Sign in to follow this  
Skynyrd

Should the NFL require turf fields?

After this recent playoff game and the awful conditions of the field.

Should the NFL require teams in colder climates to have turf? The Redskins currently are trying to grow grass in the winter which obviously is a poor idea.

Teams invest millions of dollars into these players and 2 guys suffered major knee injuries in that game.

Turf is terrible for your knees too is it not? They always talk about how that fucks up baseball players.

Turf isn't the same as it was back in the day. And no way is the field they just played on safer.

I know the Packers use a hybrid of some kind. Basically a reinforced natural grass, and it is pretty stellar.

It's all about the maintenance and up-keeping (or lack thereof) that contributes to bad field conditions. And then you can pretend everything Zack said is in my post too (+1). :laugh:

Yeah not every grass field is going to be as bad as the ones in Washington or Pittsburgh. It's not like turf are injury-proof or even better.

Something like this could be a gateway to an argument that every stadium needs a roof of some sort because players can slip in the rain and snow. We don't need to go down that path.

Same field that AP tore his ACL on last year at around the same time...roughly. Not saying it's entirely the field's fault, but I will say the Redskins have one of the shittiest fields coming down the stretch.

Don't see those kind of awful conditions in many other places...especially during the playoffs.

Turf is worse than grass for the knees and many other injuries. The way each team manages their facilities is up to them and those teams with horrible fields are well aware. The resources to maintain effective natural grass is out there, but it can get really expensive so that's why most teams just go to turf or leave it alone.

Grass should be allowed but if you want to have it, you have to make sure you can keep the conditions good.

Same field that AP tore his ACL on last year at around the same time...roughly. Not saying it's entirely the field's fault, but I will say the Redskins have one of the shittiest fields coming down the stretch.

Don't see those kind of awful conditions in many other places...especially during the playoffs.

Peterson's was due to getting hit, though. I don't know how Clemons injured his knee, so it's still probably a valid point.

I think it would be a better idea to have NFL officials inspect the field. If it's not up to par fine the team harshly. Hitting teams in their pockets is enough motivation to make sure the conditions of the field is stressed.

Peterson's was due to getting hit, though. I don't know how Clemons injured his knee, so it's still probably a valid point.

I would agree with you on Peterson but 99 times out of 100 a player's leg comes out from under him on that hit. Whatever happened that made his foot stay in the ground definitely had something to do with the condition of the field.

Also, I think all fields should be grass and that there should be no domes. Football is an outdoor sport. It ought to be played outdoors, regardless of climate. It's part of the game.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Mandatory turf? Hell no. Football belongs on grass and if a team wants turf, that's fine, but making it mandatory would be terrible.

Furthermore, knee injuries are more likely on turf according to some studies done.

http://www.reuters.c...E84002Q20120501

Players are going to get injured one way or another. We've had enough mandates that are ruining the game to try and "increase player safety" under Goodell already.

So much this. The 49ers use a variant of Bluegrass on their field and it kicks ass. Way better than turf.

The Packers also use a similar surface called Kentucky Bluegrass (which grows well in cold climates) mixed with strands of artificial grass. Maybe the Redskins should think of moving to that, instead of the shit they're using now.

Ya. The Packers also use like a sand mixture underneath instead of soil/dirt so that water and whatever else can be drained off more easily and quickly. Those groundskeepers keep Lambeau looking mighty fine. :yep:

Ya. The Packers also use like a sand mixture underneath instead of soil/dirt so that water and whatever else can be drained off more easily and quickly. Those groundskeepers keep Lambeau looking mighty fine. :yep:

Awesome. Whatever the Packers are doing, they're doing it right. Because that field always looks great regardless of the time of year.