Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Vikings @ Texans

While Adrian Peterson continues his pursuit of a long-standing NFL record, he's also helped run the Minnesota Vikings into position for a playoff spot.

The road to achieve both gets tougher for Peterson and the visiting Vikings when they try for a third straight victory Sunday against the Houston Texans, who need one win to clinch home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs.

Less than a year after suffering a torn ACL and MCL, Peterson continues to amaze while leading the NFL with a career-best 1,812 rushing yards on 289 carries. He's the only player averaging more than 100 yards per game (129.4) and is third in the league at 6.3 per carry - more than teammate Christian Ponder is averaging per pass attempt (5.95).

Peterson, who ran for a season-high 212 yards on 24 carries in a 36-22 win at St. Louis last Sunday, has averaged 164.1 yards during a stretch of eight consecutive games with at least 100.

"Nobody probably has ever done it better than he's doing it in this stretch," Houston coach Gary Kubiak said.

That remarkable run has left Peterson needing 294 yards in two games to break Eric Dickerson's single-season record of 2,105, set in 1984 with the Los Angeles Rams.

"It's something that I'm not focusing on, it's in the back of my mind, but I want to accomplish that," said Peterson, whose previous career high was 1,760 yards in 2008. "I want to let the chips fall where they may."

As much as Peterson would like the record, his first priority is helping Minnesota (8-6) reach the playoffs for the first time since the 2009 season. The Vikings currently hold the final wild-card spot in the NFC, although various tiebreaking scenarios make their grip on that position tenuous.

"The record would be great," coach Leslie Frazier said. "But the most important thing is to get a win in Houston. And the fact that he feels that way, that will permeate through the rest of our team. He wants to really concentrate on winning this game, more so than the record."

Looking to match a season high with their third consecutive victory, the Vikings face a stiff test this weekend. In addition to owning the AFC's best record, Houston (12-2) has the fifth-ranked run defense in the NFL, allowing 93.2 yards per game and a league-low three rushing touchdowns.

The Texans clinched their second straight AFC South title with last Sunday's 29-17 win over Indianapolis, and they can secure the conference's top seed with one more win or one more loss by both New England and Denver.

"It'd be huge for this team because playing at home in this league and having the benefit of your crowd and getting off on cadence and all those types of things, it's a big, big factor in success in this league," Kubiak said. "We worked hard to get to the playoffs. We worked hard to win a division and now we got to continue that same effort to try to find a way to possibly be a one seed in this playoff hunt."

Arian Foster increased his total to 1,313 rushing yards by posting a season-high 165 against the Colts while Andre Johnson caught 11 passes for 151 yards and a TD. Johnson, who has 93 receptions for an AFC-leading 1,360 yards, caught 12 balls for 170 yards and two touchdowns in a 34-28 overtime loss in 2004 the only previous time Houston hosted Minnesota.

Though the Texans rank among the NFL leaders in averaging 28.1 points and 386.8 total yards, Kubiak is a bit concerned after his offense scored a touchdown in the first quarter last weekend then settled for four field goals the rest of the way.

"It was disappointing because we could have really put some points on the board," Kubiak said. "You only get so many opportunities in this business and boy, you have to take advantage of them."

Peterson is getting his first opportunity to play an NFL game in Houston, 150 miles from his hometown of Palestine, Texas. He ran for 139 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries in Minnesota's 28-21 home victory over the Texans on Nov. 2, 2008.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Vikings declared DE Brian Robison (shoulder) inactive for Sunday's Week 16 game against the Texans.

Robison sustained a Grade 3, or most severe sprain, against the Rams last week. Everson Griffin will start at left and and George Johnson is active after getting called up from the practice squad earlier this week.

The rest of the Vikings' inactives: QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, WR Stephen Burton, CB Brandon Burton, LB Audie Cole, OL Troy Kropog and DE D'Aundre Ree.

Texans declared CB Alan Ball (foot) inactive for Sunday's Week 16 game against the Vikings.

Ball hasn't played since going down against the Lions on Thanksgiving. It's not a huge concern with Jonathan Joseph (hamstring, groin) back healthy. The Texans will be going all-out Sunday in an effort to clinch the AFC's No. 1 seed. They could very well rest their stars in Week 17.

The rest of their inactives: DB Quintin Demps, CB Stanford Routt, OL Antoine Caldwell, OL Andrew Gardner, OG Cody White and DL Terrell McClain.

Well... they've effectively shut down AP from the looks of it. At least Ponder kind of picked it up.

At least we won... :yep:

EDIT: That was at fucking Houston? FUCK YEAH MOTHERFUCKER!

Edited by Vikingfan465

I knew I should have picked Minnesota. Told folks all week that Houston was overrated and that it'd at least be a good game. Little did I know that Minnesota would march in and whup that ass.

This says more about Houston than Minnesota, though.

Thank you, Minny. :yep:

Just need the Pats to take care of business next week, and the Colts to beat the Texans for the Pats to get a bye. :rock:

Houston has to go to Indy next week with Chuck Pagano back on the sidelines, that crowd is going to be electric.

