value.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Guest Phailadelphia

That stuff annoys the living hell out of me. Much the same way some people post "I'm praising God that my son's leg surgery was successful!" Wait, God performed that surgery? Well fuck me I must living in an alternate reality!

But alas, 99% of my family is religious so I have to just keep my mouth shut and keep scrolling. I reserve those opinions for places like TGP where I won't be burned at the stake for admitting I think religion is a sham.

The things that disgust me the most are so called "religion wars". They might not be common for USA, but they certainly are for the area I live in.

I see lots of these on daily basis, mostly teenagers of my age or younger than me threatening and insulting other teenagers of different religion. This first starts as simple Facebook discussion between Eastern Orthodox people and Muslims(or Catholics). Both sides use all kinds of insults and just when you think this will end in peace, those "discussions" become large group fights.

The saddest thing is that youngsters make all sorts of "hate other religion" Facebook pages just to promote themselves and look like tough guys. Screw that.

Fuck Facebook.

**Edit, just read Zack's post he's a crafty mofo - we think alike.

Edited by NaTaS

It absolutely grinds my gear to see that stuff.

FB is falling off a cliff, I've deleted over 200 friends and I hardly get on anymore because a lot of that stuff is just dumb, and not just the religious stuff either.

I'm cool with people putting up statuses about religious stuff, especially verses, but the pics and such is just going overboard. Someone tagged me in a pic of clouds with a caption saying, "share this photo if you see Jesus in this cloud"... And I wanted to smash my laptop repeatedly.

I just hide people who annoy me, to be honest.

All this Facebook talk prompted me to purge my friends list finally. A few years ago I was all, "yeah, whatever, add me". Took me over an hour.

<--- Dumbass

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

It irritates the living shit out of me to be honest. I hate it when people post the religious things that try to guilt you into feeling like shit for not being perfect. I also hate the attention whore posts that are just there to garner a shitload of likes such as the "hit like if you love Jesus" shit. Yeah we get it you are just religious when people watch because no self respecting religious person feels the need to justify their faith to everybody else because they are at complete and total peace with how they express their faith and dont need faith to validate it.

Then there is the whole lets start a movement thing. The Kony thing, The disaster relief things, the abortion things, the political activists, the animal activists, the civil rights mofos, the feel good bitches, the bra burners and feminazi's, just to name a few. They are fucking annoying because they are super politically motivated and active on facebook and then get off their computer and call each other bitches or racial slurs and blah blah blah. Fucking douches.

Then there is a new one. The, "Shopped !!!!!" corwd. No shit motherfucker how many uncorns have you hever heard flying out of a pigs ass that is fucking a chihuahua that is blowing a donkey. You come in and think you have some earth shattering revelation that it is photo shopped, your mother should have swallowed you.

Lets not forget the "First" people. Yeah you were first to post and your contribution to the conversation is letting us know that you can count to one...good for you. Now do the Stavi wave.

And lets not forget overbearing family. I am all for family although me and most of mine can not stand each other, but I am well aware most people actually enjoy family. Even at that I dont want them knowing everything I do always try talking to me and invite me to great aunt esthers who is tuning 97 and half and smells like cottage cheese and prunes who I met once in my life as told mestories of people I have never met.....FUCK.

Then you get those people you met once who want ot add you. Ok you sneezed I said, "God Bless you" WE are not related, friends, acquaintances or anything of the sort. It was a gesture of habit leave it at that. Or the high school douche that wants to catch up later and see how you are. No thanks I though your dad should have settled for a blowjob then and think the same now...I ignored you the first time so you would catch the hint.

I have less than 100 people on my Facebook and am still convinced that is about twice as many as I need, I am going to be getting rid of it altogether when I am stateside.

It is fucking irritating.

:goodell:

I support these people's right to post that stuff, but I most definitely do not post it. This is because of a passage from the Bible:

"5 And now about prayer. When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I assure you, that is all the reward they will ever get. 6 But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly. Then your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you."

(Matthew 6)

How interesting that so many Christians choose to ignore passages like this.

Edited by WindyCitySports

I support these people's right to post that stuff, but I most definitely do not post it. This is because of a passage from the Bible:

(Matthew 6)

How interesting that so many Christians choose to ignore passages like this.

"Christians".

You shall know them by their works.
Edited by Thanatos19

I think this pretty well sums up my thoughts on the matter:

-az0qZFYFECaAo2kR-xu0Q2.jpg

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1