housemd

Gonzalez Will Return "If the Price is Right"

Tony Gonzalez has increased his odds of retiring after the playoffs from 95 percent to "97 percent."

"He told me today he's moving up to 97-percent sure after that win last week," backup TE Michael Palmer said. "From what I can get from him, if we win the Super Bowl, I think he'll ride off into the sunset." Per Football Outsiders, Gonzalez has more receiving yards in 2012 (930) than every other age-36 tight end in NFL history combined (557). We would not be surprised to see him back at age 37 if the Falcons do not win the Super Bowl.

Win it for Tony!

Edited by Favre4Ever

I said last week on the radio show that winner of Sea/Atl was going on to win the Super Bowl. Stickin to it. Do it for Tony. :yep:

I pray to God we win Sunday. By far one of the most nervous things I've ever been through since 2004. This time, it's in our house. One win away from the the shot at the ultimate prize. I hope we do it, and end a HOF'ers career with greatness.

Love me some Tony G. Class act from start to finish. :wub: That Atl/Sea game was great. Super awesome game, and when it was all said and done, an all-time great got his playoff-win-cherry popped. I'd be surprised to see him get a ring this year, but I'm sure he's thrilled that he got to taste playoff victory. Win or lose Sunday, I'm glad he got to taste victory at least once. I just wish it could have happened in KC...

He said that he can play for another 3 years and be successful if he wanted to. If the Falcons win the Superbowl, he goes. If they don't, he stays. My 2 cents.

The only upside if the Falcons win the superbowl is that the GOAT Tony G gets a well deserved ring. Otherwise then that, the Dirty Birds can go off themselves.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much the only reason losing to them wouldn't be the worst thing ever is because of him moving on to play in a Super Bowl.

If they make it to the Super Bowl, I think he is gone win or lose. Not sure a whole lot could get him to come back, honestly.

Seriously though, I really think he could keep playing and at a relatively high level. Just seems like he doesn't want to keep going much longer.

I hope he comes back regardless if we win a SB or not. Its not likely either way though, I don't see TG pulling a Brett Favre.

I hope he comes back regardless if we win a SB or not. Its not likely either way though, I don't see TG pulling a Brett Favre.

Is he going to retire and come back? No. But he's pulled a Bert as far as talking about retirement like it's going to happen for a number of years now. Eventually you just have to do it or stop telling everyone it is going to happen.

I don't think there's a person in all of football (Fans, players, coaches, media, etc.) that wouldn't love to see Gonzo get a ring before he goes. He's probably one of the nicest/real guys in the league. We have to get him one. Go Falcons! Go Gonzalez! Sure fire first ballot.

I think Gonzalez comes back now. To be that close to a Super Bowl berth and then to have your team choke it away in the second half, but to know you're on a Super Bowl caliber team... I just don't see him retiring when he got that close.

Is Tony going to sign with a different team? If not and you are only coming back for a Super Bowl, there is not point. Matt Ryan isn't winning anything.

The Patriots could make good use for him as much as they love TEs.

Matt Ryan? Love the Matt Ryan hate. That's funny, how did Aaron Rodger splay against the 49ers? Not too hot. Hm. Matt Ryan did pretty well. Outside of the fumble, he really hadn't any errors. The interception was only thrown because Roddy fell down on a timing route. If you watched the play, you would see that.

Shit happens. Gonzalez posted on his twitter he had a hell of a ride and didn't get a ring but he can't complain. I think he's done.

Matt Ryan? Love the Matt Ryan hate. That's funny, how did Aaron Rodger splay against the 49ers? Not too hot. Hm. Matt Ryan did pretty well. Outside of the fumble, he really hadn't any errors. The interception was only thrown because Roddy fell down on a timing route. If you watched the play, you would see that.

Shit happens. Gonzalez posted on his twitter he had a hell of a ride and didn't get a ring but he can't complain. I think he's done.

The fact that you are using Aaron Rodgers as the standard already makes your argument invalid.