Don't choke on your cocks Houston. :troll:

Another piss poor showing from the offense this week. Props to the Vikings defense, they definitely won the game for 'em. They absolutely manhandled the o-line all game. The Texans seem to be as bipolar as the weather in Houston. No telling what team will show up. All I can hope for is for them to get their shit together come playoffs. I actually want to thank the Vikings for knocking them off the high horse this team's mentality seems to have been riding. Kubiak also needs to nut up and quit his conservative play-calling with stupid dinks and dunks on 3rd and long.

I hope they can take out their anger on Andrew Luck again, because if they blow the #1 seed they don't even deserve to be taken seriously at all in the playoffs.

Fuck it, let's throw Sage back under center! FUCK YEAH ROSENCOPTER!

sage_rosenfels_upiphotos894937_nfl_ravens_texans.jpg

For me, Matt Schaub has moved himself out of the top 10 discussion. Philip Rives have moved out of the top 6. Matt Ryan has moved into the top 10. RG3 has moved into the top 10. Lots of QB ranking movement this year.

Dare I say the Texans are getting exposed? I was fine with them getting blown out against the Patriots because, well, it's the Patriots, but only putting up 6 points against Minnesota despite shutting down Adrian Peterson? This team screams "one and done" right now, I hate to say...

Everyone is ignoring the fact that Houston lost Arian Foster, who is a huge part of their offense, as he was taken to the hospital with an irregular heartbeat in the middle of the second quarter. That's why Houston's offense went nowhere.

Assuming Foster is okay, Houston will also be okay.

Everyone is ignoring the fact that Houston lost Arian Foster, who is a huge part of their offense, as he was taken to the hospital with an irregular heartbeat in the middle of the second quarter. That's why Houston's offense went nowhere.

He hadn't done a thing all game, and Matt Schaub was trash all day. Were you able to watch the game? I understand your Foster point if you hadn't watched, but Minnesota dominated this game from beginning to end.

I was about to +1 this post until I got to the last sentence. I'm not sure Houston will "be okay," given what they've done this season.

Teams they've beat:

Dolphins

Jaguars (twice)

Broncos

Titans (twice)

Jets

Ravens

Bills

Bears

Lions

Colts

The only impressive wins on here are against Denver and Chicago. The Denver win was back in week 3, before Peyton really hit his stride (and it was by 6 points), and the Chicago win was by 7 points.

Now, look at the teams Houston has lost to:

Packers

Patriots

Vikings

Given this team's resume, they don't look like they're going to do much damage in the playoffs.

I was about to +1 this post until I got to the last sentence. I'm not sure Houston will "be okay," given what they've done this season.

Teams they've beat:

Dolphins

Jaguars (twice)

Broncos

Titans (twice)

Jets

Ravens

Bills

Bears

Lions

Colts

The only impressive wins on here are against Denver and Chicago. The Denver win was back in week 3, before Peyton really hit his stride (and it was by 6 points), and the Chicago win was by 7 points.

Now, look at the teams Houston has lost to:

Packers

Patriots

Vikings

Given this team's resume, they don't look like they're going to do much damage in the playoffs.

Eh, doesn't really mean much.

Pats had an outstanding resume in 2010 (8-1 against teams above .500) and shit the bed in the Divisional round against the Jets (same team they beat 45-3 several weeks prior). They had a much worse resume last year (0-2 against teams above .500), and still made it to the Super Bowl.

I still think Houston is still very much a legit thread to make it to New Orleans.

Don't get me wrong, anything can happen in the playoffs, any given Sunday, etc. I think we all realize that. I'm just saying that if I'm a betting man, I don't feel comfortable putting money on Houston to make noise in January. But they certainly have the talent to do it.

Don't get me wrong, anything can happen in the playoffs, any given Sunday, etc. I think we all realize that. I'm just saying that if I'm a betting man, I don't feel comfortable putting money on Houston to make noise in January. But they certainly have the talent to do it.

I just see them as having a very easy road to the AFCCG, where they will have to beat either Denver or New England. I don't mean okay as being my favorite to get to the Superbowl, but I think they play Baltimore in the divisional round, in Houston, and I'd take the Texans in that matchup. Flacco on the road? Yeah.

He hadn't done a thing all game, and Matt Schaub was trash all day. Were you able to watch the game? I understand your Foster point if you hadn't watched, but Minnesota dominated this game from beginning to end.

Oh well, maybe he didn't do much all game because *he was sick and was taken to the hospital later in the game with an irregular heartbeat.* He was sick all game long, bud, they just finally figured out that it was serious and he needed to go to the hospital rather than play out the game.

I'm not saying Houston would have won the game had he been at 100%, but it would have been a totally different ball-game. Let's not act like Minny is a bad ball-club, either, they are 9-6 with wins over the Niners and Texans now.

I just see them as having a very easy road to the AFCCG, where they will have to beat either Denver or New England. I don't mean okay as being my favorite to get to the Superbowl, but I think they play Baltimore in the divisional round, in Houston, and I'd take the Texans in that matchup. Flacco on the road? Yeah.

Given how shitty the AFC is this year beyond the top 3 teams, you do have a point.

In the beginning of the year, I thought the Texans were the most balanced team in the league. I don't know what happened, but they have been getting exposed in the 2nd half of the season, especially on defense.

By the way, props to the Vikings. Didn't think they stood much of a shot going into Houston and winning this game. I'm rooting for them to make the playoffs.