SteVo

Eagles hire Chip Kelly

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/1/29/3929094/chip-kelly-adds-bill-lazor-to-eagles-staff

Chip Kelly may have found his quarterback coach. CBS sports' Bruce Feldman is reporting that Virginia offensive coordinator Bill Lazor has joined the Eagles.

The team is not confirming or commenting on any new hires until the staff is complete, so we won't officially know Lazor's role until then. However, he was a QB himself at Cornell and has been a QB coach for the Seahawks under Mike Holmgren & the Redskins under Joe Gibbs. So it stands to reason he'll coach QBs here since it's assumed that Pat Shurmur will be the offensive coordinator. Lazor was also an assistant on Dan Reeve's staff with the Falcons, so he's certainly worked for some pretty impressive bosses.

Despite being only 40, Lazor certainly comes with a wealth of NFL QB coaching experience, but has also been a coordinator at the college level for the past 3 seasons. He ran a pro style offense at Virginia and as our own Craig Powers points out, had some success there.

Lazor led the Cavaliers offense to instant improvement in his first year as OC, but effectiveness tapered off over the next two seasons. The UVA offense was among the worst in the nation when he took over, but shot up to 59th in Football Outsiders' S&P+, a statistic that measures explosiveness and sucessful plays, in 2010. The Cavaliers' drive efficiency also improved, according to FEI, as they climbed to 71st in 2010 and 51st in 2011. However, the offense took a step back in 2012, finishing 90th in FEI and 97th in S&P+.

It's interesting that between Lazor and Shurmur, Kelly has added guys to his offensive staff with NFL experience and that aren't related to the spread offense. The speculation is that since Kelly is arguably the foremost authority on the spread, he's surrounding himself with pro style NFL guys and his offense will some type of hybrid of the two.

Eagles probably won't keep Vick around if he doesn't take a pay cut. Foles seems to be a decent option for next year, see what you have in him because no QB in this draft is really worth banking on.

CSN Philly reports there are "strong indications" the Eagles will pursue Ravens practice squad QB Dennis Dixon after the Super Bowl.

A source tells Phillymag.com that Michael Vick "came away very high" on Chip Kelly following a couple meetings.

By the end of last season's debacle, Vick sounded like a man ready to move on from Philadelphia. But after talking to Kelly, he's changing his tune. Perhaps he's even willing to accept a major slash in pay, especially after he realizes his market value will be lukewarm. All Kelly has said is that he "really liked his meeting with Michael," declining to give any hints as to his plans for the quarterback position. Kelly's decision between Vick, Nick Foles and possible outside reinforcements will be one of fantasy's biggest storylines over the next 2-3 months.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports the Eagles are still in an "evaluation period" with Michael Vick, and that money is the "top factor" in Vick's Philadelphia future.

In other words, even if new coach Chip Kelly decides Vick is a fit for his offense, the price will have to be right. It wouldn't be surprising if the Eagles were looking for Vick to slash off at least half of his currently scheduled $15.5 million for 2013. The odds are against Vick remaining in the City of Brotherly Love. Feb 6 - 5:50 PM

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

The Eagles are eligible to carry over a league-high $23 million from 2012 onto their 2013 salary cap.

In other words, cap space won't be the issue if Philly releases Michael Vick. The 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement stipulates that NFL teams can carry unused salary cap space into the following year. The Eagles saved up more than anyone, and the Jaguars have the second most carry-over-able money at $21.1 million. The 2013 NFL salary cap is expected to be roughly $121 million.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Report-Jeff-Stoutland-To-Coach-O-Line/906b339e-3c70-4a1e-b9ec-011bdf2bfb4c

According to a FootballScoop.com report, Alabama offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland will be joining the Eagles in the same capacity under head coach Chip Kelly.

Stoutland just completed his second year at Alabama, helping the Crimson Tide win back-to-back BCS National Championships. In his two seasons under head coach Nick Saban, Stoutland’s line produced some of the best linemen in college football.

