Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Chiefs (Andy Reid) QB search

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be the best fit for an Andy Reid Chiefs team?

• Matt Cassell
    • Matt Flynn
    • Alex Smith
    • Michael Vick
    • Use 1st overall pick on a QB

Who would be the best fit for an Andy Reid Kansas City Chiefs team? Can Reid formally known as a QB guru develop a system for Cassell or show the Chiefs make a move for some of these other possible QB suitors?

Or use the 1st overall pick on a QB?

Edited by dutchff7

Cassell and Vick are bad. Flynn is an unknown, and at this present time no QB is worth the #1 overall pick (though I'm sure this will changes like it always does during the combine and pro days).

Winner: Alex Smith

Like I said in the other thread, the Chief's mentality has to be QB in the draft or bust. You take the highest rated QB with the #1 pick.

And unless if he's uber raw, he should start imo, so grabbing a guy to start over him in FA would be pointless.

Lol. You don't take your highest rated QB at #1 overall if he isn't worth the #1 overall pick. Andy isn't THAT stupid. They should take the highest rated player on their board, and draft a QB later on.

• Upvote 1

Right, because drafting a QB later has worked a whole lot for teams in the past. Seattle got the benefit of drafting a player who was overlooked because of his height.

Its clear by now that if the past 2 seasons have been an indication of anything, the QBs are gonna be flying off the board in the first. Good luck finding a talented QB out of the 1st.

Right, because drafting a QB later has worked a whole lot for teams in the past. Seattle got the benefit of drafting a player who was overlooked because of his height.

Its clear by now that if the past 2 seasons have been an indication of anything, the QBs are gonna be flying off the board in the first. Good luck finding a talented QB out of the 1st.

In most draft classes, I would agree with you. In one this weak? Why waste your 1st overall pick on a QB when no QB is worth that spot.

As I have said earlier, this is what Andy does best. If he can do ANYTHING in KC... It will be implementing his system and finding a QB to run that system. No point in making a major reach.... Chiefs need and deserve Reid and Co. to take the best player available.

Trade back if you can (although I find that unlikely). But don't throw the pick away...

• Upvote 1

Drafting a QB #1 overall in this draft class would be a horrible move. The talent level won't equate to the draft pick. It would be such a waste of a #1 over all pick. You get the best player on the board and trade down to other QBs in later rounds. You get the best impact player. The Draft pick has to equal to the player. That's how you end up with #1 over all bust like Jamarcus Russell.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

Except there are QBs in this year's draft class worthy of a #1 pick. This is like a played out song that gets replayed every single season outside of last year.

Compared to last year's class they don't stack up against RGIII and Luck, but you won't get another class like that for a while.

Drafting a QB in a draft class that sucks of a $1 over all pick. The talent level won't equate to the draft pick. It would be such a waste of a #1 over all pick. You get the best player on the board and trade down to other QBs in later rounds. You get the best impact player. The Draft pick has to equal to the player. That's how you end up with #1 over all bust like Jamarcus Russell.

This type of thinking to me makes absolutely no sense.

How many people thought Cam Newton would be a bust?

Through two years, how many of them were right?

Drafting a QB in a draft class that sucks of a $1 over all pick. The talent level won't equate to the draft pick. It would be such a waste of a #1 over all pick. You get the best player on the board and trade down to other QBs in later rounds. You get the best impact player. The Draft pick has to equal to the player. That's how you end up with #1 over all bust like Jamarcus Russell.

Amen. #1 overall needs to be a guy that is going to make a huge impact for your football team. \

Which QB are you taking #1, Dmac?

Its way too early for me to say something like that. But I do think they have the potential to be sure fire franchise QBs.

I'm not saying reach for a guy, if you absolutely don't see them as a franchise QB, but I am saying take him if you think he has a legit shot at being a franchise QB (and those two guys definitely do), even if he isn't the best player available.

Edit: Bad grammar and stuff

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

SO there IS a QB worth that #1 selection, you just don't know who. Get back to me on that one. :laugh:

Geno Smith has been viewed as a guy that should go in the top 5 since the first weeks of the college football season. Just because I think its too early to decide on which QB between the top 2-3 should go #1 it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Bottom line is the Chiefs have been settling for castoffs to succeed instead of investing on their own. If you have the opportunity to grab a franchise QB with your #1 pick in today's NFL you have to pull the trigger.

