Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Woody Johnson wants to explore a Darrelle Revis trade

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 23, 2013, 7:58 PM EST

Jets owner Woody Johnson is reportedly interested in trading the team’s most valuable asset, cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Johnson has expressed a desire to trade Revis, Jason La Canfora of CBS reports. La Canfora attributes the report to unnamed sources with knowledge of the situation. It’s possible that Johnson floated the idea in conversations with prospective general managers during the search that ultimately led to the Jets hiring John Idzik.

Revis is owed $6 million this year, which is a good deal if Revis is healthy and back to being the NFL’s best cornerback. But it’s Johnson could be worried that Revis will struggle to regain his old form in his recovery from a torn ACL. And La Canfora also reports that Johnson thinks Revis is going to want a lot more money after the 2013 season, when he can become an unrestricted free agent, and that the Jets might be better off getting something for him now than getting nothing for him a year from now.

If the Jets are resigning themselves to the idea that it will take a full year to fix the mess that was the 2012 season, then trading Revis could be the way to begin the rebuilding.

Source: ProFootballTalk

If he doesn't come back the same, then I would trade him. But if he does and they trade him... that's bad on their part. Well see how he does in the offseason.

This is more than fine with me. Before I start let me just preface this by saying Revis is my favorite player on this team and I would miss him greatly. But...

He just tore his ACL. Yes he was the best in the game BEFORE his injury. Will he still be? Maybe. Maybe not.

His contract is up after this year and there is absolutely no guarantee he'll come back. We probably...err definitely....won't be Super Bowl contenders this year so why keep a player who may be gone after this year anyways when you can get value.

Part of the reason we probably couldn't re-sign him is because we are so against the cap. His contract being one reason. Trading his contract would give us a little bit more relief.

If we could get some decent pieces for the future (especially offensively) for Revis it's way worth it in my mind. Not to mention our pass defense wasn't that bad without him this year.

This is more than fine with me. Before I start let me just preface this by saying Revis is my favorite player on this team and I would miss him greatly. But...

He just tore his ACL. Yes he was the best in the game BEFORE his injury. Will he still be? Maybe. Maybe not.

His contract is up after this year and there is absolutely no guarantee he'll come back. We probably...err definitely....won't be Super Bowl contenders this year so why keep a player who may be gone after this year anyways when you can get value.

Part of the reason we probably couldn't re-sign him is because we are so against the cap. His contract being one reason. Trading his contract would give us a little bit more relief.

If we could get some decent pieces for the future (especially offensively) for Revis it's way worth it in my mind. Not to mention our pass defense wasn't that bad without him this year.

People said the same about A.P. I know they are two different people but I'd be willing to take my chances. Even if he does lose a step, he'd still probably be better then 3/4 of the corners in the league.

And to your point, the Jets did have a good year without him. 2nd in pass defense. I would love to see where he lands. I'd be happy with him.

Edited by dutchff7

:pray: please make this move Bucs, we could be 1 decent CB away from being a much better D next year.

Good thing the Cardinals front office got revamped. They'd probably trade a 1st round, a future 1st round and Patrick Peterson for him.

The dude holds out every other year and he is already one of the highest paid corners. If the Jets really don't think they can re-sign him, you ship him. You can't let a guy like him just walk

People said the same about A.P. I know they are two different people but I'd be willing to take my chances. Even if he does lose a step, he'd still probably be better then 3/4 of the corners in the league.

And to your point, the Jets did have a good year without him. 2nd in pass defense. I would love to see where he lands. I'd be happy with him.

Oh don't get me wrong. In my personal opinion I think he'll return to form just fine. I was just stating one of the reasons why it could be a smart move for the Jets to trade him.

The dude holds out every other year and he is already one of the highest paid corners. If the Jets really don't think they can re-sign him, you ship him. You can't let a guy like him just walk

I think the Jets put some kinda language into his contract to prevent him from doing that again, it was something crazy. I'm sure the next team if he is traded would do the same.

