Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Bears hire Trestman to replace Lovie

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Chicago Tribune reports the Bears have hired Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman as their new head coach.

The report comes via an "NFL source." The CFL head man and long-time NFL assistant beat out Colts OC Bruce Arians and Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell to replace Lovie Smith. It's a daring, if risky, hire for a team that all too often let dysfunctional offenses sabotage strong defenses under Smith. Trestman has been out of the league since 2004, but was well-regarded before his departure, and oversaw consistently strong units in the CFL. Although Jay Cutler will be adjusting to yet another new system in 2013, it's excellent news for his prospects that the lead voice in the Bears offense will finally be the head coach as opposed to a coordinator. Jan 16 - 1:57 AM

Source: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Looks like Trestman isn't wasting any time in putting his staff together...

@AdamSchefter:

Former Saints interim head coach Aaron Kromer has accepted the Offensive coordinator and offensive line coaching job with the Chicago Bears.

EDIT:

Another hire...

@danpompei:

BREAKING: Joe DeCamillis will be Bears assistant head coach, special teams coordinator, sources say.

Edited by BucD

Excellent hire. If I was a Bears fan, I'd be uber excited. He was the best guy available for a HC job IMO. IDK if he'll work out in CHI, but he knows how to keep the QB clean, and he hired an OC who knows how to do the same thing.

Good for Joe D, movin' on up.

Sources tell the Chicago Sun-Times that new coach Marc Trestman is likely to retain Rod Marinelli as his defensive coordinator -- as long as Marinelli wants the position.

Trestman and the Bears would be silly to dump Marinelli. The Bears' defense ranked fifth in yards allowed, third in points allowed, first in interceptions, second in forced fumbles and eighth in sacks. By keeping Marinelli in charge of the unit, there will still be some continuity even though Lovie Smith is gone.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

I'm very excited about this news I have been watching trestman coach the Als for a long time now and to what Dmac said he knows how to keep a QB standing up right. Im hoping Rod stays on a DC that would be so freaking awesome.

Good news for the Bears. Obviously Trestman has experience with Quarterbacks so this is a good hire I think. Maybe he can temper down some of Cutlers inconsistency.

Even though I'm not a fan, I can't say I'm particularly fond of the hire as I didn't agree with the fact that the Bears fired Lovie Smith to begin with. The guy had a 7-1 start and ended with a 10-6 record. They missed the playoffs because of something another team accomplished, not so much what Smith failed to do with his football team. They hit a slump, but they weren't playing too terrible.

Hopefully for the sake of the Bears, Trestman can do well and keep them from looking like complete morons in that front office.

I like this. I like this a lot. Hopefully, he can reconstruct that Bears offense and work on Jay Cutler to make them into an efficient offense, even better if Marinelli stays. Probably the best HC decision made so far.

Trestman is underrated as fuck. Can't believe how many people have been selling him short. As an Alouettes fan, I'll miss him. :sigh:

Congrats on the hire, Terry. :yep:

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis

The Bears have parted ways with holdover OC Mike Tice, QBs coach Jeremy Bates, WRs coach Darryl Drake, and OL coach Tim Holt.

Tice is widely respected for his work as an offensive line guru, but he's overmatched as a schemer and play-caller. New coach Marc Trestman has hired Aaron Kromer to take his responsibilities. We will certainly miss Drake's annual declarations about Devin Hester becoming one of the top receivers in the NFL.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Per Rotoworld.com:

League sources tell the Chicago Tribune that the Bears are "very interested" in Mel Tucker for their defensive coordinator vacancy.

Tucker, who has coordinated Jacksonville's defense for the past four seasons, runs a Cover 2-style scheme and would allow Chicago to make a smooth transition away from the Lovie Smith era. Tucker is not expected back with the Jaguars following the hire of defensive-minded coach Gus Bradley. Jan 18 - 3:31 PM

Source: Dan Pompei on Twitter

Trestman is an excellent hire. If I was Bears fan I would be pretty pumped about this. However being a Vikings fan, I am not too pleased.