Too bad Johnny Football can't even declare lol. He'd be the only one worth picking #1.

I will admit that I like Aaron Murray as a pro prospect, but he's not a #1 overall pick.

Too bad Johnny Football can't even declare lol. He'd be the only one worth picking #1.

I will admit that I like Aaron Murray as a pro prospect, but he's not a #1 overall pick.

Oh ya. When I say I wouldn't take one of them #1 overall, i am just saying nobody is worth THAT selection. I know it's early and I haven't done a lot of research on the draft yet, but there are a couple of guys i am looking at and liking just as a prospect. Just not as a 1st overall kind of selection, if ya get me. :yep:

Alex Smith gon get paid this off-season. Easily the best option at QB available via FA or draft. Teams are DESPERATE for a QB. Alex Smith might not be the greatest, but he's sure as hell better than lmaoMikePick or any other loser QB in this year's draft class.

• Upvote 1

What about Mike Glennon?

Like I said in the other thread, the Chief's mentality has to be QB in the draft or bust. You take the highest rated QB with the #1 pick.

And unless if he's uber raw, he should start imo, so grabbing a guy to start over him in FA would be pointless.

reaching for a player to fill a need is the best way imagineable to screw up a team, that's why so many teams are at the top of the draft year after year, the Chiefs would be much better off grabbing one of the top players in the draft and waiting until the second round where there's actually value to be found

also, don't let last year's (and to a lesser extent 2011's) draft skew things, it's entirely normal for a rookie to sit for a year or so and learn the NFL game, you don't have to throw him right into the fire, it more often leads to bad results than good unless you have the right QB in the right situation, I still like the idea of the Chiefs drafting a QB in the second or third round then giving Cassel one more year, I know Chiefs fans won't be happy to see Cassel again, but I think Andy Reid can get at least decent production out of him, then you hand it to the new guy in another year

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

Whether a Quarterback is drafted in the first round or the seventh round doesn't make them better. You understand that, right? They are drafted based on how good they are. Right now, I don't see a single QB in this years draft class that is capable of starting right away. It's a terrible draft class.

The Chiefs are more than likely going to either get their largest need, or they will trade it for a whole bunch of picks. I really do think that Andy Reid is going to go after Alex Smith this off season. If not, he'll probably stick with Cassel. Cassel isn't good, but he isn't so bad that he's not serviceable in the right system. Andy Reid has done wonders with bad QBs in the past.

• Upvote 1

reaching for a player to fill a need is the best way imagineable to screw up a team, that's why so many teams are at the top of the draft year after year, the Chiefs would be much better off grabbing one of the top players in the draft and waiting until the second round where there's actually value to be found

also, don't let last year's (and to a lesser extent 2011's) draft skew things, it's entirely normal for a rookie to sit for a year or so and learn the NFL game, you don't have to throw him right into the fire, it more often leads to bad results than good unless you have the right QB in the right situation, I still like the idea of the Chiefs drafting a QB in the second or third round then giving Cassel one more year, I know Chiefs fans won't be happy to see Cassel again, but I think Andy Reid can get at least decent production out of him, then you hand it to the new guy in another year

Why wait till next year? Why not grab him now? Who's to guarantee that they will be in position next year to grab a Bridgewater, or a Manziel?

As a fan of a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in God knows how long, I'd be livid if a team right after me picks up one of those two guys and they turn out to be franchise caliber QBs. In today's NFL, if a player has the tools to be a true franchise QB, more then likely they will be gone by the end of he 1st.

And then my team turns out another sloppy 6-10 season with one of these "serviceable" QBs in FA, and have to give up a farm to move up to grab a QB.

Whether a Quarterback is drafted in the first round or the seventh round doesn't make them better. You understand that, right? They are drafted based on how good they are. Right now, I don't see a single QB in this years draft class that is capable of starting right away. It's a terrible draft class.

The Chiefs are more than likely going to either get their largest need, or they will trade it for a whole bunch of picks. I really do think that Andy Reid is going to go after Alex Smith this off season. If not, he'll probably stick with Cassel. Cassel isn't good, but he isn't so bad that he's not serviceable in the right system. Andy Reid has done wonders with bad QBs in the past.

What is "serviceable" gonna get you? More 6-10, 8-8 seasons? At least by grabbing a guy like Geno Smith, or Murray you know you are at least getting a QB with the tools to be a top 10 QB. Something you already know you don't have in Cassel.

Signing a guy who was considered a bust for 5+ years until he was put into an extremely controlled offense to finally succeed isn't going to get you anywhere.

And whether people want to acknowledge it or not, where you draft a QB matters way more times then not. The most talented QBs will always go in the first, and your chances of finding a Big Ben, Matt Ryan, etc in the later rounds happens very little. Hell, even out of the top 10 with the way they are flying off the board now.

There's no other position where the round he is picked is a bigger indication of the QB's likelihood to succeed then the QB position.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Why wait till next year? Why not grab him now? Who's to guarantee that they will be in position next year to grab a Bridgewater, or a Manziel?

As a fan of a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in God knows how long, I'd be livid if a team right after me picks up one of those two guys and they turn out to be franchise caliber QBs. In today's NFL, if a player has the tools to be a true franchise QB, more then likely they will be gone by the end of he 1st.

And then my team turns out another sloppy 6-10 season with one of these "serviceable" QBs in FA, and have to give up a farm to move up to grab a QB.

where did I say wait until next year to draft a new QB? I said the Chiefs should take a QB in the second or third round because nobody in this draft is worth taking #1 then let him sit behind Cassel for a year and learn the system and how to play in the League, then give him the opportunity to win the starting job next year

at this point I haven't seen anyone claim any of the QBs in this class are obvious true franchise QBs (Luck/RG3/Newton types) but then again I don't pay a whole lot of attention to college football so I may be missing somebody who'll shine during the predraft stuff, which obviously would change things, but at this point I'll be really surprised if none of the top QBs aren't there at the top of the second

where did I say wait until next year to draft a new QB? I said the Chiefs should take a QB in the second or third round because nobody in this draft is worth taking #1 then let him sit behind Cassel for a year and learn the system and how to play in the League, then give him the opportunity to win the starting job next year

But wouldn't that strategy potentially put you into a trap? Let's say the Chiefs take a guy in round two/three this year; he sits on the bench for all of 2013. Now the 2014 draft rolls around, the Chiefs have a top 5 pick, and there's a QB who they really like, who they feel is a franchise signal caller.

Do you abandon your project quarterback and essentially make your year's worth of grooming a waste? If so, will you get an equal value draft pick for him? Not likely.

Do you pass on the top 5 quarterback in favor of a 2nd/3rd round project who may or may not work out?

And even if you could get that draft pick back (essentially), wouldn't you be better served spending this year's pick on a player at another position who could contribute sooner?

But wouldn't that strategy potentially put you into a trap? Let's say the Chiefs take a guy in round two/three this year; he sits on the bench for all of 2013. Now the 2014 draft rolls around, the Chiefs have a top 5 pick, and there's a QB who they really like, who they feel is a franchise signal caller.

Do you abandon your project quarterback and essentially make your year's worth of grooming a waste? If so, will you get an equal value draft pick for him? Not likely.

Do you pass on the top 5 quarterback in favor of a 2nd/3rd round project who may or may not work out?

And even if you could get that draft pick back (essentially), wouldn't you be better served spending this year's pick on a player at another position who could contribute sooner?

the Panthers did exactly that and nobody's crying about Jimmy Clausen being a waste (though the argument could be made that taking him was a waste anyway, but that's beside the point)

if another QB blows everyone away next season and you're in position to take him, you do it and don't look back, otherwise sit on the QB you've been working with (assuming you're confident in his development) and take someone else, or trade back with someone who wants next year's top QB

Edited by oochymp

Clausen was in a different situation. We had given him a shot. Razor is saying a guy who you sent on the bench for all of 2013, not someone who played and sucked big time.

Clausen was in a different situation. We had given him a shot. Razor is saying a guy who you sent on the bench for all of 2013, not someone who played and sucked big time.

are you saying the Panthers wouldn't have taken Newton if Clausen hadn't played as a rookie? because I don't think that's true, but I suppose it's not something we can really know, so maybe they would have stuck with developing Clausen, looking at it again I didn't remember how much Clausen played his rookie year (13 games, 10 starts) but even without that playing time I would think a year in the system would be enough time to see if a guy is picking things up or if you can justify dumping him or turning him into a backup

Edited by oochymp