If the Falcons could play half as well in the 2nd half as they did the first, they would have won that game. I am not sure there is a more underachieving team in the league than the Atlanta Falcons. You aren't Super Bowl contenders for years to come, you are perennial chokers for years to come. Your optimism is nice, but unwarranted and unsupported.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Ryan played awful in the second half. Again. The Niners just didn't choke at the end like the Seahawks did last week.

There is more to being a good QB, or rather, playing well as a QB, than just not turning the ball over.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

I'm not using Aaron Rodgers' career as a standard Favre. That's where you're misinterpreting here. I'm using one game against the 49ers to show that the 49ers are no slouch. You guys are all forgetting they have a great defense. Putting it all on Matt Ryan, and not giving any credit to the 49ers.

Matt Ryan 30/42 for 396 yards, 3 TDs 1 INT.

Did you know that he had 7 incomplete passes in the first half alone? That's 5 incompletions in the second half, yet he played terrible? The interception came on Roddy White slipping on a 8 yard in route timing route. Matt Ryan had already thrown the ball, those plays are something our offense has always done well, when a receiver is on the ground, there's nothing you can do. He fumbled the football on what looked like a good snap. Not sure what happened. He never used to do that crap. That was his third one this year, I don't know if him and McClure just haven't been on the same page or what, but it's not the norm and it's got to be attributed to something between him and McClure. Or maybe he just let his nerves get to him. Good possibility.

But to sit and preach how "There's more to being a good QB than turnovers!" That's sort of a moot point. Time and time again we've watched Matt Ryan bring his team down field and win games in late situations. You smash him for giving playoff games away in the past. The one game he does play well, you give him no credit? Lol. You take away that fumble (Which I know you obviously can't) and you'd still be talking like he's terrible because that's just what this forum is full of. Once you get on or off of someone, that's it. No one can look at their actual performance, just their personal taste. To say Matt Ryan played a awful second half is a stretch from a rival Panthers fan. That's like me saying that Cam Newton was absolute garbage in the first Panthers/Falcons game this year.

It's not all on Ryan, I never said that.

But your offense scoring zero points in the second half is mostly on the QB. Excuses can only take you so far, at the end of the day, your offensive production rests squarely on the shoulders of your QB.

• Upvote 1

I know what you're saying. However, watching that game, don't sit and tell me the playcalling didn't get lazy. We should have been going for the throat right out of the gate and we didn't. We played the "Let's protect the football" game again. It never works, and I don't know why they continue to do the shit.

I do agree that we probably would have scored on that drive had he not fumbled, we were going right down the field at the time. But our defense was really where the game was broken down. They didn't change a thing. It's like, alright we've went out and got two of the best coordinators in the league, yet the same shit we've seen year in and out continues to happen, there are no half time adjustments. I love Mike Smith, and he's only going to have one more year I think to get something figured out.

I know exactly what happened, I saw it with Carolina over the past two seasons. The Falcons and Panthers both lack the "go for the throat" mentality. The "kick them when they are down and its unsportsmanlike." Just because you go up 24-0 in this league doesn't mean you win, (Denver over SD). Never stop scoring on the opponent. Never let go. Pound them into the ground and grind your foot into their throat until the clock reads 00:00.

The Falcons can't do it in the playoffs. The Panthers don't do it period. And I'm sick of watching good teams not finish games. Seen it way too much.

• Upvote 1

I'm not using Aaron Rodgers' career as a standard Favre. That's where you're misinterpreting here. I'm using one game against the 49ers to show that the 49ers are no slouch. You guys are all forgetting they have a great defense. Putting it all on Matt Ryan, and not giving any credit to the 49ers.

Matt Ryan 30/42 for 396 yards, 3 TDs 1 INT.

