DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

The Hip-hop/Rap Thread

Discuss anything/everything related to hip hop/rap, new songs, mixtapes, albums, artists, music videos, beefs, etc. I figure we have enough guys who listens to any music that fits under this category that we can start a thread. lol.

Let's just start by letting everyone know what/who you are into right now?

Me personally its the new T.I album, and A$AP Rocky :yep:

GO GO GO!

I'm so out of the loop when it comes to hip hop nowadays. It's in a horrible state imo and I don't bother listening anymore. I grew up in the 90s which was a golden age for hip hop. There isn't any substance in songs nowadays. Lyrics don't seem to matter anymore. Just a catchy chorus or a banging beat. . I don't hear anyone spitting anything hot. So if anyone believes other wise and knows of some hot current music, please don't hesitate to post a link.

I'm so out of the loop when it comes to hip hop nowadays. It's in a horrible state imo and I don't bother listening anymore. I grew up in the 90s which was a golden age for hip hop. There isn't any substance in songs nowadays. Lyrics don't seem to matter anymore. Just a catchy chorus or a banging beat. . I don't hear anyone spitting anything hot. So if anyone believes other wise and knows of some hot current music, please don't hesitate to post a link.

I'm not at all the person to talk to about this, but if you don't think there's good hip/hop out there, you're not looking in the right places. Also, separate the two terms. This popular shit you speak of is strictly Rap or Hip Pop, as some like to call it. Just like popular country is more pop than country, it is the same with hip/hop or rap.

Nas is still a badass.

Nappy Roots are awesome.

Jedi Mind Tricks

Immortal Technique

I don't know much more. I've sort of got my four artists right now, and even these four I don't know much about.

My favorite is Lil Wayne. :troll:

But really, I'm digging Kendrick Lamar lately. His stuff is good.

Already a fan of this thread.

Currently, all over A$AP Rocky, Ab-Soul, Casey Veggies, Childish Gambino, Curren$y, Flatbush Zombies, Hit-Boy, J. Cole, Jay-Z, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, Kid Cudi, Lupe Fiasco, Shawn Chrystopher, Rockie Fresh, Odd Future and XV.

2. Electric Highway is a solid tape, already love it, definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.
  3. The list for XXL's Freshman voting is up, and it could either be really good or really bad depending on if they fuck it up like they did last year.

Damn I should of posted in this thread, for what I posted in Lyrical Geniuses. Anyone interested in some good word play, rhymes and flows, check out my longgggggggg ass post in the Lyrical Geniuses Thread.

Everybody dig Outkast right?

I don't listen to a lot of today's rap/hip hop, but here are some of my "old school" favorites:

• Upvote 1

Recently got into an artist called J-dilla, after a recommendation from a friend. Dude is straight dope. Some of the sickest beats I've ever heard. Apparently he used to write/produce songs for ATCQ, Common, De La Soul and Busta Rhymes among others. He passed away from a rare blood disorder in 2006, but has had some stuff released posthumously. If you like the 90s hip-hop sound, definitely check him out.

Just a little sample:

Edited by RANGA
  • Upvote 1

Whenever I'm bored, I'll do a short little feature on a new artist that I think most people here might not of heard of yet. He may be a rapper, he may be a producer who just makes instrumentals. After that I'll post some other random songs suited to different styles of hip hop which you may or may not prefer (Backpack/Conscious rap, Gangster rap, Stoner rap, Baller rap etc.) So here goes round one.

----------------------------

One of my favorite new dudes is Action Bronson out of Queens, NY. He just dropped a new mixtape not too long ago, a collaboration entirely produced by The Alchemist (if you follow hip hop, you'll know the name) called Rare Chandeliers. It's completely free, google it if you're interested. It's a solid tape. Maybe not his best, but it's the most recent, and Al is always good with the production. Bronson is mostly braggadocio in subject matter, but it's just so god damned clever and often humorous (border-lining on cartoonish) it makes you come back for more. Like this song for instance:

First off, Bronson was previously a professional chef before he started rapping. So food and anything involved with it are very prevalent in his rhymes. Right off the bat he drops a food reference but it's the rhyme that follows that had me rolling immediately.

"Stick knives where you poop, back flips off the ledge, hang glide off the roof."

The first line starts as your typical tough guy talk type of line but the cleverness is how it's juxtaposed with humor by just using the word poop. It's juvenile, it's funny, and it's just an entertaining line. Also another thing you'll notice with Bronson in terms of the other lines, is his constant reference to doing acrobatic moves off of objects or in and out of vehicles. Which is in itself comical, only because Bronson has to weigh in around 300 lbs, and the visual of a short extremely obese Albanian pot head (oh yeah, he's Albanian btw) doing acrobatic moves of any sort is hilarious.

action-bronson-terry-richardson-8.jpg

Just imagine this guy somersaulting out of the moonroof.

Also, he has a random line about choking a duck and laying it on a plate to get roasted. As well as another one about having Taz and Bugs Bunny on his shirt. Come on, what else do you need? Not to mention Alchemist infusing posh British dude samples on the chorus talking about chandeliers is fucking hilarious. Especially the guy saying, "That's a terribly rare one." :rofl: It's so obviously sampled straight off of a Home Shopping Network type show, which as someone who's been in bands and worked with samples before, makes me smile.

Random Backpack Rap Song:

Random Everyday Guy Rap Song:

Random Party Rap Song:

Alright, that's round one. If y'all like this type of post, I'll do more.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

IDk, I kinda have to agree with BWare on this one. I think there a lot of rappers now who for the most part put lyrics above all else. The hottest guy out right now by far is Kendrick Lamar, and he's a great lyricist. And this is coming from a guy who has Ready to Die, Life After Death, and Conspiracy by BIG and listened to all three at least 200 times.

Already a fan of this thread.

Currently, all over A$AP Rocky, Ab-Soul, Casey Veggies, Childish Gambino, Curren$y, Flatbush Zombies, Hit-Boy, J. Cole, Jay-Z, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, Kid Cudi, Lupe Fiasco, Shawn Chrystopher, Rockie Fresh, Odd Future and XV.

2. Electric Highway is a solid tape, already love it, definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.
  3. The list for XXL's Freshman voting is up, and it could either be really good or really bad depending on if they fuck it up like they did last year.

You have a link to the XXL freshmen voting?

Also you are the first person I know to give Electric Highway any kinda praise. I'll listen to it when I get the chance.

I don't listen to a lot of today's rap/hip hop, but here are some of my "old school" favorites:

Illmatic is still one of my all time faves. The World is Yours is up there in my top 5. Elzhi (Detroit represent) did a pretty good job of doing verses over the album's instrumentals, but they pale in comparison to the original.

To touch on this for a second. I'm 27, so I grew up with 90's hip hop myself. This same perception comes up with every genre actually. A lot of fans of punk music, rock, metal, country, electronica, reggae, etc. have this same feeling when it comes to contemporary music. The reason being 1) like you already said, those same fans are out of the loop of recent music thus are only aware of the drivel that's pushed through mainstream media and mainstream radio, and 2) the human psychological phenomenon we all refer to as "nostalgia." We tend to hold the music we grew up with on an untouchable pedestal, and only remember the good music of that time period and completely block out/forget the bad music that was produced at the same time. For every Biggie Smalls "Everyday Struggle" there's a Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby."

But I'm not downing your opinion at all, you obviously said you were out of the loop and even asked to be put on to good newer music. That's what threads like this are for. Trust me, the current state of hip hop is not as bad as you think. Like with all eras there's the good and the bad. It's just in the present we're well aware of the garbage music promoted and force fed to us via marketing, that we can sometimes forget there's actual good music out there — we just need to look for it. That's what's great about the internet, it's all at our finger tips.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty outta touch with most rappers these days, I'm an old school guy listening to Big L, Pac, Biggie, Eazy-E, DMX, BoneThugs etc on the reg...but the new school guys I listen too are

TI, Jeezy, Lamarr, Cudi, and that's about it...

Lately I've been listening alot to Vinnie Paz, JMT, AOTP, that's some real shit right there.

You have a link to the XXL freshmen voting?

Also you are the first person I know to give Electric Highway any kinda praise. I'll listen to it when I get the chance.

http://www.xxlmag.com/10spot/

You can only vote for one guy, and apparently they already have the 9 others selected. Lame. They better not fuck it up like they did last year.

Electric Highway is pretty damn solid. Rockie isn't the sterotypical MMG rapper. The mixtape itself is a bit inconsistent, there's some really, really good tracks, and then there's some like "Is this the same guy?" The use of autotune is pretty shitty, but other than that, it's a solid mixtape. Production is solid, lyrics aren't bad, and overall worth your time.

http://www.xxlmag.com/10spot/

You can only vote for one guy, and apparently they already have the 9 others selected. Lame. They better not fuck it up like they did last year.

Electric Highway is pretty damn solid. Rockie isn't the sterotypical MMG rapper. The mixtape itself is a bit inconsistent, there's some really, really good tracks, and then there's some like "Is this the same guy?" The use of autotune is pretty shitty, but other than that, it's a solid mixtape. Production is solid, lyrics aren't bad, and overall worth your time.

Yea, the mixtape is alright. I never knew he signed with MMG though, some of these songs sound like he's got an identity crisis. I downloaded the tape, and took out a couple songs here and there.

Favorite producers?

No I.D is mine. He's the most versatile imo.

I'm really digging A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, J-Cole, Kanye, and Jay-Z right now.

I'm really digging A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, J-Cole, Kanye, and Jay-Z right now.

Can't forget Big Sean! Probably my favorite artist out there right now.

This is fresh as hell.

Love Currensy

Favorite song by him.

Along with Backstreet Freestyle.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Can't forget Big Sean! Probably my favorite artist out there right now.

Only person I like more then Big Sean in G.O.O.D. Music is Push T. Big Sean probably outshines everyone in just about every track he does with them IMO.

Cartoon & Cereal is one of my fav's of his too, along with The Art of Peer Pressure, and Sherane a.k.a. Master Splinter’s Daughter. One thing all three songs have in common? They give me that same vibe that old classic 'Kast records did. When Andre 3K was dropping gems non-stop.