Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Top 5 U.S. Presidents

A cliche topic, for sure, but the politics section has been active lately and I'm curious to get some historical perspective from TGP. I'll withhold my list for now. Let's see 'em!

Theodore Roosevelt was the best president this country ever had. 2-5 doesn't really even matter.

Theodore-Roosevelt-9463424-1-402.jpg

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm going to give my list tomorrow. On the subject though, can we do a Top 5 Guys Who Should Have Been President list? I think that would be slightly less cliche and much harder to do.

1. Obama

2. Clinton

3. Nixon

4. Andrew Jackson

5. George W. Bush

Hope your panties are loose.

• Downvote 1

1. William Henry Harrison

2. Andrew Jackson

3. William Howard Taft

4. Millard Fillmore

5. Bill Clinton

I'm going to give my list tomorrow. On the subject though, can we do a Top 5 Guys Who Should Have Been President list? I think that would be slightly less cliche and much harder to do.

I'd be really curious to see some of the names people come up with for that one.

I see a lot of sarcasm in the inclusion of Clinton's name. Confused. He's certainly the best president we've had the last couple of decades. Maybe even as far back as three.

Too hard to actually rank them, IMO. So, I shall just give some names.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thomas Jefferson

Andrew Jackson

JFK

George Washington

Grover Cleveland

Calvin Coolidge

“Nothing is easier than spending the public money. It doesn’t appear to belong to anybody,”

Why is Jackson consistently rated in the Top 10 for most lists that I see? We did a bracket in AP History and he was the 4th Seed for his era, which baffled me. I seriously cannot look at Jackson and say he was even a remotely competent president. He doesn't even break my Top 20. Coolidge, too? Both of those guys' policies directly led to a panic/depression for which their successors were blamed. The "pet bank" fiasco had repercussions lasting until FDR's bank holiday, IIRC.

My Top 5:

George Washington

Abraham Lincoln

FDR (not for his economic policies, because that is controversial... I think he easily wins this spot simply because he was a beacon of hope for the American people during the worst economic crisis and war this world has ever seen.)

Theodore Roosevelt (I can't imagine what this country would be like had his trust busting not taken place.)

James Polk

Polk... what other President accomplished their entire agenda in one term? :p

• Upvote 1

I see a lot of sarcasm in the inclusion of Clinton's name. Confused. He's certainly the best president we've had the last couple of decades. Maybe even as far back as three.

How ???????????????????????????

FDR (not for his economic policies, because that is controversial... I think he easily wins this spot simply because he was a beacon of hope for the American people during the worst economic crisis and war this world has ever seen.)

By that logic, Obama ought to be in the top five as well. He did win the Nobel Peace Prize, after all.

• Upvote 1

How ???????????????????????????

He balanced the budget for once and otherwise had some nice policies. I say nice policies because I don't really know of others so I won't jump to conclusions and say he was a great president. I disagree with the globalization that he brought on with such things as NAFTA and the WTO. I don't like to include personal matters while analyzing their ability to lead the country.

I can't really look at any President after Eisenhower and say I would have been satisfied with their term. :shrug:

By that logic, Obama ought to be in the top five as well. He did win the Nobel Peace Prize, after all.

AND Obama has lead us through TWO wars, while FDR only lead us through ONE...

Obama's making a solid argument for himself.

:laugh:

In all seriousness, who do you think faced a bigger handicap en route to their presidency: FDR in being a cripple, or Obama in being black? I'll go with Obama simply because of media scrutiny. It's been said before but it's worth repeating: guys like FDR would never get elected in 21st century media culture.

Edit: At the same time, you could argue it would have been even harder for Obama to get elected in the 1930's, when racism was more prevalent and the civil rights movement was three decades away.

Edited by SteVo

In all seriousness, who do you think faced a bigger handicap en route to their presidency: FDR in being a cripple, or Obama in being black? I'll go with Obama simply because of media scrutiny. It's been said before but it's worth repeating: guys like FDR would never get elected in 21st century media culture.

I can't think of anything I've learned that leads me to think FDR received scrutiny because of his being a cripple. It surely existed, but I have a hard time believing it was as big as the "he's a Kenyan Muslim! We need to keep blacks out of office the Founding Fathers wanted whites to rule these lands!" It seems like there has always been a sympathy to physical handicaps, while there is always severe animosity toward skin tone.

Edit: At the same time, you could argue it would have been even harder for Obama to get elected in the 1930's, when racism was more prevalent and the civil rights movement was three decades away.

I think it's possible that Obama gets assassinated if he ran for office at the time. I don't even think he would have been considered or nominated. IIRC, blacks were still segregated in the military and military industrial sector prior to WW2.

He balanced the budget for once and otherwise had some nice policies. I say nice policies because I don't really know of others so I won't jump to conclusions and say he was a great president. I disagree with the globalization that he brought on with such things as NAFTA and the WTO. I don't like to include personal matters while analyzing their ability to lead the country.

I can't really look at any President after Eisenhower and say I would have been satisfied with their term. :shrug:

Define balanced because we were certainly not in the black as so many people like to claim.

WW2 was by far the bigger war (these two he is in are so minuscule in comparison) and Obama has done anything but lead. I could go on a tirade about his "leadership" through these wars.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

WW2 was by far the bigger way and Obama has done anything but lead. I could go on a tirade about his "leadership" through these wars.

I was being sarcastic. :p

I was being sarcastic. :p

Oh thank god...I was about to shit my pants. In fact I may have anyway.

• Upvote 1

Alright here it goes.

1) Theodore Roosevelt

2) Abraham Lincoln

3) Thomas Jefferson

4) John F. Kennedy

5) George Washington

Deal with it.

1.) George Washington (His foreign policy is still better than ours currently)

2.) John F. Kennedy

3.) Theodore Roosevelt

4.) Andrew Jackson

5.) Jimmy Carter

Edited by Ngata_Chance

5.) Jimmy Carter

Not sure if trolling...

seems like an appropriate topic since the Nationals just added a fifth President to the Presidents race, so here's their list:

George Washington

Thomas Jefferson

Abraham Lincoln

Theodore Roosevelt

William Howard Taft

obviously the first four were chosen based on Rushmore, and I thought Taft was an interesting choice, but it should be amusing if nothing else

my top five would probably go:

1) George Washington

2) Woodrow Wilson

3) Abraham Lincoln

4) Thomas Jefferson

5) Harry Truman

Not sure if trolling...

Absolutely not, I have nothing but respect for Jimmy Carter.