Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Colts won’t re-sign Dwight Freeney, Austin Collie

ESPN.com news services

The Indianapolis Colts have informed Dwight Freeney, the franchise's all-time leader in sacks, they will not re-sign him.

"I was very surprised to hear they wanted to go in a different direction," Freeney said in a text message to ESPN's Ed Werder. "It would have been nice to retire a Colt ... My plan is to hit the free-agent market and see who has interest."

Freeney, who turns 33 on Tuesday and was set to become an unrestricted free agent, has seen his sack totals decline in each of the past three seasons. The seven-time Pro Bowler had just five sacks last season, his lowest total since 2007.

Freeney was a cornerstone of the Colts' defense and became one of the most popular players in club history after being selected with the 11th overall pick in the 2002 draft.

"Few people have meant as much to the success of the Indianapolis Colts as Dwight Freeney," Colts owner Jim Irsay said. "He has been a dominant player, which is all the more impressive considering his size for his position, and he has won a lot of games for this franchise. Dwight was an artist, a joy to watch, and the dedication he put toward his craft was a rare quality. We will miss him, but look forward to his future induction into the Hall of Fame and Colts Ring of Honor."

Despite starting only the final eight games as a rookie, Freeney still broke the Colts' single-season franchise record with 13 sacks, was named the AFC's defensive rookie of the month in November and December that season and finished second to Julius Peppers in balloting for defensive rookie of the year.

Freeney won battles on the line of scrimmage with his blazing speed and spin move, something teammates and opponents continue to try and emulate. He created nightmares for opposing linemen not only because of his ability to get to the quarterback but to knock the ball loose in the same motion. He teamed with Robert Mathis to form one of the league's most feared pass rushes for nearly a decade.

Fans appreciated his celebrations, a simple salute to those who showed up on Sunday afternoons, and players embraced his simple, down-to-earth approach to the game and life.

Freeney is the franchise's career sacks leader (107½), the only Colts player to win a league sacks title (16 in 2004) and his seven Pro Bowl appearances are tied for fifth in franchise history with Lenny Moore. The only Colts with more Pro Bowl selections are Peyton Manning (11), Gino Marchetti, John Unitas (10 each) and Jim Parker (eight). Marchetti, Unitas, Parker and Moore are all Hall of Fame members, and Marchetti is the only Colts' defender to appear in more All-Star Games than Freeney.

The Colts also will not re-sign oft-injured receiver Austin Collie, who played in just one game last season after rupturing a patellar tendon in his right knee.

Collie, diagnosed with three concussions over the past 22½ months and who left another game during that span with what team officials described as "concussion-like symptoms," spent four seasons with the team. He had 257 catches over his first three years.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Source: ESPN.com

Edited by BLUE

first Manning's gone, now Freeney, it is decidedly a new era in Indy

Makes sense, Freeney did not have an impact in the 3-4, and Austin Collie is always hurt. Guess this means the Colts are looking at the front 7 in the draft.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Free agent DE Dwight Freeney said Peyton Manning has been recruiting him to come to Denver.

Manning and Freeney spent 10 years together in Indianapolis. The Colts didn't even bother to make Freeney a low-ball offer, and he'll be affordable at age 33 coming off an unproductive season. We suspect a two-year, roughly $10 million deal with a decent signing bonus could take Freeney off the market. And he'd presumably like to close out his career with a contender. As a situational rusher to tag team with Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil, he'd be a nice fit in Denver. Feb 20 - 12:38 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Speaking in a Wednesday radio interview, free agent DE Dwight Freeney said playing for the Giants would be a "dream."

Freeney played college ball at Syracuse. With free agent DE Osi Umenyiora widely expected to move on, the Giants could be on the lookout for veteran pass-rushing depth. Freeney would have to be amenable to a team-friendly contract. The Giants have been in the business of getting younger, not older, this offseason. Freeney says his No. 1 priority is landing with a contender. Feb 20 - 2:31 PM

Source: Adam Schein on Twitter

Free agent DE Dwight Freeney says he would have taken a hometown discount to remain with the Colts.

"I’ll be honest with you, I was surprised the way it happened," Freeney said Wednesday. "I figured they would offer me something low and I would just accept it, go the last few years and retire a Colt." The comments are an indication that what the Colts saw on film aligned with Freeney's career-worst statistics. Freeney insists he has a "lot left in the tank," but his market is unlikely to live up to the hype it's currently receiving. Feb 20 - 4:39 PM

Source: Indianapolis Star

Giants definitely makes more sense than the Broncos. He'd fit right into the defensive scheme at New York.

Free agent Dwight Freeney will visit the Broncos on Wednesday.

ESPN reports the Broncos also "plan to host" free agent John Abraham. It's an indication Denver is moving on from free agent Elvis Dumervil, or at least trying to force him into a decision (again). Peyton Manning reportedly "wants" Freeney in Denver, and could be a key factor in whomever the Broncos end up going with at right end.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that free agent Austin Collie has received full medical clearance for both his knee and head.

Collie is coming off a ruptured patellar tendon and has a long, well-publicized concussion history. Doctors have signed off on his medical health, and even his wife wants Collie to play, according to Mort. Collie recently tried out for the Patriots. The Ravens could be another intriguing landing spot because of Collie's background with offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell.

This dude gets a concussion like every year. I'd be thinking about my health considering all the concussions he's had if I were him. But I'm not and not making the money he potentially could make so...lol

Agreed, Collie needs to retire.

As for Freeny, cmon Colts. Toss the guy the min and let him retire a Colt so we have a reason to even like the Colts. :facepalm:

As for Freeny, cmon Colts. Toss the guy the min and let him retire a Colt so we have a reason to even like the Colts. :facepalm:

Problem with that is that Freeney doesn't consider himself a min guy. Apparently he convinced the Chargers of that too.

• Upvote 1

Free agent Austin Collie is willing to sign a liability waiver protecting the NFL team that signs him in the event of another injury.

Collie has suffered multiple concussions and a ruptured patellar tendon since entering the league. Although he recently received full medical clearance, NFL teams are wary of Collie due to the league's "conspicuous" concussion initiatives. "He’s not an untouchable," said one personnel director. "But with all the attention (concussions) have gotten the past few years, and all the litigation and stuff, it would be hard (to sign him)."

Source: National Football Post

The kid just wants to play football. I wonder though, at what point do you start thinking about your life as opposed to your football career?

Collie should definitely be thinking about walking away from the game while he still can, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the offer to sign a waiver changes nothing for a lot of teams, I know personally I just wouldn't want that on my conscience

I read a few teams do have interest in Collie.

I wish him the best though. Great guy and I literally felt sick to my stomach when he was knocked out cold a few years back. More then once it happened. :(

Something always seems to happen with him.

Very good player when healthy and I personally wish he had walked away but it seems to be his choice to hopefully try to continue football so I pray he stays healthy if he finds a new team.

Edited by Jules