BLUE

Update: Jets hire Seattle's Idzik as general manager

Per Rotoworld.com:

League sources tell CBS the Jets are planning to replace GM Mike Tannenbaum, but hope to keep him in a "cap management role."

The Jets are reportedly already "reaching out" to potential GM candidates. However, according to reporter Jason La Canfora, candidates are having "significant issues with the parameters." Tannenbaum has not only failed as a talent evaluator, but as a cap manager, handing out many terrible contracts. There would also be the matter of him looming over his replacement's head. "That's totally ridiculous," one executive said of the proposed setup. "Only the Jets." We couldn't have said it better ourselves. The good news for Jets fans, however, is that at the very least, it appears Tannenbaum will no longer be overseeing the draft and free agency. The Jets might finally have a chance in player evaluation. Dec 24 - 1:14 PM

Source: CBSSports.com

Edited by BLUE

Lmao. The Jets are such a joke. How awkward would that be not only for the new guy, but for Tannenbaum? If you come to the conclusion that he has failed, you kick his bum *** out the door. Period.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8795617/new-york-jets-fire-mike-tannenbaum-rex-ryan-keep-job

General manager Mike Tannenbaum became the first casualty of theNew York Jets' disappointing season.

Tannenbaum, who has run the football operation since 2006, was fired Monday, owner Woody Johnson announced in a statement. Rex Ryan will remain as coach, according to Johnson.

A search for a new GM will commence immediately.

I think this is the right move by the Jets to keep Rex and fire Tannenbaum. I don't think Rex is a bad coach, you can't do much when you're working with the QB's he has.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8795617/new-york-jets-fire-mike-tannenbaum-rex-ryan-keep-job

I think this is the right move by the Jets to keep Rex and fire Tannenbaum. I don't think Rex is a bad coach, you can't do much when you're working with the QB's he has.

This is exactly what I wanted. I give Rex another year but if we're not back at least truly competing for a playoff spot he has to go too.

This is exactly what I wanted. I give Rex another year but if we're not back at least truly competing for a playoff spot he has to go too.

I agree with you on this. I think part of the reason why he wasn't fired after this current season was that he looked more serious this season, and the bullshit associated with Rex Ryan in the past was thankfully not there this season. Hopefully Rex Ryan has better players to work with next season, but if he doesn't improve on this season final record, than he should be sacked at the end of next season.

I like that Rex is staying, their D was still top 10. Now get a fucking competent offense/offensive coaches!!

Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen is reportedly "gaining support" for the team's general manager vacancy.

Interviewing for a second time on Tuesday, Falcons exec David Caldwell is in the mix as well. According to CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora, 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble's "star is not as bright with the Jets right now." Gamble had once been considered the favorite. We suspect he followed ex-Browns GM Tom Heckert in souring on the job due to concerns over the salary cap situation and talent void on the roster. In addition to the Jets, the Browns are said to be "keeping an eye" on Cohen for their own vacancy.

Source: Jason LaCanfora on Twitter

God fucking damn it

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN - Jets will interview Steelers executive Omar Khan for vacant GM job tomorrow, per source. #nyj

How can we possibly keep him on in any capacity? Just one more example of this whole organization being a joke. What front line potential GM is going to want to take this job?

The Jets will interview John Idzik for their general manager vacancy Wednesday.

The Jets can't seem to give this job away. Idzik is currently the Seahawks' vice president of administration, overseeing contract negotiations and the salary cap. He joins a candidate list that includes incumbent assistant GM Scott Cohen, ex-Bears GM Jerry Angelo, and Steelers cap guru Omar Khan.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

ESPN New York reports the Jets could hire a new GM as early as Thursday, and that Seattle's John Idzik and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan are the favorites.

Idzik and Khan were both given second interviews this week. Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen is also a finalist, but the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports New York wants to go with an "external candidate." That could mean problems for coach Rex Ryan down the line.

Source: ESPN New York

Aren't the Steelers facing cap difficulties? If so, not sure Khan is the best hire. But then again, the Jets can't seem to give the job away, so I guess they can't be picky at this point.

Good luck to whoever takes this job. They have some talent there, but the team also has too many me first and lazy players.

Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Per Rotoworld.com:

Jets hired former Seahawks VP of Football Administration John Idzik as general manager.

Although Idzik dabbled in personnel evaluation under John Schneider and Pete Carroll in Seattle, his primary strength was salary-cap management, similar to old Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum. The Idzik hire means coach Rex Ryan should have almost complete control over the Jets' roster, which will be viewed in many circles as a risky proposition. Ryan is a football coach, not a scout. And Idzik isn't a scout, either. The Jets' roster has deteriorated so suddenly over the past 3-4 seasons because they've struggled mightily with player evaluation. Jan 18 - 4:10 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Interesting hire he was great with contracts don't remember him having anything do with player personnel other then that though.

Updating previous items, new GM John Idzik will have final say over New York's 53-man roster as part of his responsibilities with the Jets.

The Jets' fourth GM in 13 years, Idzik's background is primarily in salary cap management and business decisions. He has minimal experience with player evaluation or scouting. As ESPN New York has put it, the Idzik hire is an "extension of the Mike Tannenbaum model," with essentially a cap guy controlling player acquisition. The Tannenbaum model didn't work out so well, to put it mildly. Rex Ryan will not have increased personnel control. Either way, it's easy to see why the Jets had such a hard time getting anyone to take their general manager job.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

:think: So you hire a guy who has little to no experience evaluating talent and give him final say over the 53 man roster? Sounds like a very bad idea.

I think that he needs to make a business decision an can both Sanchez and Tebow.

Looking at this, it's just another poor move by the New York Jets. It will never change I suppose.

Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum took full responsibility for and confirmed that the Tim Tebow trade was his idea.

"It's just a trade that didn't work out," Tannenbaum said. "Ultimately that was my decision to trade for Tim. We thought there was a role for him. We thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic." Tannenbaum confirms that owner Woody Johnson was initially reluctant, but the trio, along with Rex Ryan, pursued it and made the deal happen. Hopefully this puts the Tebow drama to bed. He's fully expected to be released by the Jets this offseason.

Source: ESPN New York

Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum admits the five-year, $58.25 million extension he gave Mark Sanchez last March "doesn’t look very good."

"Our thinking on that was Mark is only one of five QBs in the history of pro football to win 30 or more games in his first three years," Tannenbaum said Tuesday. "Get cost certainty from a standpoint of we know what he’s going to cost and he gets the benefit of some security." Tannenbaum also insisted the Jets' cap situation isn't as dire as it's been portrayed. "You’ll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. ... There’s a very detailed plan there." New GM John Idzik can only hope.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger