Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Rudy Gay traded to Toronto

By Marc Stein | ESPN.com

The Memphis Grizzlies and Toronto Raptors have agreed in principle on a trade that will send leading scorer Rudy Gay to the Raptors, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

Sources told ESPN.com the Grizzlies will acquire forward Ed Davis and veteran guard Jose Calderon from the Raptors and then move Calderon to a third team to ultimately make this a three-team deal.

The Detroit Pistons, sources said, are one of the prime options to take on Calderon, having pursued the Spanish floor leader all season.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Pistons have agreed to send Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye to the Grizzlies to acquire Calderon as part of the trade.

Memphis, sources said, is also expected to receive a second-round pick from Toronto as part of the deal.

The Raptors, sources said, are expected to take on Grizzlies reserve center Hamed Haddadi in addition to Gay.

The Dallas Mavericks, sources say, were also interested in acquiring Calderon but were not prepared to surrender swingman Vince Carter, whom Memphis coveted to help fill the void created by Gay's departure.

Source: ESPN.com

Edited by BLUE

Grizzlies could've made the WCF with the lineup they had before their dogshit trades. Getting rid of your best scorer and a more than capable defender at the 3 position is going to hurt you when you play the Thunder. Tayshaun Prince's glory days are over.

Good deals for the Pistons and Raptors though.

WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE Prince, but this had to be done. Even we traded for the wrong guy in Toronto, we got ourselves a pass first PG who at the end of the season will leave us with a ton of cap space.

Knight should still start imo, but behind him Calderon is a better option then Will.

I dunno. I think I would be putting Calderon in as a starter.

I don't think it is a great move for any party really. But I'm not a real big Gay guy. :troll:

• Upvote 2

I don't trust him with that defense. Singler, Calderon on the perimeter with Maxiel's lack of size would be a disaster. Especially if Stuckey joins them on the court which seems likely unless if Middleton and English start getting more PT. Plus it's too early to not try and develop Knight as a PG, and there isn't a better way to develop him then through minutes.

And this really isn't that bad of a trade for Memphis, not an all star move by any means, but it was a lateral one. No surprise they pull the trigger after they add Hollinger to their FO.

Ya... But the way he facilitates the offense is really something to behold. Obviously his pass-first mentality is what draws you in, but the guy can shoot and at a pretty good %, too.

Are there any other candidates to move to the bench?

I actually think Memphis got better. Not only does this allow them to focus on ZBo and Gasol, it allows them to rely on consistent ball movement instead of Gay's ball-stopping ways. Rudy Gay is as overrated an NBA player as there is, and Memphis will be better defensively without him and their offense will come around in a big way by the end of March/early April. This Memphis team is better now. Let us not forget that they also acquired one of the most improved players in the NBA this year. Ed Davis has been balling.

• Upvote 2

On a serious note, Rudy Gay's contract is terrible and he isn't as good as some people like to think. While Memphis is certainly not stronger from this deal, they haven't gotten much worse and their financial flexibility is better.

• Upvote 1

On a serious note, Rudy Gay's contract is terrible and he isn't as good as some people like to think. While Memphis is certainly not stronger from this deal, they haven't gotten much worse and their financial flexibility is better.

This. Like you said while I don't think they're better I think people are overrating the importance of Gay to this team. Remember, they made it within one game of the Western Conference Finals in 2011 WITHOUT GAY (farther then last year with him).

I agree with Bware.

Rudy Gay is a good player but he just doesn't belong in the Memphis system. He is a good defender and a good shooter, but this just allows more touches for Z-bo and Gasol - who frighten me way more than Gay does.

Gay took shots away from their big men and I really believe the Grizz will end up benefiting from this, especially in the playoffs.

Edited by The Admiral

I agree with Bware.

Rudy Gay is a good player but he just doesn't belong in the Memphis system. He is a good defender and a good shooter, but this just allows more touches for Z-bo and Gasol - who frighten me way more than Gay does.

Gay took shots away from their big men and I really believe the Grizz will end up benefiting from this, especially in the playoffs.

Imagine this team with spot up shooters. Seriously.

Memphis actually had a really awkward offense before this. I felt they didn't have an identity. Do they let Rudy Gay iso? Gasol/Z-bo post up? I think if they can get role players to knock down a few jumpers and 3's then they are going to be extremely dangerous.

Its looking more and more like Calderon will start when he gets the hang of the offense. I'm not a fan of the move at all because our defense is gonna take a beating unless if Drummond's minutes go way up. Having Calderon come off the bench playing around 28 or so minutes in the mold of how OKC used Harden/KMart is a smarter move. If Knight is gonna make a permanent move the 2, I seriously hope the Pistons look elsewhere for our PG of the future, cause Calderon is not a long term answer.

Calderon

Knight

Singler

Maxiell

Monroe

That's the worst defensive lineup in the history of the world.

Gay is a good player, but he was terribly overpaid. And the ball movement with him on the team is terrible, they may not have come out on top on paper its still a good trade for all parties.