In 2011, his unit allowed the second-fewest sacks in the SEC. Left tackle Barrett Jones and center William Vlachos were both named first team All-SEC. That year, Jones won the Outland Award, given to the best interior lineman in football. In 2012, Jones and guard Chance Warmack earned first team All-SEC honors. Jones switched to center but still found great success, winning the Rimington Trophy, given to the best center in the nation.

From 2007-2010, Stoutland served as the offensive line coach at the University of Miami and was the interim head coach for one game in 2010 after the firing of then-head coach Randy Shannon. At Miami, Stoutland helped several players reach the NFL, including former Philadelphia Eagles draft pick Brandon Washington and Ravens lineman Orlando Franklin.

Stoutland began his coaching career at his alma mater of Southern Connecticut as the inside linebackers coach in 1984. He spent the next several years working his way up through the college ranks, including three seasons as Syracuse’s offensive line coach. For two of those years he coached the unit protecting future Philadelphia Eagles franchise quarterback Donovan McNabb.

On Thursday, the Eagles also reportedly added former Browns linebacker coach Bill Davis to the staff as defensive coordinator.

Make sure to follow us on Twitter @EaglesInsider

According to CBS, new Eagles coach Chip Kelly "likes the idea" of keeping Michael Vick at a reduced salary, but "genuinely doesn't know" what he has in him.

Per a "person familiar with the Eagles' thinking," Kelly believes Vick remains "more than a viable thrower," but is spooked by his injury history and turnover rate. All of this is predictable, but what isn't is Vick's amenability to a pay-cut. The Eagles have cap space to spare, but the movement to keep Vick won't get far if he's unwilling to take a dramatic reduction in his $15.5 million salary.

Source: CBSSports.com

Eagles announce full coaching staff

Posted by Josh Alper on February 8, 2013, 1:46 PM EST

Reuters

We now know all the members of Chip Kelly’s first staff with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles made the announcement on Friday of the men who will be working under the new head coach in Philadelphia. Many of the names were already reported over the last month, including offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and defensive coordinator Billy Davis, but the Eagles had not confirmed the hires until Friday.

One new name did emerge among the expected announcements. John Lovett will make the leap from the University of Cincinnati to the Eagles to serve as their defensive backs coach, the same role he held at Texas Tech last season before briefly joining the staff of the Bearcats. Lovett has also served as defensive coordinator at several colleges, including Auburn, Clemson and Cincinnati.

The rest of the staff looks like this: Dave Fipp (special teams), Greg Austin (assistant offensive line), Jerry Azzinaro (defensive line/assistant head coach), Bob Bicknell (wide receivers), Erik Chinander (assistant defensive line), Mike Dawson (defensive quality control), Matt Harper (assistant special teams), Josh Hingst (strength and conditioning), Shaun Huls (sports science coordinator), Bill Lazor (quarterbacks), Todd Lyght (assistant defensive backs), Bill McGovern (outside linebackers), Rick Minter (inside linebackers), Justin Peelle (assistant tight ends), Duce Staley (running backs), Jeff Stoutland (offensive line), Press Taylor (offensive quality control), Ted Williams (tight ends).

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/videos/Eagles-Update-Meet-The-New-Coaching-Staff/761e5a56-db48-48d6-b085-6fe153ab8bbc

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/2/8/3968230/philadelphia-eagles-announce-chip-kellys-full-coaching-staff

Philadelphia Eagles announce Chip Kelly's full coaching staff

As we speculated earlier today, the hiring of John Lovett did in fact complete Chip Kelly's staff and now the team has finally confirmed the hires. Kelly will hold just the 2nd press conference of his Eagles tenure on Monday to discuss the new staff.

So here it is, your 2013 Philadelphia Eagles coaching staff.