Ya, i think that stopped him from doing it last time.. All the reports were that he wanted to and was intending to... Then it got leaked that they had added it to his previous contract. lol. Ownd.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130424/article/new-york-jets-to-explore-all-options-regarding-darrelle-revis

I'd like for him to come to Tampa, we desperately need a CB. But I know we wouldn't pay fool's gold for him because of the mistake we did with Wright. Anyways maybe he'd be a good fit in Denver since Bailey is getting burnt. Colts, Dolphins, and Browns are also good teams for him to land to. Thoughts?

I think that it may have a little less to do with the Jets wanting to trade Revis, and more with the fact that they aren't going to be able to afford him after this next season. If they can't afford him, and they want to truly rebuild the franchise then they may as well trade him and get the most value they can out of him.

Not to mention there's no saying how he will look as he returns from his ACL. Antonio Cromartie played great for the Jets down the stretch. I'm not trying to downplay Revis' importance to the Jets defense, but if you can't afford a guy, then don't try to and get some value.

• Upvote 1

Well the Jets haven't confirmed that they will be trading him...just that they're "exploring all options". That could mean anything at the moment, especially with a new GM coming in. But with that said, I hope he gets traded to a team where he has a legitimate shot at the playoffs. $6mil in 2013 is damn good value for someone of his quality. Will just be a matter of how well he bounces back from his injury.

Wonder what the trade package would look like that lands Revis.

I will say one thing, traded or not - Derrelle Revis is a good team mate to sit and say that he wants to be a Jet for his entire career, even knowing that he probably won't be seeing a ring in his time with them. They've got a long road to recovery right now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130424/article/new-york-jets-to-explore-all-options-regarding-darrelle-revis

I'd like for him to come to Tampa, we desperately need a CB. But I know we wouldn't pay fool's gold for him because of the mistake we did with Wright. Anyways maybe he'd be a good fit in Denver since Bailey is getting burnt. Colts, Dolphins, and Browns are also good teams for him to land to. Thoughts?

I think some good landing spots would be:

:Broncos: For the same reason you mentioned. Champ is getting old and it's showing on the field. Broncos secondary needs some serious work after the display they put on the field which cost them the play offs.

:Bears: This is just a scary thought. If the new regime in Chicago can get things more consistent on the offensive side of the ball, this could be a very dangerous move.

:Bengals: I really like their defense. Adding a corner like Revis in the mix with how ferocious their D-line could make this defense a lot better imo. Add another receiving weapon for Dalton and they could get further in the play offs imo.

:Giants: It burns my soul to say this, but I think the G-men would be a good fit as well. Corey Webster had a HORRIBLE year and adding Revis to that defense with the D-line they have (if they show up) could be a good fit.

I would say the Eagles for homer reasons, but with our luck, Revis would come here and start getting burnt like he never did in his career...(cough NNAMDI). Philly is just cursed like that.

I think that it may have a little less to do with the Jets wanting to trade Revis, and more with the fact that they aren't going to be able to afford him after this next season. If they can't afford him, and they want to truly rebuild the franchise then they may as well trade him and get the most value they can out of him.

If money is an issue, they should trade Antonio Cromartie so they can sign Revis. He is coming off a great season and I'm sure teams would be willing to give up a decent amount for him.

If money is an issue, they should trade Antonio Cromartie so they can sign Revis. He is coming off a great season and I'm sure teams would be willing to give up a decent amount for him.

Not nearly as much as we could get for Revis though.

If Mike Vick doesn't fit with what Chips trying to do, give Mike Vick a pay cut then trade Mike Vick, a 3rd round and a future 3rd round pick for Revis. :yep:

Edited by dutchff7

Michael Turner and John Abraham along with a 2nd for Revis. Sounds fair to me. :troll:

Lol, those dudes are ancient.

Edited by dutchff7