Bay

NHL General thread

well, the good news is we're getting back to back games against Florida, the bad news is even if we win both we'll still be in the conference cellar bag.gif

Yep, Saturday at 1 in the Rock and Sunday night at 7:30 in Pittsburgh. Really hope we can at least win one of these.

well, the good news is we're getting back to back games against Florida, the bad news is even if we win both we'll still be in the conference cellar bag.gif

Nearly in the conference cellar in the West!

This is an old debate but this hockey section is more active than it has been in awhile, so...

Anybody else not like the fact that you get 1 point for losing in OT/shootout? I say winner gets 2, loser gets 0, every time. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

As some of you know I'm strongly anti-shootout and pro-tie, but that's its own discussion.

This is an old debate but this hockey section is more active than it has been in awhile, so...

Anybody else not like the fact that you get 1 point for losing in OT/shootout? I say winner gets 2, loser gets 0, every time. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

As some of you know I'm strongly anti-shootout and pro-tie, but that's its own discussion.

This year being all East vs. East and West vs. West it really is a bitch having these 3 point games. More than ever.

I've always not liked that you get one point for OT or shootout loss. Like you said, loss is a loss,whether it's in regulation or in extras. Giving the OT/shootout loser a point makes no sense. Giving 1 point to OT/shootout winner and 0 to a loser makes more sense to me.

I'm anti loser point and pro shootout.

I was actually talking about this with a friend last night and we both agreed with the superiority of the Olympic system (also used in the KHL) which gives 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for an OT loss, and none for a regulation win, it puts a premium on getting the win in regulation and avoids the extra point given out in OT games

I also wouldn't mind getting rid of shootouts and getting rid of the OT loser point, but I think you'd have to go to 5-on-5 in OT just to maintain consistency

Yeah, I love the shootout.

And good lord, I HATED ties. It would be a travesty if they ever got rid of the shootout. Ties are gay as fuck.

I don't mind being in shootouts because Varlamov is one of the best in them.

I hate shootouts, it's just a gimmick. I'd rather have ties than shootouts. To have so many points in a season come down to a gimmick similar to the three point contest or the home run derby is pretty dam pathetic. Could you imagine a field-goal contest to decide the winner of a football game or something so stupid?

I just don't like the fact that you get as much in a shootout win as you do in regulation. I absolutely agree regulation wins should be worth more. I'd like to see a system like oochymp mentioned where you get 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for OT/shootout, 1 point for losing in OT/shootout, 0 points for losing in regulation.

• Upvote 2

I hate shootouts, it's just a gimmick. I'd rather have ties than shootouts. To have so many points in a season come down to a gimmick similar to the three point contest or the home run derby is pretty dam pathetic. Could you imagine a field-goal contest to decide the winner of a football game or something so stupid?

I just don't like the fact that you get as much in a shootout win as you do in regulation. I absolutely agree regulation wins should be worth more. I'd like to see a system like oochymp mentioned where you get 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for OT/shootout, 1 point for losing in OT/shootout, 0 points for losing in regulation.

Absolutely nailed it. Bravo. :clap:

Unfortunately, the shootout is a gimmick that's here to stay, and so given that, I'd like to see an upgrade to the Olympic points system as well: 3 points distributed for every game.

Goalie controversy in Winnipeg.

lol forgot the troll

Edited by Bay

First off, I totally dislike the shootout. Never got interested in it.

The main reason the shootout was put in was to please American TV (said by an NHL executive back in 2007 who didn't give his name) as ties are normally unpopular. That said I agree with this post. The shootout is nothing but a gimmick that takes away from the team aspect of the game. Not to mention you get rewarded for a loss? Come on, that's like passing a student who had a failing mark in class or giving a license to a terrible driver. Also it has the horrible effect of screwing up the standings even more.

The ROW tiebreaker that was put in is a small step in the right direction but I feel more needs to be done. I like what Jets and oochymp suggested, as it will put more importance in winning in regulation than winning in an individual skills contest.

I would also like to suggest putting the overtime period back to 10 minutes as it was before, but keep the 4 on 4. I think that would cut down on the amount of shootouts even more. Yes I know there are going to be concerns about more ice time and possible injuries, but not as much as people would think.

Edited by BigBen07

What a great goalie Martin Brodeur is. Really.

What a great goalie Martin Brodeur is. Really.

Yeah, that was a fun game yesterday.

Pens killed themselves with all the penalties. Round 2 at your place!

Mav a little advice for your fantasy team, drop Josh Harding and pick up another skater.

I'll let you know about any more genius moves.

Edited by Bay

Pens-Devils games are always fun :yep:

Yeah,we fucked ourselves with all those penalties. Hopefully we cut on those tonight. Time to take over the Eastern Conference lead.

Mav a little advice for your fantasy team, drop Josh Harding and pick up another skater.

I'll let you know about any more genius moves.

:D

Fuck the Red Wings but I'm glad only two points went out.