Chip Kelly (Head coach)

Pat Shurmur (offensive coordinator)

Bill Davis (defensive coordinator)

Dave Fipp (special teams coordinator)

Offense

Bill Lazor (quarterbacks)

Jeff Stoutland (offensive line)

Greg Austin (assistant offensive line)

Bob Bicknell (wide receivers)

Justin Peelle (assistant tight ends)

Duce Staley (running backs)

Press Taylor (offensive quality control)

Ted Williams (tight ends)

Defense

Jerry Azzinaro (defensive line/assistant head coach)

Erik Chinander (assistant defensive line)

Mike Dawson (defensive quality control)

John Lovett (defensive backs)

Todd Lyght (assistant defensive backs)

Bill McGovern (outside linebackers)

Rick Minter (inside linebackers)

Other

Josh Hingst (strength and conditioning)

Shaun Huls (sports science coordinator)

Matt Harper (assistant special teams)

A few interesting notes on the staff.

No one has a better previous job title than sports science coordinator Shaun Huls, who was head strength and conditioning coach and combatives coordinator for Navy Special Warfare. The position he holds did not exist before Chip Kelly.

The most accomplished former player on this staff has to be assistant DB coach Todd Lyght. He's a former first-round draft pick of the Rams in 1991. He had 12-year NFL career as a cornerback registering 37 interceptions and six sacks. He even made a Pro Bowl in 1999. He has spent the last couple seasons as a coaching intern at Oregon.

Also coming from Oregon is another guy with a lot of NFL experience, 33 year old assistant TEs coach Justin Peele. He spent 10 years in the NFL and played in 151 games. He went to college at Oregon.

Rick Minter is a LB coach on this staff, but was also the head coach of the Cincinnati Bearcats for 9 seasons. The coaching tree he built up there is as impressive and most NFL guys. He's had 2 Super Bowl winners on his staff.

I can't even express how excited and optimistic I am about the Eagles future. We really needed a culture change and we got it. Chip was an offensive mastermind in college and I hope and pray that he can make the transition into the NFL successfully. Hopefully he can boom and take the league by storm (lol) but that's not my expectations. He finally finished putting together his staff

and I'm glad that he surrounded himself with people with lots of NFL experience. I honestly can't wait to see how this pans out. Chip and my team have my full support! Can't wait until next season. E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I can't even express how excited and optimistic I am about the Eagles future. We really needed a culture change and we got it.

That sums up my feelings as well. As I said in another thread, my goal for this season is 6 wins, but I'm still fucking pumped to see the Eagles again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137617/article/chip-kelly-adds-sports-science-coach-to-eagles-staff

Chip Kelly adds sports science coach to Eagles' staff

When Chip Kelly rounded out his Philadelphia Eagles coaching staff on Friday, most of the 22 names and titles announced lacked surprise -- but there was one curious addition.

Shaun Huls has been hired as the team's "Sports Science Coordinator," tasked with heading up an alternative training program for the Eagles partly based on his experience training Navy SEALs.

Rapoport: 13 storylines for 2013

Yes, the 2012 campaign is over. But no need to fret, football fans. Ian Rapoport provides 13 juicy subplots to follow in 2013. More ...

Huls previously served as the strength, conditioning and "combatives" coordinator for Navy Special Warfare, per USA Today, but now joins forces with Eagles strength coach Josh Hingst. Kelly is believed to be the first in the NFL to hire someone in this capacity, a move likely inspired by his previous experience with Navy SEAL training.

Kelly put his Oregon players through a regimen known as "Judgment Day" back in 2010, and we expect the Eagles roster to get a taste of the same this spring.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

I actually like the sound of this. If the Eagles were anything last year, they were definitely soft and needed discipline; something that Andy failed to instill in the team.

Seeing as though it's a real possibility if not already secretly decided that Vick is our starting QB, I believe that we will go Offensive Line in the 1st round. If Vick is the starter, it is paramount that they solidify that offensive line so he doesn't get hit as much. This could limit some bad decisions due to being pressured forcing bad throws and help out injury wise (hopefully). You give Vick some time, he can throw the ball down field and make accurate throws. The thing with Vick is decision making which is most important. Hopefully he can get in the play book and wisen up when it comes to reading defenses.

Eagles signed QB Dennis Dixon to a two-year contract.