Did you know that he had 7 incomplete passes in the first half alone? That's 5 incompletions in the second half, yet he played terrible? The interception came on Roddy White slipping on a 8 yard in route timing route. Matt Ryan had already thrown the ball, those plays are something our offense has always done well, when a receiver is on the ground, there's nothing you can do. He fumbled the football on what looked like a good snap. Not sure what happened. He never used to do that crap. That was his third one this year, I don't know if him and McClure just haven't been on the same page or what, but it's not the norm and it's got to be attributed to something between him and McClure. Or maybe he just let his nerves get to him. Good possibility.

But to sit and preach how "There's more to being a good QB than turnovers!" That's sort of a moot point. Time and time again we've watched Matt Ryan bring his team down field and win games in late situations. You smash him for giving playoff games away in the past. The one game he does play well, you give him no credit? Lol. You take away that fumble (Which I know you obviously can't) and you'd still be talking like he's terrible because that's just what this forum is full of. Once you get on or off of someone, that's it. No one can look at their actual performance, just their personal taste. To say Matt Ryan played a awful second half is a stretch from a rival Panthers fan. That's like me saying that Cam Newton was absolute garbage in the first Panthers/Falcons game this year.

He had a FANTASTIC 1st half. There is zero argument to be had on the matter. But that doesn't mean he did anything in the 2nd half or that he deserves your praise.

11/17, 104 Yards, 0 TD, 2 Turnovers

19/25, 292 Yards, 3 TD, 0 Turnovers

Tell me which half was which, it isn't that difficult.

76% completion to 64%. 300 yards to 100 and 11.5 YPA to 6.1. A trio of TDs to none. No turnovers to 2 in back to back possessions during the most critical part of the game!!!

The difference is MIND BOGGLING. How can someone go from that great to that awful in a matter of half an hour real time?

And you want to sit there and tell me you finished great? That you couldn't have expected or asked for better?

Save it. You had the recipe for victory.

You had the big plays, which San Fran doesn't give up. You didn't have the turnovers that San Fran is keen to taking. You had Kaep in the absolute most desperate situation you could hope for.... Playing on the road, on turf, coming from behind. He's great either way, but thrives playing ahead, at home, on grass...

The PERFECT STORM.

Yet the epic choke that is Matt Ryan swooped in and stole the show.Just be thankful Pete didn't accept the gracious offering Matt gave him last week.. Otherwise we would be talking about firing Mike Smith and his staff.

Now... Don't get me wrong. The Niners played GREAT. Kaepernick was AWESOME. They raped your very souls... I don't want to take anything away from how great they played, especially in that second half.

The only thing in common between me and you. The Packers and Falcons. Is that we got beat by a better team, flat out.

I said after Week 1 that the Niners were more talented and better than the Packers. I said on the radio show before the game, that the Niners were more talented and better than the Packers (although my heart would not let me predict a Niners victory). I also said that Kaepernick would be the X Factor and that the Packers would NOT be ready for him and would have NO ANSWER for him. Low and behold... Here I am anxiously awaiting for some offseason Packer news already.

The difference between you and I? I've come to terms with reality. The loss and how badly we got beaten down. Out played, out coached, out lasted. I refuse to be too critical of you, because the loss is still really raw and fresh for you. BUt I expect you to come around shortly.

The sooner you can see that game for what it was. Matt Ryan choking once again, and the Niners bobbing their scrotums in your eye sockets... The better off we will all be.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Whoa... two best coordinators in the league? I like Dirk and Nolan as coordinators but let's slow down here...

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson
  • Upvote 1

Ryan had 2 costly TOs. The INT may not of been all on him, but he still threw it.

Tony Gonzalez told reporters after Sunday's NFC Championship Game loss that he's "probably" going to retire this offseason.

"It’s probably the last time I’m going to wear that uniform," said a choked-up Gonzalez. "I didn’t want to take it off, to tell you the truth. All good things come to an end and, like I said all season long, this is probably my last one. What an unbelievable ride." When pressed, Gonzalez said his mind is "pretty much" made up. Selfishly, we are hoping he reconsiders. Gonzalez is still a top-five receiving tight end in the National Football League.