Dixon to the Eagles has been in the works since the Super Bowl ended. He spent the season on the Ravens practice squad, and that contract ended on Monday. Philadelphia had already reached out to Dixon, and he'll be reuniting with his college coach Chip Kelly. He's likely not a candidate to start, but the Eagles are Dixon's best chance at a 53-man roster spot while he helps the other quarterbacks learn the offense.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

After studying Chip Kelly's Oregon teams, NFL Films' Greg Cosell observed that Kelly's offensive "foundation" is the running game.

We've been trying to pound this home; Kelly runs a spread, but it isn't a pass-happy spread. "It's an option-run game, with the quarterback as the initial decision maker," writes Cosell. Kelly spreads out opponents in four-wide sets and attacks with the run. Because the NCAA's wider hashmarks affect the starting point of each play, it remains to be seen how effective Kelly's strategy will be on NFL fields. We do love the hire for LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown's fantasy value. Cosell expects McCoy and Brown to line up on the field together, "consistently."

Source: Yahoo Sports

It's like Chip wrote in that file I posted a few pages back: spread out the receivers. If they have the DBs to cover the receivers, you have the advantage in the box, so run the ball. If not, pass it.

It really shouldn't even take some studying... The inside and outside zone reads are the two plays he runs more then anything else. His PDF thing on the USC website is like 6,7 pages of him explaining his offense and the whole thing is pretty much talking about the run.

It really shouldn't even take some studying... The inside and outside zone reads are the two plays he runs more then anything else. His PDF thing on the USC website is like 6,7 pages of him explaining his offense and the whole thing is pretty much talking about the run.

Just so happens the Eagles have a pretty damn good RB.

New Eagles defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga, freshly arrived from San Francisco, went all in during his introductory press conference. “I believe and I promise that we are going to shock the world,” Sopoaga said, via Jordan Raanan of NJ.com.

DREAM TEAM 2.0 BITCHES

Chip Kelly downplayed those words and Sopo did as well afterwards but when those words left his mouth, I face palmed irl and said, "please no, not again." I think our staff needs to have clear instructions with our players to avoid saying things like this in press conferences.

Edited by dutchff7

0-16 would be shocking, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Ron Jaworski predicts new Eagles coach Chip Kelly will have to "adapt" his spread-option offense in the NFL and that it "categorically" will not work if Kelly doesn't make schematic changes.

Jaws is an avid game-tape watcher and his opinion is always notable. "The offense we saw at Oregon will not be run in the NFL," said Jaworski. "I will tell you that right now. Categorically, it will not work. And I probably spoke to 20 scouts today, some head coaches, and what everyone is doing right now is preparing to stop this read option. Either a quarterback's gonna get crushed, or someone's gonna stop it. And I think it'll be a combination of both." Mar 15 - 1:35 AM

Source: 97.5 The Fanatic

Eagles TE Brent Celek believes new coach Chip Kelly's play-calling technique is "going to change the league."

"I’m not going to tell you guys how, but it will," Celek said Wednesday. "It’s something that I never even thought was possible in the NFL. Seeing the stuff he’s doing, he has a reason why he does everything that he does, and a reason why each play is called what it is. And it all makes sense." Celek sounds on board with Michael Vick, who called Kelly's system "refreshing," and "very innovative." We won't get a true sense of what Kelly has planned until the preseason.

Asked by ESPN's Sal Paolantonio to describe new Eagles coach Chip Kelly's offense, Michael Vick called it "refreshing," "very innovative," and unlike any offense he's played in before.

Vick has completed two practices in the fast-paced scheme. "It's great, it's awesome," he said. "It's nothing (like) I've ever seen before as an offense. It's very refreshing, it's very innovative. And we do a lot of things that just put the ball into guys' hands and allow them to go out and make plays and play free. ... It's been an awesome two days and we've gotta continue to work hard."

LeSean McCoy said Chip Kelly's offense "is like a freaking track meet."

"You’re going to need another back in this offense," said McCoy. "I think any back, no matter how great of shape he’s in, is going to need some extra help...It’s like a relay. You need extra guys." McCoy also said that the Eagles are getting off double the amount of reps in practice than they had in the past. It's yet to be determined how much Kelly's offense will resemble its Oregon incarnation, though it's sounding like the pace will be very similar.